Vladimir Putin and Russia

Anorthernsoul

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

Corruption in the Russian army, a concise guide :cuppa:

That is the problem with Russia, the whole fabric of society riddled with gangsterism, Putin's just the current/latest Don Corleone.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Toonpack said:

That is the problem with Russia, the whole fabric of society riddled with gangsterism, Putin's just the current/latest Don Corleone.

He's capo di tutti capi . Basically the head of the worlds leading trans national crime syndicate. The ex president of the US is an acknowledged subordinate, and the likes of Farage and Banks use the services he can provide whilst simultaneously piping the evil bustard off :cuppa:

• Like 4

I'm veering more towards chaos, after reading those threads. With corruption so rampant, I can only see Russian military officers/Mafiaso carving up regions of Russia for their own little fiefdoms. They'll then need to cosy up to the West or China for help when it inevitably goes tits up (and I expect it's more likely to be China).  Maybe the most westerly located cities might lean more towards Europe?

27 minutes ago, Renton said:

Isn't Russia being strong much more scary?  Listen to these muderous bastards.

Well none of it is good obviously, but if all the bordering states no longer fear Russia, which seems to be happening due to the carcrash in Ukraine, then as we can see they might all start trying to settle their disputes militarily.

Look at the middle east, once an area destabilises there are rarely good outcomes

Edited by spongebob toonpants

1 minute ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Well none of it is good obviously, but if all the bordering states no longer fear Russia, which seems to be happening due to the carcrash in Ukraine, then as we can see they might all start trying to settle their disputes militarily.

Look at the middle east, once an area destabilises there are rarely good outcomes

I agree tbf. Russia destabilising will have a negative global impact in the short term at least, but what can you do when they're the author of their own demise. Imagine a country having territory from St Petersberg to Vladivostok wanting even more territory, it's mad. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Renton said:

I agree tbf. Russia destabilising will have a negative global impact in the short term at least, but what can you do when they're the author of their own demise. Imagine a country having territory from St Petersberg to Vladivostok wanting even more territory, it's mad. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Much_Land_Does_a_Man_Need%3F

Any opinions on the latest developments? Seems like Putin is going to carry out some fake referenda in the East so he can claim Russia itself is being attacked and can fully mobilise for war. This would also allow for the use of nuclear weapons according to the Russian constitution. I think this is last throw of the dice stuff from him. He's lost his only allies and conscription will not go well. He seems quite desperate which is always a dangerous place to be. 

10 minutes ago, Renton said:

Any opinions on the latest developments? Seems like Putin is going to carry out some fake referenda in the East so he can claim Russia itself is being attacked and can fully mobilise for war. This would also allow for the use of nuclear weapons according to the Russian constitution. I think this is last throw of the dice stuff from him. He's lost his only allies and conscription will not go well. He seems quite desperate which is always a dangerous place to be. 

Scary stuff.  300,000 conscripts is significant, even if they are reservists.  He is clearly not happy with how it is going and needs to stamp his authority.  Presumably he has got some advice from Xi - standard Chinese dictator answer which is throw more cannon fodder at the problem.

2 minutes ago, RobinRobin said:

Scary stuff.  300,000 conscripts is significant, even if they are reservists.  He is clearly not happy with how it is going and needs to stamp his authority.  Presumably he has got some advice from Xi - standard Chinese dictator answer which is throw more cannon fodder at the problem.

I don't think he has Xi's support in this though, and also when was the last time CHina were involved in a physical war? I reckon he's desperate. Redraw the map and get the nukes out. Maybe. 

My lass's school has a young Ukrainian kid that's started this year. Refugee, doesn't speak a word of English. He was not engaging the other day and when they got to the bottom of it it's because his dad has been called back to Ukraine to fight. 

I hope this all ends terribly for Putin, the absolute fucking shit bag. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Yeh. It's all ultimately pointless as a conflict. It's a deflection to sustain his kleptocracy. 

What an absolute prick the man is. The TV propaganda has gone in to overdrive calling Britain "the root of all evil" etc etc. 

Once again he's on TV talking about Nukes. That doesn't end well for anybody so what's the point? 

We should get a bank holiday when someone puts a bullet in the cunt.

• Like 3

I'm still tempted to say it's all theatre as far as Putin it concerned. Wasn't he wishing the country well following the Queen's death the other day? I think the 'desperate' bit sounds right, this must be the response to Ukraine's successes recently.

I still don't think he's going to start throwing nukes around, it's a fight he can't win and with absolutely no up side for Russia. Their only benefit to him is as a threat, not as a reality.

15 minutes ago, Renton said:

Some russian MP on R5 says London will be nuked if Liz Truss remains PM. I'm no fan of Truss but that's a bit much.

Does look like we are heading for a potentially dangerous situation. 

It's completely absurd for starters. They'd likely Nuke the entire country and once....as one city nuked would see their entire country wiped off the map in the blink of an eye. 

The UK has constant nuclear threats & that's before you get on to the rest of NATO. 

It's not a war anyone would ever win, the rich, the poor, whoever would all be condemned to a slow death on a similar wasteland.

• Like 1