Vladimir Putin and Russia

Anorthernsoul

6 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I don't see this whole nuclear thing kicking off, but if it does I hope the first missile scores a direct hit on my giant forehead, cos I cannot be fucked with living in the aftermath. 

Fallout 5 - Wideopen. :lol:

• Haha 5

36 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I don't see this whole nuclear thing kicking off, but if it does I hope the first missile scores a direct hit on my giant forehead, cos I cannot be fucked with living in the aftermath. 

I found the translation of that speech more reassuring than concerning. Only one reference to nukes, dating to WW2. If Japan can accept this and Germany with Dresden, I'm unsure of his point. Also he seems to forget Russia is a major part of the world order he is so paranoid about. 

It just sounds like the ramblings of a mad man. Somebody mentioned he would want to preserve his own life. Of so, he won't use nukes. Next thing is whether his chain of command would allow it. I personally doubt they would.

I'm just sick of the cunt at this stage. The world has enough problems with pandemics, climate change, and other instabilities without this twat stirring the pot. I hope someone takes him out, although just like with Johnson, his replacement could be worse. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Renton said:

I found the translation of that speech more reassuring than concerning. Only one reference to nukes, dating to WW2. If Japan can accept this and Germany with Dresden, I'm unsure of his point. Also he seems to forget Russia is a major part of the world order he is so paranoid about. 

It just sounds like the ramblings of a mad man. Somebody mentioned he would want to preserve his own life. Of so, he won't use nukes. Next thing is whether his chain of command would allow it. I personally doubt they would.

I'm just sick of the cunt at this stage. The world has enough problems with pandemics, climate change, and other instabilities without this twat stirring the pot. I hope someone takes him out, although just like with Johnson, his replacement could be worse. 

I think it might be better to let the whole thing collapse from within and have the Russians push for real change. Problem is that's only likely to happen if they get their arses handed to them in some capacity or another.

15 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I think it might be better to let the whole thing collapse from within and have the Russians push for real change. Problem is that's only likely to happen if they get their arses handed to them in some capacity or another.

They've already had their arses handed to them. The Russians are waking up to this. Mobilisation is the proof.of it. Putin is as finished as Truss. 

From what I can gather, Ukraine have retaken one of the towns that Russia annexed yesterday (a little town by the name of Des Lynam). The Russian forces have pegged it. 

So it's either back to BAU in this war or time for some of you to start digging bunkers. 

3 hours ago, Renton said:

If we are occupied then I am loving it tbh

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/oct/02/us-russia-putin-ukraine-war-david-petraeus

'The US and its allies would destroy Russia’s troops and equipment in Ukraine – as well as sink its Black Sea fleet – if Russian president Vladimir Putin uses nuclear weapons in the country, former CIA director and retired four-star army general David Petraeus warned on Sunday.'

“Just to give you a hypothetical, we would respond by leading a Nato – a collective – effort that would take out every Russian conventional force that we can see and identify on the battlefield in Ukraine and also in Crimea and every ship in the Black Sea.” -- Petraeus

35 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/oct/02/us-russia-putin-ukraine-war-david-petraeus

'The US and its allies would destroy Russia’s troops and equipment in Ukraine – as well as sink its Black Sea fleet – if Russian president Vladimir Putin uses nuclear weapons in the country, former CIA director and retired four-star army general David Petraeus warned on Sunday.'

“Just to give you a hypothetical, we would respond by leading a Nato – a collective – effort that would take out every Russian conventional force that we can see and identify on the battlefield in Ukraine and also in Crimea and every ship in the Black Sea.” -- Petraeus

The nuclear deteerent is so weird. As a naive kid, I supported CND and unilateral disarmanent. Then as a young adult, I began to think nuclear weapons were a crucial deterrent against soviet agression. Shortly the USSR fell, and I didn't think they were needed any more, but I still believed they had prevented WW3 during the cold war. And you could never disinvent them, so you're stuck with them. I still believe this. But now with Putin's Russia, I think they are a hindrance at best and a major threat at worst. Russian forces have shown themselves to be nowhere near the match of NATO, and I think Russia could be wiped off the map through conventional means with little loss to West Euopean and US life if it came to it. However, we can't go there because of the nuclear deterrent. 

I can't really see anyway there would not be a strategic nuclear war happened in the scenario above. I've learned as much as I can not to worry about these things though. What will be will be. 

Just now, Monkeys Fist said:

Just make sure you’ve got plenty of white paint, masking tape, beans and a few spare doors. You’ll be fine. 
whenthewindblows-01.jpg

that booked scared me half to death as a kid. why my parents thought it was suitable reading for a 7 year-old is beyond me 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

that booked scared me half to death as a kid. why my parents thought it was suitable reading for a 7 year-old is beyond me 

Explains your username quite nicely though :lol:

• Haha 2