Vladimir Putin and Russia

Anorthernsoul

:lol:

I love how Russia is trying to claim the damn thing had a fire and sunk, as if it's somehow a better visual that a state of the art warship was taken out by gross incompetence from its crew rather than an enemy missile.

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

I’d like to see them fucking try anything “unpredictable”. See how that works out for them. It’s bullshit posturing  

Aye I'm fucking sick of these cunts now. I just watched the Salisbury Poisonings over the last few days too. It's about time that little ugly bald shortarsed cunt learned that he can't just keep giving it the big one and expecting the world to dance to his tune. 

• Like 1

The CIA seems to think he will go as far as tactical nukes - which honestly I could see as well; it's probably not enough of an action to trigger a nuclear response from the West, but still underlines how serious he is.

Very much is just a bully tbh. Keeps pushing boundaries like the little troll he is, knowing that the only option that exists for the rest of us is to try to be responsible about the future of humankind or to go in all guns blazing.

Can you imagine the scenes if this had happened under Trump man..

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Tom said:

Tactical nukes are still larger than anything ever used in war. Terrifying.

Not necessarily. Some can be dialed down to 1kT levels or less, a lot less than Hiroshima. However, even if that happened, all bets are off, I would think a full scale strategic nuclear conflict would be very likely. 

How fucking useless is their conventional army, air force, and navy though? He'll be embarrassed and that makes him more dangerous.

• Like 1

I’m fairly certain if the combined forces of NATO went medieval on his land army, they’d be wiped out in 24hrs or so*

If we removed our markings, we could just do a Putin and say

“ Hey, wasn’t us?”

*we’d need to hit all their command centres with those big MF bunker buster bombs, to wipe him and his supporters out at the same time but …

IncredibleCheeryEthiopianwolf-max-1mb.gi

• Like 2

️ GOOGLE MAPS OPENED ACCESS TO RUSSIA'S MILITARY AND STRATEGIC FACILITIES.
 Now everyone can see a variety of Russian launchers, intercontinental ballistic missile mines, command posts and secret landfills with a resolution of about 0.5 meters per pixel”

• Like 3

On 15/04/2022 at 09:10, Rayvin said:

:lol:

I love how Russia is trying to claim the damn thing had a fire and sunk, as if it's somehow a better visual that a state of the art warship was taken out by gross incompetence from its crew rather than an enemy missile.

Thing is, the "tech video" for this ships missile defences make it almost impossible (even if not operated correctly) that this ship can get hit by 1 or 2 missiles, you'd have to fire tens or perhaps hundreds at it. Georgia hit it, but they launched 60 or so missiles at it and they didn't hit it hard enough for any real effect , they still lost the battle.

The video shows this 3 tiered 360 degree defence which is supposed to be radar / computer controlled - to counter enemy missiles at 3 different ranges, with 3 different countermeasures.

Was it sabotage by its own crew in mutiny? Honestly, that seems more believable than Ukraine hitting it with their own missile - though that is what has been "independently" verified to have happened. 

What a win for Ukraine that is - and perhaps as someone said in this thread - showing that you can have great tech - but if you cant maintain / operate it properly then this is what happens.
(I'll try dig it out of my links on my home laptop if you are interested)

In other news, can someone sort Boris Johnson out, becuase his need to put himself (and us) in the spotlight is fucking dangerous imo. They are not skilled enough to get involved in overt militaristic political statements and are rocking the boat when we've no strength on our own. This isn't something that soundbites can help.

Edited by scoobos

4 minutes ago, scoobos said:

Thing is, the "tech video" for this ships missile defences make it almost impossible (even if not operated correctly) that this ship can get hit by 1 or 2 missiles, you'd have to fire tens or perhaps hundreds at it. Georgia hit it, but they launched 60 or so missiles at it and they didn't hit it hard enough for any real effect , they still lost the battle.

The video shows this 3 tiered 360 degree defence which is supposed to be radar / computer controlled - to counter enemy missiles at 3 different ranges, with 3 different countermeasures.

