Vladimir Putin and Russia

Anorthernsoul

I think they sound more dangerous than they are. They're a relatively poor country still, and if push came to shove with the Americans I don't think they'd have the financial stamina for a drawn out conflict without making conditions on the home front desperate.

That said, their foreign policy appears to be successful. I sometimes wonder though if they and the yanks are in cahoots on the basis that having each other there as 'the big bad' allows justification for continued military expenditure and populace controls.

What they've done to Aleppo is a disgrace. What we're seeing in Syria is basically a US v Russia proxy war. A "stronger" president than Obama and we could have been in another Cold War situation.

Rogue-ish state. But only as expansionist and protectionist as the US. The yanks get better PR due to a tame mainstream media. Ukraine was being tempted to move towards the EU for trade and defence etc, they've put a stop to that in their "own inimitable fashion". I hardly need to mention occasions when the US have "intervened" in the affairs of other states they wish to jump to their own tune..

Edited by PaddockLad

What they've done to Aleppo is a disgrace. What we're seeing in Syria is basically a US v Russia proxy war. A "stronger" president than Obama and we could have been in another Cold War situation.

You might want to review some images of what was left of the likes of Fallujah after a visit from the US marine corps and the USAF.

You might want to review some images of what was left of the likes of Fallujah after a visit from the US marine corps and the USAF.

Also a disgrace. We only like to protest against our own and our allies though, it seems to me. You hear far less outcry about what the Russians are doing from the same quarters here.

My beef with Russia is also the regime. Putin is a dictator in all but name. The people there are the most inhospitable, awful lot I've ever encountered. No big surprise given how appalling the food and weather is, among other things. Hideous place.

It looked quite hopeful when Gorbachev was in but it seems to have gone to shit again since.

There's some stat about the UK that 85% of the wealth is owned by 5% of the population. I saw a claim that a similar percentage of the wealth in Russia is owned by 135 individuals.

It looked quite hopeful when Gorbachev was in but it seems to have gone to shit again since.

There's some stat about the UK that 85% of the wealth is owned by 5% of the population. I saw a claim that a similar percentage of the wealth in Russia is owned by 135 individuals.

i think it's mainly just posturing. We're not in another cold war just yet. The tragedy is it's innocent civilians in Syria who are paying the price. 

Yeah it's all about the civilians now, it didn't seem to be when ISIS were winning and Al Nusra were eating hearts and NATO were bombing (mainly Syrian infrastructure yet not the oilfields) and Turkey were buying ISIS oil. The West are winning its about dictators and regimes the West or their proxies start losing its about civilians. :lol:

It's such a tedious and boring old playbook yet people don't seem to have enough critical distance to it.

Civilians have been suffering since day one and from both sides.

Edited by Park Life

The World Cup is going to be great

:D Should be possible to engineer it so Russia, the USA and Iran are in the same group, I reckon. Maybe with Colombia too, just for a bit of random nutjob threat.

Yeah it's all about the civilians now, it didn't seem to be when ISIS were winning and Al Nusra were eating hearts and NATO were bombing (mainly Syrian infrastructure yet not the oilfields) and Turkey were buying ISIS oil. The West are winning its about dictators and regimes the West or their proxies start losing its about civilians. :lol:

It's such a tedious and boring old playbook yet people don't seem to have enough critical distance to it.

Civilians have been suffering since day one and from both sides.

what a load of bollocks. western imperialism has been pilloried on here. the russians deserve the same treatment