Alan O'Brien

Guest wheels

Hey.

Just wondering how Alan O'Brien is doing at Newcastle and what type of player he is. I'm Irish so would like to see as many young Irish as possible playing in the premiership. Is he good enough? All I know is that he's a left winger and we all know the last Irish left winger that Souness brought through the ranks.

I'm suprised he does make the Ireland U21 squad but McGeady and Kearney (Cork City) are left wingers that get more first team football.

Good luck for the rest of the season!

I was wondering that he wasn't allowed an extended loan spell earlier in the season because he was close to the first team, but then even Shola Ameobi and most recently got selected ahead of him for the position of left winger...

He's quick, which at least gives us something different. Big roar went up when he went to take on the full back which will hopefully build up his confidence. To be fair though, it's probably the only piece of flair play we've seen all season.

I was wondering that he wasn't allowed an extended loan spell earlier in the season because he was close to the first team, but then even Shola Ameobi and most recently got selected ahead of him for the position of left winger...

83457[/snapback]

Only reason he wasn't able to go on loan was because Queen of the South went out of some cup or other early and couldn't afford the wage payments.

Difficult to judge what he's like as a footballer so far but from what I've seen, I have never seen anyone move so quickly over the turf.

83457[/snapback]

Only reason he wasn't able to go on loan was because Queen of the South went out of some cup or other early and couldn't afford the wage payments.

Difficult to judge what he's like as a footballer so far but from what I've seen, I have never seen anyone move so quickly over the turf.

83463[/snapback]

He's just got little legs, so he looks even quicker than he is :(

83457[/snapback]

83463[/snapback]

Weren't Carlisle interested in extending his loan spell as well?

I still find it amazing that we rather play players totally out of position than giving players who can offer us natural width and the pace we are definitely lacking a chance. The worst was the game against Mansfield. There was the choice between O'Brien and Brittain. A left and a right winger. But the tosser decided that against the giants of Mansfield it would be better to deploy a right winger on the left wing...

83457[/snapback]

83463[/snapback]

Weren't Carlisle interested in extending his loan spell as well?

I still find it amazing that we rather play players totally out of position than giving players who can offer us natural width and the pace we are definitely lacking a chance. The worst was the game against Mansfield. There was the choice between O'Brien and Brittain. A left and a right winger. But the tosser decided that against the giants of Mansfield it would be better to deploy a right winger on the left wing...

83466[/snapback]

But there's no such thing as wingers though, is there?

He's quick and can beat his man and knocked an alright ball in on Saturday, but we've not seen enough of him to know what he's really like. Hopefully he's not one of these whose legs work quicker than his brain can.