Vladimir Putin and Russia

Anorthernsoul

This idea that people giving their opinion on youtube, (or their own site once youtube kicks them off) are somehow less biased, and more informed than 'mainstream' media... it baffles me.

This idea that layman will be more informed on the complexities of virology, epidemiology, foreign trade, domestic trade because they've smashed their trotters into google and got the answers they want from ULTRANEWSMAX, baffles me.

Older members might be able to confirm, but it feels to me that it's become way more easy for gobshites to claim authority than it once was. Fuck me, I was a gobshite on loads of serious topics when I was a kid, just look back at some of the bollocks I put on here. I had no idea their was a lucrative career to be had from it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, The Fish said:

This idea that people giving their opinion on youtube, (or their own site once youtube kicks them off) are somehow less biased, and more informed than 'mainstream' media... it baffles me.

This idea that layman will be more informed on the complexities of virology, epidemiology, foreign trade, domestic trade because they've smashed their trotters into google and got the answers they want from ULTRANEWSMAX, baffles me.

Older members might be able to confirm, but it feels to me that it's become way more easy for gobshites to claim authority than it once was. Fuck me, I was a gobshite on loads of serious topics when I was a kid, just look back at some of the bollocks I put on here. I had no idea their was a lucrative career to be had from it.

I honestly and fully think a lot of this is explained by that Carole Cadwalldr tweet that PL linked to a few days back. The world changed around 2014 and not for the better.

• Like 1

We expect the Russians to somehow stand up to Putin, yet here in the US the man who practically killed off hundreds of thousands of Americans is getting ready for a second go at the Presidency. It get's a little easier to understand the madness you see abroad when you start looking closely at what's happening closer to home.

Righty, I think we were pretty clear on what this thread was for and, given the sensitivity of the subject were quite adamant that it stay on topic.

As such I'm going to read through (god help me) the last couple of pages, and probably delete most of the posts.

Keep shit where it belongs, we've got a match in 25 minutes, I've only just got up and I don't want to have to keep doing this.

6 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Righty, I think we were pretty clear on what this thread was for and, given the sensitivity of the subject were quite adamant that it stay on topic.

As such I'm going to read through (god help me) the last couple of pages, and probably delete most of the posts.

Keep shit where it belongs, we've got a match in 25 minutes, I've only just got up and I don't want to have to keep doing this.

tenor.gif

• Haha 2

I made some money betting on Russia that year, so that's just gone to Medicins Sans Frontières. Not much we can do as individuals in this situation but a bit of karmic redistribution is better than nothing.

I liked her song too. Even if it was - inevitably and ironically - a "we are the world" kind of peace anthem... :lol:🤦‍♂️

• Like 2

If you think about how many people bought the absolute bollocks spouted by the Tories over the past decade and a half. Imagine that cranked up to 11 and then some more in Russia over Putin’s reign. Not that it makes it any less scary

Edited by Alex

Oh yeh it’s absolutely mental. Completely crazy stuff.

On one hand he’s calling Ukraine “Nazis” on the other he’s talking about “a natural cleansing of his people”.

• Like 2

I imagine Orwell, Dick, Vonnegut and the like, where ever they are, watching the world, shaking their heads and screaming "I told you so and you thought it was just fiction!"

How predictable are we as a species!?!!

Edited by sammynb
  • Like 2

Is anyone else becoming a bit concerned that China appears to have sided with Russia on this? I read something about them offering military hardware to support the endeavour. And also this:

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/03/18/asia/wang-jixian-chinese-vlogger-ukraine-intl-hnk/index.html

Chinese vlogger branded a national traitor for sharing the truth.

• Sad 2

Once it became clear the Russian army wasn’t particularly well trained, supplied etc I did think Putin’s bid to take back the Russian empire would result in it being part of the Chinese one. Them and India will happily take all their gas 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Is anyone else becoming a bit concerned that China appears to have sided with Russia on this? I read something about them offering military hardware to support the endeavour. And also this:

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/03/18/asia/wang-jixian-chinese-vlogger-ukraine-intl-hnk/index.html

Chinese vlogger branded a national traitor for sharing the truth.

an enemy of my friend is an enemy or whatever the phrase is 

China is Russia with 10 times more people and all of the factories. They’ll be the world’s Daddy soon if they aren’t already

obviously you know this

• Like 1

The enemy of my enemy is my friend, even ;) 

Think the Chinese just seize whatever opportunities comes their way in their bid to become the dominant global superpower tbh. Whether it’s this, economic colonisation of Africa or whatever. I doubt they give a fuck about Russia beyond what they can get out if it. Russia will be absolutely desperate for the investment 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Agree with both of you, just depressing to see.

China’s been getting involved everywhere, way more than Russia IMO. They clearly do things more intelligently by the looks of things.

Yes it’s depressing but ultimately I guess the world’s run more or less like this for a long time.

11 hours ago, sammynb said:

I imagine Orwell, Dick, Vonnegut and the like, where ever they are, watching the world, shaking their heads and screaming "I told you so and you thought it was just fiction!"

How predictable are we as a species!?!!

Meanwhile Rodenberry...... Although if I remember utopia starts after WW3, not WW2.

Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN