Vladimir Putin and Russia

Anorthernsoul

Anyone worried about a tactical nuclear weapon being deployed? Some American Woman (can't remember her name / title) On Radio 4 this morning thought it was a very real threat. Surely not like...

1 minute ago, Anth said:

Anyone worried about a tactical nuclear weapon being deployed? Some American Woman (can't remember her name / title) On Radio 4 this morning thought it was a very real threat. Surely not like...

Yes. That would be the game changer. You have to hope Putin isn’t suicidal enough to do it

5 minutes ago, Anth said:

No, he does that he'll lose even China

At this stage, will the chain of command carry it out. He's looking increasingly like a busted flush, is that not the point at which people just say "listen son, you've had a good run, but you walk like you've shit yourself, you look like a puffer fish, and you can't get a stiffy to save your life. Let's knock this on the head eh."

• Haha 5

Aye to Toonpack and Gemmill. The time to worry about nuclear weapons has passed now. Highly unlikely the chain of command would allow for them to be deployed, Russia would immediately lose support of CHina and everybody else. Much more likely for Putin to fall out of a window tbh. 

Edited by Renton

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

At this stage, will the chain of command carry it out. He's looking increasingly like a busted flush, is that not the point at which people just say "listen son, you've had a good run, but you walk like you've shit yourself, you look like a puffer fish, and you can't get a stiffy to save your life. Let's knock this on the head eh."

Is this about CT? 😉 

• Haha 2

In the sense of what Putin might want to escalate to, tactical nukes make sense. I could see him wanting to do it. Not quite as certain as everyone else that the chain of command in Russia would prevent this from happening, but I can see the argument. Depends how unstable things are now.

If they did it, what would the response from everyone else be - Ukraine can't fire back on the same footing so the only robust response possible would be a separate nuclear power getting involved. And I'm still not sure anyone would if they haven't been targeted directly. So yeah it would be harrowing and would see condemnation from around the world (maybe China, not totally sure on that myself) but would that result in anything substantive happening in response..?

To prevent it absolutely, I think we need to be very clear that the consequences of it happening are nukes going back the other way.

55 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

In the sense of what Putin might want to escalate to, tactical nukes make sense. I could see him wanting to do it. Not quite as certain as everyone else that the chain of command in Russia would prevent this from happening, but I can see the argument. Depends how unstable things are now.

If they did it, what would the response from everyone else be - Ukraine can't fire back on the same footing so the only robust response possible would be a separate nuclear power getting involved. And I'm still not sure anyone would if they haven't been targeted directly. So yeah it would be harrowing and would see condemnation from around the world (maybe China, not totally sure on that myself) but would that result in anything substantive happening in response..?

To prevent it absolutely, I think we need to be very clear that the consequences of it happening are nukes going back the other way.

China would definitely disassociate themselves from Russia in the event they used nuclear weapons of any kind. China's policy is only to use nuclear weapons in retaliation to a nuclear strike, no way would they support Russia in this. They'd be as scared of WW3 as the rest of us. 

NATO doesn't have any "tactical" nuclear weapons in its arsenal to retaliate in a like for like response. The risk of escalation to a strategic nuclear war would be huge. Militarily of course, no use of nuclear weapons makes any sense in a territorial war, as you irradiate the land you hope to capture and risk killing your own troops in the fall out. Putin's finished imo, gone before Truss. ;)

1 hour ago, Renton said:

China would definitely disassociate themselves from Russia in the event they used nuclear weapons of any kind. China's policy is only to use nuclear weapons in retaliation to a nuclear strike, no way would they support Russia in this. They'd be as scared of WW3 as the rest of us. 

NATO doesn't have any "tactical" nuclear weapons in its arsenal to retaliate in a like for like response. The risk of escalation to a strategic nuclear war would be huge. Militarily of course, no use of nuclear weapons makes any sense in a territorial war, as you irradiate the land you hope to capture and risk killing your own troops in the fall out. Putin's finished imo, gone before Truss. ;)

the yanks have tactical nukes, don't they? 

6 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

the yanks have tactical nukes, don't they? 

Looking it up there they have some low yield gravity bombs, don't think they are much use in the theatre of war. Then again, I don't think any "tactical" weapons are. Iirc they used to have a suitcase or even brief case sized nuke, not sure they still have that though. 

Russian weapons, equipment & rations etc have been horrific. Mainly because they're corrupt as fuck so some Oligarch or other is taking huge profits from every contract. 

At the start of the conflict their rations were from 2015! Imagine what that did to morale! 

A large part of the battering Ukraine are dishing out is due to western weaponry, drones & javelin missiles etc.

• Like 2