Vladimir Putin and Russia

Anorthernsoul

41 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

If the west is reacting, it’s because Putin has the upper hand. NATO has looked the other way for eight years. I’m not an instinctive interventionist but strategy failure reduces the options by conceding the upper hand to Putin.

The NATO message to Russia is that there will be pain if you invade, but if you are prepared to take the pain Ukraine is yours.

Nato is there to defend NATO members. Nothing NATO can do.

Only solution imo is massive sanctions from everyone that leads to Putin getting taken for a walk in the woods.

Are sanctions really going to cut it this time?

Putin walked into Crimea and the west did nothing. He's now going to take the whole of Ukraine and it looks like we're going to give him a slap on the wrists.

Meanwhile China are watching to see exactly what the reaction has been and can only be emboldened by it. If Putin gets away with this then what's to stop him doing the same in other former Soviet states?

Military intervention is the only real solution I can see working. Either that or completely stopping the use of Russian gas but that's nigh on impossible.

14 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Nato is there to defend NATO members. Nothing NATO can do.

Only solution imo is massive sanctions from everyone that leads to Putin getting taken for a walk in the woods.

It’s too late course now, of course. But the message was: we we stand shoulder to shoulder with north Macedonia

because they’re part of the club. Ukraine is on its own. Putin has invaded because he has weighed up the risks and decided it’s a net gain and now there is fuck all we can do about it.

Let’s wait and see about the massive sanctions. They’ll drive fuel prices and inflation more broadly even higher. While pissing off the Tory money men. Does Johnson have the balls?

Edit: Modern Ukraine is a Western democracy. It’s sad state of affairs that NATO doesn’t stand with them. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

4 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Are sanctions really going to cut it this time?

Putin walked into Crimea and the west did nothing. He's now going to take the whole of Ukraine and it looks like we're going to give him a slap on the wrists.

Meanwhile China are watching to see exactly what the reaction has been and can only be emboldened by it. If Putin gets away with this then what's to stop him doing the same in other former Soviet states?

Military intervention is the only real solution I can see working. Either that or completely stopping the use of Russian gas but that's nigh on impossible.

I think that’s exactly what he want to do. At least with the Soviets there was some predictability. Putin is a nationalist imperialist nutter. 

I mentioned before these two autocrats are trying to change the status quo and begin a new order in the world.

America won't step in in Europe but they will confront China in the Asia Pacific. The Asia Pacific means much more economically. America cannot fight in both theatres so it is up to NATO minus the US to stand  up to Russia if they choose to invade NATO countries after the Ukraine.

9 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Sanctions will do fuck all.  The west relies more on Russia doesn't it?

Russia is inter-reliant with the West. If we were to stop buying their oil, gas and minerals right now then the Russian economy would collapse. Similarly if we were to do that then Europe would be completely fucked. We'd be in a situation where we were continuing to fund the very nation we were at war with.

12 minutes ago, Ken said:

I mentioned before these two autocrats are trying to change the status quo and begin a new order in the world.

America won't step in in Europe but they will confront China in the Asia Pacific. The Asia Pacific means much more economically. America cannot fight in both theatres so it is up to NATO minus the US to stand  up to Russia if they choose to invade NATO countries after the Ukraine.

The US is obliged to get involved if Russia decide to invade a NATO country. They won't shirk that.

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Russia is inter-reliant with the West. If we were to stop buying their oil, gas and minerals right now then the Russian economy would collapse. Similarly if we were to do that then Europe would be completely fucked. We'd be in a situation where we were continuing to fund the very nation we were at war with.

Russia would just become even more closer to China. Its a lose/lose situation. Check mate Putin. 

Just now, ewerk said:

The US is obliged to get involved if Russia decide to invade a NATO country. They won't shirk that.

They won't commit fully. They can't afford to. China and Russia would hope they do though

15 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Can't see how that would be, Russia's economy is smaller than Italy's and slightly bigger than Spain's, sure there'd be economic ramifications but nowhere near a quid pro quo or a fiscal armageddon.

I thought it was odd Putin at the opening of the Beijing Winter Olympics. But there he was supposedly supporting his nation who are not even allowed to have their proper name - the Russian Federation - competing in that name.

He met Xi. I am sure. And talked geo-politics and scenarios to what we have seen beginning with annexing Eastern Ukraine and now today with the full invasion. 

3 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Can't see how that would be, Russia's economy is smaller than Italy's and slightly bigger than Spain's, sure there'd be economic ramifications but nowhere near a quid pro quo or a fiscal armageddon.

Sanctions are massively asymmetrical in the west's favour. You can see that looking at the fall in value of the rouble today. But it will massively hurt Europe too. 

I hold up my hands, I didn't think he would launch a country wide attack. I still don't want to directly intervene with boots on ground but we should be providing them with as much military support as we can, give them drones, air defence, tank defence etc. And firmly draw a line behind incursions to any NATO country. Very worrying times we live in. 

6 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Russia supplies nearly half of the EU gas and oil. How is it possible to stop that without fucking an entire continent?

30 minutes ago, Ken said:

what’s Australia doing about it? 

1 minute ago, Renton said:

Sanctions are massively asymmetrical in the west's favour. You can see that looking at the fall in value of the rouble today. But it will massively hurt Europe too. 

I hold up my hands, I didn't think he would launch a country wide attack. I still don't want to directly intervene with boots on ground but we should be providing them with as much military support as we can, give them drones, air defence, tank defence etc. And firmly draw a line behind incursions to any NATO country. Very worrying times we live in. 

can I ask why not? Johnson and Biden have been warning this was coming for weeks. 

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Russia supplies nearly half of the EU gas and oil. How is it possible to stop that without fucking an entire continent?

I wonder how much can be compensated for by re-routing energy supplies, what the scope is? I can see the cause for Scottish independence and NUFC getting significant boosts. 

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

can I ask why not? Johnson and Biden have been warning this was coming for weeks. 

We have imposed sanctions and frozen assets of those close to Putin. But you must understand we are a tiny player in matters like this despite talking big. It won't affect Russia at all

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

Because I still can't get my head around why. It doesn't strike me as a rational action, I was assuming Putin was a rational actor. If he isn't, I hope he can be taken out from within. I see now why he had long tables. 

• Like 2