Vladimir Putin and Russia

Anorthernsoul

There has certainly been a big shift in the perception of the Russian military in all of this. Some of it will be propaganda I'm sure but some of my formerly Putin sympathetic friends (left wing, but I'm glad to say that sentiment didn't survive this war where the obvious flaws in their perception have been revealed) used to talk about Russia as if it was a real and serious threat to the US war machine :lol:

Fucking no chance on this evidence. They're a greater real and serious threat to themselves than anyone else.

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

There has certainly been a big shift in the perception of the Russian military in all of this. Some of it will be propaganda I'm sure but some of my formerly Putin sympathetic friends (left wing, but I'm glad to say that sentiment didn't survive this war where the obvious flaws in their perception have been revealed) used to talk about Russia as if it was a real and serious threat to the US war machine :lol:

Fucking no chance on this evidence. They're a greater real and serious threat to themselves than anyone else.

I'd love to see a square go between NATO and these fuckers. Ironically it's only the threat of nuclear warfare stopping it imo. 

• Haha 1

Well considering leaders from all but a handful of countries are expected to be in attendance at the Queen's funeral, if the Russians do fancy an armageddon there will not be a better time and place for the first strike  :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tom said:

A large part of the battering Ukraine are dishing out is due to western weaponry, drones & javelin missiles etc.

And the other part is because they know what they’re fighting for- their home. 

Morale and purpose are huge motivators. 

• Like 3

That's the thing, many of us having been saying Putin is the enemy behind the curtain for years. I remember @PaddockLad posting that analysis from Carol Cadwalladr about how we have been in an information war with Russia since 2014, that we weren't officially aware of or acknowledging which really and truly allowed me to see Russian interference not as opportunism but as a deliberate, long term strategy.

So yes, nothing new to those of us with our eyes open, but it's still significant that these reports are getting traction now. Seeing the enemy for what it is will be a huge step forward. The Tories ran their own investigation but specifically told that review not to look for evidence of Russian interference into Brexit... the US has had to do it for us.

We knew, but I'm glad to see this anyway.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Tom said:

About 75% of our government have took Russian money & the conservatives have been taking Russian donations forever. 

Who is this news to exactly? 

No news at all, but as it's reported in the US it's getting some coverage, although the BBC article in respect of it mentions Albania and Madagascar and even manages to shoe horn in Brussels, but fuck all about the Tories and Brexit.

• Jaysus... 2

6 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

That's the thing, many of us having been saying Putin is the enemy behind the curtain for years. I remember @PaddockLad posting that analysis from Carol Cadwalladr about how we have been in an information war with Russia since 2014, that we weren't officially aware of or acknowledging which really and truly allowed me to see Russian interference not as opportunism but as a deliberate, long term strategy.

So yes, nothing new to those of us with our eyes open, but it's still significant that these reports are getting traction now. Seeing the enemy for what it is will be a huge step forward. The Tories ran their own investigation but specifically told that review not to look for evidence of Russian interference into Brexit... the US has had to do it for us.

We knew, but I'm glad to see this anyway.

I wonder what happens when Putin is replaced. I'm want to expect some kind of chaotic collapse, but is there someone capable waiting for their turn?

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

I wonder what happens when Putin is replaced. I'm want to expect some kind of chaotic collapse, but is there someone capable waiting for their turn?

Good question and I've no idea. I wouldn't have thought it'll be Medvedev since he's fallen from favour now apparently. Unless there is an obvious successor that is waiting in the shadows then I think the more likely scenario is indeed a collapse as you say.