Totally agree with Andrew.  His lack of mobility, which is only going to get worse at his age, means we need to be looking to replace him in the summer.  Giving contract extentions to players who aren't good enough has caused us problems for years so I don't see any desire in renewing his unless he can improve quite a bit next season with better players around him.  If he can then a short term extension may be worthwhile but I suspect it will be at that stage that ties are cut.

ASM is a totally different proposition.  He is certainly frustrating but he's still young enough to improve, particularly with better players around him.  And we shouldn't be forgetting that for most of this season he's been our only player who produced anything going forward.  He's still our second top scorer and has the most assists and chances created.  In a team with more attacking ability, like we should be next season, he will get more space and could well prove even more dangerous.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

Totally agree with Andrew.  His lack of mobility, which is only going to get worse at his age, means we need to be looking to replace him in the summer. 

The other side of the coin is that he has never relied on pace or mobility so his advanced age shouldn't mean that his performances deteriorate as quickly as a proper box to box midfielder.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I think its absolute madness that shelvey and asm are being mentioned in the same breath tbh. 

both talented but inconsistent players. which one has had the better season do you reckon? 

I would give Shelvey a year extension on the understanding he keeps getting another year if he keeps being a valuable squad member. Then the ball is in his court 

• Like 2

I think he’s fine as a squad player going forward but I personally don’t rate him highly. I also think we see a similar trend with him when a manager comes in that his performances pick up for a bit and he works harder but it eventually stops. It’s went longer with Howe as I think bringing in Bruno has shown him he will actually have to work to keep his place, so maybe it continues but it’s something to be wary of imo. 

I think the forward line is the major priority for this summer, so he might kind of keep his place because of that focus but we should definitely be looking to improve on him at some point in the near future. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

Totally agree with Andrew.  His lack of mobility, which is only going to get worse at his age, means we need to be looking to replace him in the summer.  Giving contract extentions to players who aren't good enough has caused us problems for years so I don't see any desire in renewing his unless he can improve quite a bit next season with better players around him.  If he can then a short term extension may be worthwhile but I suspect it will be at that stage that ties are cut.

ASM is a totally different proposition.  He is certainly frustrating but he's still young enough to improve, particularly with better players around him.  And we shouldn't be forgetting that for most of this season he's been our only player who produced anything going forward.  He's still our second top scorer and has the most assists and chances created.  In a team with more attacking ability, like we should be next season, he will get more space and could well prove even more dangerous.

he's got one more season left on his contract. i'd allow him to see it out then potentially give him the option of a year extension depending on how he does or let him go on a free

16 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

both talented but inconsistent players. which one has had the better season do you reckon? 

both have been good in patches. not much else to say really... shelvey is really useful as a non defensively minded pivot, but his weaknesses are his woeful lack of mobility, and his tackling. his passing is still really his only strength. that won't go away in the next 18 months. 

ASM sometimes tries too hard. still one of the best one on one players i've ever seen. needs to be end product focused now. has the talent, mentality wise and peak fitness he's been a little away from great form for most of the season. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ewerk said:

The other side of the coin is that he has never relied on pace or mobility so his advanced age shouldn't mean that his performances deteriorate as quickly as a proper box to box midfielder.

He's never relied on it but it's been the thing, imo, that's held him back from being a much better player.  It's also been the thing that, again imo, more than anything else that has resulted in the amount of cards he has picked up over the years.  If he starts getting any slower he's going to be a liability.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

he's got one more season left on his contract. i'd allow him to see it out then potentially give him the option of a year extension depending on how he does or let him go on a free

That's exactly what I'm saying.  If he can play well with what should be better players in front of him he may still be useful for another season.

12 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Sell him now.

Interesting. How much would we get for him at his age? £10m? Is he not worth hanging on to even if he is mostly starting on the bench next season? Got to be shifting the likes of Hayden first 

32 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Interesting. How much would we get for him at his age? £10m? Is he not worth hanging on to even if he is mostly starting on the bench next season? Got to be shifting the likes of Hayden first 

£6-10m? I honestly think Shelvey has played pretty well this season, but this is the last window where we'll get anything for him. I think we can become a better team without him. 

Shift Hayden as well as Shelvey, fuck it make Isaac part of the package.

48 minutes ago, The Fish said:

£6-10m? I honestly think Shelvey has played pretty well this season, but this is the last window where we'll get anything for him. I think we can become a better team without him. 

Shift Hayden as well as Shelvey, fuck it make Isaac part of the package.

Including Hayden will drop the value to about £250k

• Haha 6

57 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

If we do shift him that leaves us with Longstaff for cover.  I don't know about you I would rather have Shelvey.  That's ignoring the transfer window of course.

Excuse me what the fuck?

15 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Dave turning on a member of the bald brotherhood.

By the power of baldskull, IIIIII SAYYYYY WE KEEP HIIIIIIIIMMMM!

He's not bald, he's got a disease. That's like saying Tanni Grey-Thompson is short.