Vladimir Putin and Russia

Anorthernsoul

7 hours ago, Rayvin said:

I mean yeah it is, until or unless the EU finally takes over on that front. But we were talking about Trump resisting NATO and I'm saying it was problematic that he did because it shook the foundations of the US' own empire. They've built the whole thing around internationalism, and if they start stepping back it's going to be chaos - as we're now seeing. Trump dulled America's edge (intentionally, because his philosophical position is that the US should be isolationist - I disagree with him but I do at least respect that as an honest view), and that's prompted Putin to try his luck IMO. The US shrank back under Trump and we're going to be seeing the consequences of it either until it reasserts itself, or until it fades altogether.

Such a decline, to be fair, would have happened with or without Trump. I do think he accelerated it though.

As for least aggressive, please do remember that he carried out a strike on an Iranian general and almost kicked off his own war by accident :lol: 

He realised correctly that the US has been pissing away resources on insane wars for decades.

You say isolationist like it’s only ever a bad thing. He was against outsourcing jobs (which I agree with) and moved towards energy independence. He wanted a strong military to defend against attack but not as a way to intervene all over the world.

Again, I get why people don’t like him but those aims seem much more sane to me than the previous 20+ years of American foreign policy.

That’s from the “Hitler wasn’t all bad. He gave people jobs and built some Autobahnen” school of sorts.

It’s not just about policies but the ideology behind does matter a lot.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

That’s from the “Hitler wasn’t all bad. He gave people jobs and built some Autobahnen” school of sorts.

It’s not just about policies but the ideology behind does matter a lot.

Is this in reference to my post?

4 hours ago, Asprilla said:

He realised correctly that the US has been pissing away resources on insane wars for decades.

You say isolationist like it’s only ever a bad thing. He was against outsourcing jobs (which I agree with) and moved towards energy independence. He wanted a strong military to defend against attack but not as a way to intervene all over the world.

Again, I get why people don’t like him but those aims seem much more sane to me than the previous 20+ years of American foreign policy.

You won’t find many cheerleaders for US interventions in Iraq or Afghanistan on here. But like it or not, they are the world’s police. The problem when the US retreats from tne global stage is it leaves a void and emboldens autocrats. 

• Like 1

The thing with Trump is, everything he did/didn't do during his presidency can be viewed, and was based, entirely on "what does this do for me personally?". 

There were no military interventions because it was of no benefit to him personally. He was however more than happy to stoke violence against his detractors in his own country, and give words of support to those acting violently on his behalf. See also tax cuts for the incredibly wealthy, appointing stooges at the DoJ, the list is fucking endless. 

We haven't seen any previous presidents try to fraudulently overthrow an election either btw. 

If he didn't do some of the stuff we've seen from presidents in the past, this wasn't because he's a great man, it's because he couldn't see what was in it for him.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

You won’t find many cheerleaders for US interventions in Iraq or Afghanistan on here. But like it or not, they are the world’s police. The problem when the US retreats from tne global stage is it leaves a void and emboldens autocrats. 

I do get that.

But there are only really two main countries that are looking to push the boundaries, and they’re Russia and China and both have nukes.

China wants Taiwan and I don’t really see ultimately what can be done about defending it.

How this situation ends in Ukraine will have an impact on any future ambitions for expansion by these countries.

The world is watching and so are big corporations. It’s likely naive because you also have to account for crazy leader syndrome but at this point what does Russia stand to gain?

6 minutes ago, Asprilla said:

It’s likely naive because you also have to account for crazy leader syndrome but at this point what does Russia stand to gain?

Absolutely nothing. I don’t believe there was any National desire to ‘reclaim’ Ukraine. It’s simply all about one man. The similarities between Putin and the Trump’s traits outlined by Gemmill above are clear.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

The thing with Trump is, everything he did/didn't do during his presidency can be viewed, and was based, entirely on "what does this do for me personally?". 

There were no military interventions because it was of no benefit to him personally. He was however more than happy to stoke violence against his detractors in his own country, and give words of support to those acting violently on his behalf. See also tax cuts for the incredibly wealthy, appointing stooges at the DoJ, the list is fucking endless. 

We haven't seen any previous presidents try to fraudulently overthrow an election either btw. 

If he didn't do some of the stuff we've seen from presidents in the past, this wasn't because he's a great man, it's because he couldn't see what was in it for him.

Thatcher used a war to “benefit” her standing and you could argue that Blair did too. Trump didn’t and it’s an odd point to argue that he would have when clearly he could have.

I have never seen a less enthusiastically backed candidate than Joe Biden and yet he supposedly gained more votes than Obama who was arguably the most popular candidate of our lifetimes.

4 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Absolutely nothing. I don’t believe there was any National desire to ‘reclaim’ Ukraine. It’s simply all about one man. The similarities between Putin and the Trump’s traits outlined by Gemmill above are clear.

Except Trump never once spoke about expanding US territory.

Ultimately all it shows us that once someone is in charge of a superpower they can hold the world to ransom.

For me, Bush Jr has far more to answer for than Trump ever will.

14 minutes ago, Asprilla said:

Thatcher used a war to “benefit” her standing and you could argue that Blair did too. Trump didn’t and it’s an odd point to argue that he would have when clearly he could have.

I have never seen a less enthusiastically backed candidate than Joe Biden and yet he supposedly gained more votes than Obama who was arguably the most popular candidate of our lifetimes.

Oh here we go, so you think Trump won the election then.

I mean, I'm out. I'm not going to engage with QAnon conspiracy theories and the Big Lie. 

But just to be clear, Biden didn't inspire all those votes for him, Trump inspired the votes against him. Because, and I cannot stress this enough, he was absolutely fucking terrible at being President. 

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Asprilla said:

So you do believe in the big lie as well. The number of votes casted did increase because a lot voters on both sides felt the urge to vote. The majority of anti-trumpers would have voted for any candidate presented by the democrats. They could have nominated Moe from the Simpsons and he would have got at least the equal number of votes as Obama.

There has been absolutely no credible evidence of voter fraud including the shenanigans in Arizona.

Edited by Isegrim
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Asprilla said:

I take every opportunity presented to attack that fucking witch, but that's a ridiculous statement. British territory was under attack. It conveniently aided her popularity but suggesting she 'used' a war to benefit her standing? She responding in the only way acceptable. 

30 minutes ago, Asprilla said:

They were voting against Trump not for Biden.

Please keep your bullshit wummery out of this thread at least

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

They were voting against Trump not for Biden.

Please keep your bullshit wummery out of this thread at least

Asprilla is either trying to be a contrary WUM or he is succinctly displaying his lack of political nous. I suspect it's both.

30 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Oh here we go, so you think Trump won the election then.

I mean, I'm out. I'm not going to engage with QAnon conspiracy theories and the Big Lie. 

But just to be clear, Biden didn't inspire all those votes for him, Trump inspired the votes against him. Because, and I cannot stress this enough, he was absolutely fucking terrible at being President. 

I don’t believe in QAnon.

2 minutes ago, Craig said:

Asprilla is either trying to be a contrary WUM or he is succinctly displaying his lack of political nous. I suspect it's both.

Just arguing the point that Trump has a negative reputation way out of proportion to his actions.