Players we missed out on

Kid Dynamite

Was just thinking of all the players we were linked with that we either missed cos Ashley was too tight or decided on other clubs. Off the top of my head the likes of:

Aubamayang

Lacazette

Modric

Delle Ali

Rooney

Van Dijk

Mad that we let Forster go in hindsight too

Was just thinking of all the players we were linked with that we either missed cos Ashley was too tight or decided on other clubs. Off the top of my head the likes of:

Aubamayang

Lacazette

Modric

Delle Ali

Rooney

Van Dijk

Mad that we let Forster go in hindsight too

Forster wanted to be number 1 we couldn't give him that at the time.

If we're going back to the Shepherd years then Carrick would have to be one, which was because of Shepherd being tight.

Plus his belief that no geordie would ever want to play for anyone else.

Van Basten and Gullit were both recommended (by Chris Guthrie I think) in the early 80s. Although J69 will be pleased we never signed the former

Van Basten and Gullit were both recommended (by Chris Guthrie I think) in the early 80s. Although J69 will be pleased we never signed the former

Sure I read somewhere that we almost signed Schmeichel but then wouldn't pay up at the last minute because of him playing in Denmark.

Not long after we then spunked a load on Dave Beasant, who cost a lot more than Schmeichel ever would have...

I'd have loved to have seen Modric playing under Keegan. Not sure how he'd have done under JFK mind. The rumour was that Keegan wanted Schweinsteiger as well wasn't it, with the Milner money? No idea if Schweinsteiger would have entertained the prospect of coming here mind, he was still a top quality player at that point. Centre mid of him and Modric playing under KK would have been a bit special

I'd have loved to have seen Modric playing under Keegan. Not sure how he'd have done under JFK mind. The rumour was that Keegan wanted Schweinsteiger as well wasn't it, with the Milner money? No idea if Schweinsteiger would have entertained the prospect of coming here mind, he was still a top quality player at that point. Centre mid of him and Modric playing under KK would have been a bit special

Think the story was that KK was meant to have been promised Schweinsteiger when Milner left. The problem was it was bollocks as Munich and the player hadn't even been approached and, unsurprisingly he didn't want to leave.

We were stitched up by PSG over Weah as well weren't we? They used us as a bargaining tool then sold us Ginola instead. Can't remember the sequence of the signings but I seem to remember we went in for Ferdinand after losing out on Weah. Could have been quite a different side if we'd ended up with Salako and Weah instead of Ginola and Les

We were stitched up by PSG over Weah as well weren't we? They used us as a bargaining tool then sold us Ginola instead. Can't remember the sequence of the signings but I seem to remember we went in for Ferdinand after losing out on Weah. Could have been quite a different side if we'd ended up with Salako and Weah instead of Ginola and Les

We wanted to sign Ginola and Weah. Ginola deal initially fell through, which is when we looked at Salako but the deal was rekindled. As an aside, Keegan tried to sign Maldini at the same time as we bought Shearer.

He'd never have left Milan for anyone anyway even if the deal was accepted

out of the players in the first post, Modric and Aubamayang would've made huge differences to the squad

Modric is the one I look back on as a real downward turning point for us.

At the time us and Spurs were struggling in the league, they binned their manager, pushed the boat out on a class player and moved upwards under redknapp.

We cocked up appointments and "made do" with cheaper options and went completely to shit.

Brett Emerton is still making his way to Newcastle I think.

Didn't we faff about with Bony/think he wasn't worth it in similar fashion to Aubameyang?

Came in to post Brett Emerton. I think Oliver was still insistent it was happening, even when he was holding a Blackburn shirt.

Came in to post Brett Emerton. I think Oliver was still insistent it was happening, even when he was holding a Blackburn shirt.

"wide of the mark"

Keegan had it lined up for £3m and 30k a week allegedly and fat boy wouldn't sanction it

Weah later said "I hope the stories linking me with Newcastle were true. I love and admire English soccer. I watch it every Sunday on television back in Italy. It would have been and still would be a very real pleasure to come to play in England. I don't think PSG were honest with me because Newcastle were on the case before Milan came in for me with a £7million offer. I wanted to weigh up all possibilities and would not have signed the paper in Milan if I had known Newcastle were interested.”

Was that not Sami hyppia?