Rafa'd

The Fish

Rafa'd  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gouffran has to be the obvious one so far. How much of it is down to being a division lower (maybe he's just found his level) and how much is down to Rafa is difficult to say, but I do seem to remember him looking half decent in the Premier League when he first arrived, so maybe he was just Pardewed. Looks like he will be a useful player for us this season anyway. Rafa obviously rates Anita and Lascelles as players he can rely on and they haven't let him down at all yet. I'm glad he's seems to understand that Anita isn't a centre mid mind. 

Shelvey never played for us under Pardew but he's definitely been rafa'd, the tail end of last season, leaving him out and the way he was brought back in and has started performing have been quite telling.

Gouffran is looking like he's getting there, definitely a lot more of the forward/winger we bought than the nothing central midfielder we looked like ending up with.

Anita is a good shout as well, seems to be finding a position and identity under Rafa, no longer necessarily a utility man, seems to be our first choice right back at the moment which I'm perfectly happy with.

I think it's really hard to tell due to the standard of the opposition being far lower. I'd agree with others, putting the lower opposition aside, that Gouff, Shelvey and Lascelles look the most improved, especially Shelvey who is actually becoming pretty consistent now.

I think Anita has always been somewhat useful at right back so I'd attribute his decent form to be more due to the drop in division and playing consistently at RB.

Anita has really only been a useful rightback since Rafa arrived.  He barely ever played there prior to that.  He still looks like a shite midfielder.

Gouffran is clearly the answer to this question.  He'd been rendered worse than useless by Pardew and had contributed anything positive for a good couple of seasons.  This was despite him being a decent squad member before that.  Obviously he's playing against weaker opposition now but I don't think anyone can argue against Rafa's influence.  I think if we were playing in the premier league tomorrow he'd still be a useful squad player.

I'm glad no one has voted for Dummett.  He was shit under Pardew, shit under Carver, shit under McClaren and he's shit now.  He's just shit and no coach will be able to change that.

I guess I'm suffering from not really having been able to watch many games here, but I don't have the impression as it stands that Gouffran is going to develop into anything of any real significance. Alright he scored a good goal, but is he really contributing that much?

As I say, I'm not seeing enough matches to know, I'm just wondering if a few heads have been turned simply because of that strike.

Lascelles on the other hand has been part of a defence that hasn't conceded in 5 games... Again though, he's not been in the team for all of those games I suppose.

I think this question would be better answered later on in the season :lol:

When Gouffran 1st arrived he looked like a useful squad player, at least, in a division above this. One of many that lost his way since we came 5th. How long ago does that seem btw?

I guess I'm suffering from not really having been able to watch many games here, but I don't have the impression as it stands that Gouffran is going to develop into anything of any real significance. Alright he scored a good goal, but is he really contributing that much?

As I say, I'm not seeing enough matches to know, I'm just wondering if a few heads have been turned simply because of that strike.

Lascelles on the other hand has been part of a defence that hasn't conceded in 5 games... Again though, he's not been in the team for all of those games I suppose.

I think this question would be better answered later on in the season :lol:

Aye, I get your point from not seeing the games.

I think for me, Gouffron was the one that shrank away from being Parded.  He aint gonna be a Messi, but he now wants the ball and seems more confident.  As most of the lads are like, confidence is a massive thing.

Gouffran is providing much more balance to the team since he came in.  Rafa didn't seem to have complete confidence in Aarons to the point that he played Anita as wide player ahead of him.  Gouffran is never going to be one of the stars but he's justified his place in the squad and not just for that goal.  

And of course Lascelles never played for Pardew so I don't think even the kings level of incompetence could have done any damage to him.  He certainly has flourished under Rafa though.

When Gouffran 1st arrived he looked like a useful squad player, at least, in a division above this. One of many that lost his way since we came 5th. How long ago does that seem btw?

About six months before Gouffran signed I'd say ;)

About six months before Gouffran signed I'd say ;)

:D:razz: Obviously my memory is playing tricks with me, but I think the general point still stands. He looked a canny player when he first arrived. One thing that stood out was his movement was quite clever. His confidence drained away for whatever reason. Don't know if that's all down to Pardew, in fact it's not because he hardly did any coaching when he was here. Not that that reflects particularly well on him mind.

Had an eye for goal as well yet that goal the other day (which was a beauty, obviously) was his first in ages. Had a decent scoring record before he arrived too, given he's not an out and out striker by any means. Had a quick check and he's still only 30 as well.

:D:razz:Obviously my memory is playing tricks with me, but I think the general point still stands. He looked a canny player when he first arrived. One thing that stood out was his movement was quite clever. His confidence drained away for whatever reason. Don't know if that's all down to Pardew, in fact it's not because he hardly did any coaching when he was here. Not that that reflects particularly well on him mind.

About fucking time it did.

It's possibly the early onset of dementia (or perhaps not giving much of a fuck in recent years - or watching us much for that matter - or a combination of all those things) but I have much better recollections of goings on at the club a lot longer ago.