I'm really hoping we look to fill that number 10 role, even if it's just a loan to get us through until the summer when we can get a higher calibre one. I think we could get by the 3 or so games in January we'd have Shelvey missing for (if he is banned) if we had two out of Colback, Tiote, Diame, or Hayden playing behind a capable number 10 as it's been a really key position we've been lacking and I think a couple of these losses could have been draws or wins if we'd had one.

Might be worth us testing the resolve of Barnsley for Hourihane?

Can't say I've really seen any of him, if he's a genuine AMC then that's what I think we need as the link between the lines is lacking. We could look for a £3-5m player to get us through to the summer, I mean I think we'll get promoted as things stand but I think it'll be much smoother if we get a bloke in that position.

Maybe we could allow them to keep Armstrong on loan until the end of the season (it's only until Jan at the minute isn't it?) and give them £3m.

Aye but then the counter logic goes, if we get a PL standard player who is prepared to drop down to the Championship for 6 months, couldn't we get a better one in the summer who wouldn't drop down, but would join us as a PL outfit?

Can't say I've really seen any of him, if he's a genuine AMC then that's what I think we need as the link between the lines is lacking. We could look for a £3-5m player to get us through to the summer, I mean I think we'll get promoted as things stand but I think it'll be much smoother if we get a bloke in that position.

Maybe we could allow them to keep Armstrong on loan until the end of the season (it's only until Jan at the minute isn't it?) and give them £3m.

Yeah I've not seen loads of him, but he's well regarded and seems to be building on his debut season for Barnsley in 14/15 with a decent showing in 15/16; 3 Goals - 5 assists - 81.5% Pass Success

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2_oPO_aT6s

• 3 weeks later...

Jonjo Shelvey has been given a five-match suspension and £100,000 fine after an FA misconduct charge against him was found proven.

Jonjo was charged with using abusive and/or insulting words towards an opponent in the 87th minute of the game against Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday, 17th September 2016.

It was further alleged that this breach of Rule E3(1) was an “Aggravated Breach” as defined in Rule E3(2), as it included reference to ethnic origin and/or race and/or nationality.

The player, who denied the charge at an Independent Regulatory Commission hearing, was also ordered to attend an FA education course.

The sanction has been set aside pending consideration for an appeal.  The player has seven days from receipt of written reasons in which to lodge any appeal. 

The club and the player will await the FA's written reasons before making any further comment on this matter.

It's hard to know too much without seeing the full report but given that he received the very minimum possible ban it may be that what happened wasn't that bad.

I'm curious as to what has proven to be so conclusive as to hand out the ban in the first place, the highlights that supposedly show the incident are in the thread somewhere and you can barely tell what's meant to have occurred.

I half think that he had his previous red rescinded so that they could appear impartial for this one. At the end of the day, if he said something racist or whatever the claim is, he should be suspended for it. We're good enough to manage without him IMO.

That said, does the 7 day appeal period mean he can play in our next game?

The positive from a football point of view is that Diame has started to look the part, albeit alongside Shelvey.

Pity he's fucking off to ACoN in early January. Will leave us short on creativity in the middle.

Edited by ewerk

I half think that he had his previous red rescinded so that they could appear impartial for this one. At the end of the day, if he said something racist or whatever the claim is, he should be suspended for it. We're good enough to manage without him IMO.

That said, does the 7 day appeal period mean he can play in our next game?

He could potentially play in a couple of games before the appeal is heard. That though would mean missing the Brighton match if his ban is subsequently upheld.

He could potentially play in a couple of games before the appeal is heard. That though would mean missing the Brighton match if his ban is subsequently upheld.

True, but it would see us into January and potential transfers to cover the issue. Although a 5 game ban seems to be a fairly trivial reason to buy someone, especially given that we're not actually imperilled in the auto-promotion stakes.