Vladimir Putin and Russia

Anorthernsoul

Just now, scoobos said:

I think thats highly optimistic. For all this BS Western media talk of " a build up we warned you about" - he started his mobilisation in August last year. we did nothing after he annexed the Crimea, because its just nigh on imposible to move NATO troops to nato borders and then feasibly think we can move across the "no mans land" to the Ukraine without massive losses on both sides and a definate escalation to global warfare.

Putin has said "Stop expanding, you promised you wouldnt expand this far" "Stop putting defensive weapons on my border" . that's his view and rhetoric .
We've said "fuck off, they are a soveriegn nation they can choose who they join".
So he's said, I have no choice, if you're going to expand your way, I'll do it mine.

It will get very nasty very quickly if you think we can take 6 months of building up, with international co-operation needed, against that mad bastard heading a totalitarian regime thats probably planned for this for over a decade.

I hate that I'm writing this, and I don't blame the USA - but trying to make out they are in some way a good force for prodding the bear for the last 15 years doesn't wash here. They were planning on intimidation working, so Putin is showing us he isnt scared. 

I am. Of both sides, they are both absolute extreme maniacs. 

So am I, for what it's worth. But only one side is waving guns around in the face of Europe. If this was happening on America's doorstep I might see it differently, but it's not. It's happening right on the edge of the EU, the last bastion of hope for the civilised world in any sense whatsoever (IMO).

We need to respond or he will keep going. People (maybe not you, can't remember - but people aligned with your view at least) were saying just a few days ago "oh he won't invade, it's posturing, he's living rent free in the US' head haha" and all that bullshit. Well he invaded. And he's gone for the whole fucking country. And I note that in those same circles, Putin is no longer the 'glorious madlad standing up to the US' but more of a 'well, you know, this is what happens... I hate it as much as you do, but we did ask for it".

You and I have no idea if he will or will not stop here, but the very fact that he has done this at all means we have to assume he won't. We need to respond in the face of fascist totalitarianism. Against someone who fans the flames of said fascist totalitarianism the world over.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

yup, i said it a few pages ago but standing aside and letting ukraine fall exposes the west's posturing about promoting and protecting democracy for what it is.

does it really matter that they're not in the nato club? and what's the difference between ukraine and other non-nato democracies such as finland or sweden? 

Exactly. It doesn't matter at all if anything that we've pretended to be over the years is actually true.

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

So am I, for what it's worth. But only one side is waving guns around in the face of Europe. If this was happening on America's doorstep I might see it differently, but it's not. It's happening right on the edge of the EU, the last bastion of hope for the civilised world in any sense whatsoever (IMO).

We need to respond or he will keep going. People (maybe not you, can't remember - but people aligned with your view at least) were saying just a few days ago "oh he won't invade, it's posturing, he's living rent free in the US' head haha" and all that bullshit. Well he invaded. And he's gone for the whole fucking country. And I note that in those same circles, Putin is no longer the 'glorious madlad standing up to the US' but more of a 'well, you know, this is what happens... I hate it as much as you do, but we did ask for it".

You and I have no idea if he will or will not stop here, but the very fact that he has done this at all means we have to assume he won't. We need to respond in the face of fascist totalitarianism. Against someone who fans the flames of said fascist totalitarianism the world over.

I dont know if I did say that, but he was posturing - and we chose to posture back with "no fuck off, we're not listening to you and your concerns, theres nothing wrong with "defensive" weaponry on the edge of NATO territory".

What happened when Russia put missiles in Cuba?

I hope he will stop at the Ukraine, as then he "wins" - and I hope NATO learns that expansion is perhaps going further than what it was supposed to set out to do. The Warsaw Pact did meet their obligations (or thats what Putin is saying, no one knows what (omg cant spell) Gorbachev agreed and told the Russians he'd agreed to. 

All this NATO good, Russia bad shit doesnt wash when we have been taking his money , intelligence and social media profiling to get stupid late stage neoliberals into power and keep them there. A fucking moron could see this coming - for too long we've just belittled them.

Will sancitons work? Lets hope so - but if you know anything of history - the second world war started due to punatitive sanctions in the treaty of Versailles. 

I was hoping a global climate emergency, pandemic and general fuckery of both late stage capitalism and debt based economic warfare (china) - would bring us together :( 

Anyhoo, all just my opinion and there's no answer , and I hate what I'm writing. We can't retaliate, sanctions are pointless and even likely to be a precursor to something worse. Whats the answer? Who fucking knows, but for me, people need to be more aware of the real consequences of propping up their standard of living and make compromises. Externalising everything doesnt work.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scoobos said:

I dont know if I did say that, but he was posturing - and we chose to posture back with "no fuck off, we're not listening to you and your concerns, theres nothing wrong with "defensive" weaponry on the edge of NATO territory".

I hope he will stop at the Ukraine, as then he "wins" - and I hope NATO learns that expansion is perhaps going further than what it was supposed to set out to do. The Warsaw Pact did meet their obligations (or thats what Putin is saying, no one knows what (omg cant spell) Gorbachev agreed and told the Russians he'd agreed to. 

All this NATO good, Russia bad shit doesnt wash when we have been taking his money , intelligence and social media profiling to get stupid late stage neoliberals into power and keep them there. A fucking moron could see this coming - for too long we've just belittled them.

Will sancitons work? Lets hope so - but if you know anything of history - the second world war started due to punatitive sanctions in the treaty of Versailles. 

I was hoping a global climate emergency, pandemic and general fuckery of both late stage capitalism and debt based economic warfare (china) - would bring us together :( 

Anyhoo, all just my opinion and there's no answer , and I hate what I'm writing. We can't retaliate, sanctions are pointless and even likely to be a precursor to something worse. Whats the answer? Who fucking knows, but for me, people need to be more aware of the real consequences of propping up their standard of living and make compromises. Externalising everything doesnt work.

I don't agree with all of this but I respect the view. I do agree with some of it.

I don't think any of it changes my belief that whoever started this, it needs ending.

16 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

yup, i said it a few pages ago but standing aside and letting ukraine fall exposes the west's posturing about promoting and protecting democracy for what it is.

does it really matter that they're not in the nato club? and what's the difference between ukraine and other non-nato democracies such as finland or sweden? 

Good point that, it's not NATO we should be looking to, but the United Nations to make some resolutions. Or are they just another "League of Nations" ?

13 minutes ago, Renton said:

Look at the likes going up on that tweet. Arrest the likers too. 

Looking forward to going to my mam's this weekend and she answers the door with an Ivan Drago flat-top. Saying "da" instead of yes and stuff. Nobody hangs on big Nige's words like my mam. 

• Haha 7

9 minutes ago, scoobos said:

Ukraine is an independent, sovereign nation state and it will choose its own path to peace and security.

Not my words but the words of one Vladimir Putin. So put that in your pipe and shove it up your arse sideways.

I literally can't remember. The reason has been lost in the mists of time. 

But I was the bigger man today and offered an olive branch and the tiny, very small lookie lookie man knocked it out of my hand. One thing we've all learned today is that diplomacy never works.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Isegrim said:

Ah, the good old ‚blame the EU‘ narrative. Banks, the other charlatan, is joining him of course.

As PL says, Lord fucking Haw-Haw here is one of the first fuckers I'd be putting in the tower.