Was it sabotage by its own crew in mutiny? Honestly, that seems more believable than Ukraine hitting it with their own missile - though that is what has been "independently" verified to have happened. 

What a win for Ukraine that is - and perhaps as someone said in this thread - showing that you can have great tech - but if you cant maintain / operate it properly then this is what happens.
(I'll try dig it out of my links on my home laptop if you are interested)

In other news, can someone sort Boris Johnson out, becuase his need to put himself (and us) in the spotlight is fucking dangerous imo. They are not skilled enough to get involved in overt militaristic political statements and are rocking the boat when we've no strength on our own. This isn't something that soundbites can help.

Fair enough but I was thinking of it more from the optics of Russia claiming what they have. Yes it's not good if they say Ukraine has sunk the ship but I feel like it's actually worse to say they sunk it themselves through incompetence.

On the stuff about Britain, I was talking to a friend recently who quite enjoys following the military side of things (not that this means anything per se) and his belief is that Britain gets more attention from Russia specifically because of the naval capabilities we have. No other 'minor' European power can project power to the same level we can, apparently - thus isolating the UK is an important part of the Russia strategic framework for dealing with Europe. Hence their backing of Brexit and the litany of morons we see rising to power within the Tory Party. So with or without Johnson I think we get more spotlight from Russia than the likes of France (who are of course formidable in their own right, but not in naval terms as I understand it) or Germany.

I mean saying all of that, Johnson's only interest in this nonsense is around distracting from the domestic shit he's caught up in, so yes, that's clearly not a good foundation for any grand politics.

I think for Russia, the great error in this so far is that the world had a very trumped up view of their military capability. and reality has actually landed many levels below what was supposed. I know many within the US and UK strategic defence setups knew this, and you would see analysis along these lines from time to time in special interest pieces in the news, but I always assumed that was propaganda (or rather, false propaganda). To see that it is actually true is rather remarkable. There is no question that Russia would be annihilated in a conventional war with NATO powers, it is simply too weak and poorly trained. Thus nukes become the only way of salvaging Russian pride should that happen - and this alone may explain why NATO hasn't gotten involved. So as not to humiliate Putin into doing something stupid.

The lives lost for the fragile ego of one tiny man.

6 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

To see that it is actually true is rather remarkable. There is no question that Russia would be annihilated in a conventional war with NATO powers, it is simply too weak and poorly trained.

You know what though, and I think its good (as a hater of war)- we don't KNOW that either (that NATO is any better in the same theatre). 

No ones done particularly well in wars in the past 20 years  and although NATO hasn't been tested, I think the only NATO member who could say their army has had victories since 2020 - would be France in Mali. 

We can only judge that when we put our offence weaponry against their defensive stuff, but that said our efforts in afghanistan , against Zero airforce and a bunch of religious nuts with little education but fierce dedication, would be a good example.

Edited by scoobos

I think even if we assumed the same level of mass incompetence in all NATO countries (and I'm not sure even the US is as bad as Russia seem to be, on this evidence), they would still overpower Russia. I mean think of all the fronts that would open up across the Russian border. Strategically it is an impossibility that Russia would be able to repel assault from an alliance of multiple countries armed with modern warfare tech.

If the fighting was limited to just Ukraine, you'd have to imagine that NATO would commence an intense bombing raid on Russian positions due to their clear air superiority and all the launch bases nearby. I'm struggling to imagine that we would even need to send troops in, there'd be hardly anything left of the Russian supply lines or heavy equipment within about a week. We'd take losses of course but they'd be spread across a number of countries.

The only reason Russia is still standing at all at this point IMO, is that they have nuclear weapons. So the good news from this is that we really don't need to worry about Russia other than the fact that they're run by a mad dog. This talk about them potentially invading Poland.. I mean, how? They're barely managing to take one country, hard to see them moving to a second.

Imperialism is done and Russia's attempted conquest here has shown them for the middling player they are. They need to sit down, shut up, and start working on pivoting away from authoritarianism and fascism, and into democratic norms. Then they can come and sit around the table as a respected and valued partner.