Vladimir Putin and Russia

Anorthernsoul

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Ginolaandtonic said:

Well, if they’ve paid their debt to society… 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

“ That’s right, leave your luggage, clothes, and gold here and just step in to the ‘showers’…” 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

6 hours ago, Ginolaandtonic said:

Well, if they’ve paid their debt to society… 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

You understand what conscripted means right? They're not being afforded an opportunity here, they're being forced to do it because in his eyes, as former criminals, they're lesser human beings.

So they are in fact paying an additional debt to society. 

13 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

“ That’s right, leave your luggage, clothes, and gold here and just step in to the ‘showers’…” 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

I’m not sure which bit bothers you?

I would think sending ex murderers to go and be cannon fodder is better than sending non murderers?

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

You understand what conscripted means right? They're not being afforded an opportunity here, they're being forced to do it because in his eyes, as former criminals, they're lesser human beings.

So they are in fact paying an additional debt to society. 

It was tongue in cheek

The liberal/lefty tendency is to “understand” the criminal and that punishment is almost a dirty word.

I was using the term in a sarcastic way to “let the ex prisoners live their dreams”

Just now, Ginolaandtonic said:

It was tongue in cheek

The liberal/lefty tendency is to “understand” the criminal and that punishment is almost a dirty word.

I was using the term in a sarcastic way to “let the ex prisoners live their dreams”

I would rephrase this. The Liberal left is brave enough to recognise that people who do these things are human beings, and that the darkness of thought which compels such actions could with the right set of circumstances, occur in any of us. Therefore we have to be able to understand them as we have to be able to understand ourselves - and doing so is the only way to make anything better.

The hellfire and brimstone right instead hides from the truth and prefers to call these people animals and other dehumanising terms because it wishes to believe that there is just something innately evil in them, that this cannot be explained or reasoned with, and that they should be written off.

They are people. As such we are compelled to understand them if we want to deal with the causes if them committing crimes. Otherwise we're doomed to simply live in a world were crime is a relentless evil that we cannot deal with other than shooting it dead at every opportunity. Which is indeed the world the right thinks it lives in.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I would rephrase this. The Liberal left is brave enough to recognise that people who do these things are human beings, and that the darkness of thought which compels such actions could with the right set of circumstances, occur in any of us. Therefore we have to be able to understand them as we have to be able to understand ourselves - and doing so is the only way to make anything better.

The hellfire and brimstone right instead hides from the truth and prefers to call these people animals and other dehumanising terms because it wishes to believe that there is just something innately evil in them, that this cannot be explained or reasoned with, and that they should be written off.

They are people. As such we are compelled to understand them if we want to deal with the causes if them committing crimes. Otherwise we're doomed to simply live in a world were crime is a relentless evil that we cannot deal with other than shooting it dead at every opportunity. Which is indeed the world the right thinks it lives in.

That’s what John and Yoko used to say until Mark Chapman shot John Lennon…

33 minutes ago, Ginolaandtonic said:

That’s what John and Yoko used to say until Mark Chapman shot John Lennon…

I always refer people to Brendan Cox on this. His wife (Jo Cox, MP) was murdered by a right wing terrorist - the right itself in this instance would have to throw their hands up and say "well, he was just evil, nothing anyone could have done". Cox on the other hand publicly forgave the man and called for greater understanding into the root causes of social division. He held true to his principles because he understood that the man who killed his wife had been turned into a vehicle for murder by right wing propaganda focused on hate.

To call that man an animal and write him off is to take our eye off the real reason for her death. The politics and media of the right wing - and we have to stand in defiance of their hatred and insecurity day in and day out to prevent society collapsing around us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1