Vladimir Putin and Russia

Anorthernsoul

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/05/2022 at 12:41, Tom said:

another normal day in Russian news.

No malice. Only facts. 

9F5F27CB-661B-4E0B-A926-B43D9EEC7469.jpeg

Probabaly hinges on a slight mistranslation of some study that claimed "British Vodka connoisseurs would rather kill and eat their own families than have to settle for Glens or anything bottled by Diageo". 

Zizek has weighed in on this and I agree with almost every word. Huge as far as the left goes because he's someone the far left very much respect. His pragmatism and ability to see reality is incredible (IMO).

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jun/21/pacificsm-is-the-wrong-response-to-the-war-in-ukraine?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Zizek has weighed in on this and I agree with almost every word. Huge as far as the left goes because he's someone the far left very much respect. His pragmatism and ability to see reality is incredible (IMO).

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jun/21/pacificsm-is-the-wrong-response-to-the-war-in-ukraine?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

I struggle with anyone who says that NATO should attack. That would be suicide and a horrible strategical mistake.

More war is never the answer to end war imo.  It should be done once a point of no return has happened. For me, from a NATO or EU perspective that is when an EU or NATO member state gets attacked. If we mobile defenses now, as it appears we are, then good. But to go into Ukraine now will simply open the flood gates to a full scale war that can only escalate as both international powers go head to head, diplomacy is lost.

I think that diplomatically, Ukraine has done a damn good job this week, by pointing to the none EU / none NATO member states to take action - Russia has made allies of countries that can put shipping through the black sea for food exports - he will end up starving the people he's only recently won over.

This is horrible of course, but baying for us to get directly involved is self flagellation. And I know its been said before, but you don't see us doing this for any other country that is invaded by its neighbours, unless its a resource or ideological war. If food shortages really do happen at the scale that is predicted then, unfortunately, I do worry that the resource war will begin. Neither Boris Johnson, Biden (or trump before anyone thinks it) are the right leaders to start weighing in now - it will be like throwing all of the worlds petrol on a match and no one will win. 

Putin is doing a very good job of ruining his own military capability and whilst its totally tragic that civilian lives are being lost, they are everywhere, in the name of many things  and that's no reason to turn 100,000's into millions , make no mistake if NATO light the touchpaper so far out of its territory it will cost millions of lives and fuck us environmentally. The world is going to hell in a handbasket - Global powers realising that power plays don't work anymore , might just help shift things a little.

Not fact, obviously, but opinion - but I like to think it's slightly educated opinion having been a serving infantry solider (crap hat) and also graduate of History / Totalitarian Regimes , who is worried by the repetition of the mistakes of the Treaty of Versailles and thinking that "it's 1 madman" vs the world, as soon as it escalates, their allies come out of the shadows all over the damn place. 

Did you read the article? Zizek is a world renowned political theorist so he does have something of value to say on this. He's not just a random guardian journalist.

He covers environmental catastrophe if we don't act, the splitting and isolation of Europe between two competing global powers etc.

It's not just "let's go to war". It's what happens if we don't. I strongly recommend considering the points raised if you didn't read it.