Shaving

Monkeys Fist

Since my chin plumage is now mostly grey with a hint of black, I'm under instruction from Mrs. Fist to shave more often :lol:

I've been looking at safety razors online, since the usual multi-bladed shite peddled by Gillette etc boils my piss and is ridiculously over priced.

Anybody on here use them, (safety razors), and if so, any recommendations?

I'm looking at up to £30 for the razor itself, blades are buttons per hundred online.

I also want this to further split our already divided board, and fully expect the sitters to also be electric shave savages.

ci0rqno9mbn77vd0fyzf.jpg

Edwin Jagger DE89

Edwin Jagger makes some of the finest safety razors for wet shaving in the business, and the DE89 double-edged razor is no exception. They even make custom razors for Gilette's cartridge razors, so if you prefer one of those, visit their website—you may like their blades better. The DE89 however is a beautuful razor, it comes with blades, and offers a smooth, short handle that's easy to control. Loading and unloading is easy, and the handle is well balanced.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edwin-Jagger-DE89L-Detail-Chrome/dp/B005GO38ZY?th=1

..........and as Tooj says the Merkur long handle.

vnxwxyrb3pbue8cq3f0z.jpg

http://www.muehle-shaving.com/en/Shop/

Edited by Park Life

Yup, used a double edge safety razor for about a year and a half now, get way less razor burn than i would have when i used the usual Wilkinson sword efforts, and the cost is a fraction of what i would've spent

Blades -  http://www.shaving.ie/products/50-feather-blades.html  £14 for 50  and generally come out as the best blades, even then still cheap

Razor - http://www.shavelounge.co.uk/edwin-jagger-de89l-safety-razor  (i use the EdwinJagger one parky happened to mention but with a lined handle for a bit of grip )

Brush - http://www.shavelounge.co.uk/omega-49-pure-bristle-shaving-brush-black-handle   (boars hair is way cheaper than badger and is firmer, the badger brushi had was a bit floppy/too soft)

Cream - http://www.shavelounge.co.uk/taylor-of-old-bond-street-sandalwood-shaving-cream-150g  the proasso stuff is grand too, just a personal pref i like the taylor stuff.

balm - http://www.shavelounge.co.uk/proraso-eucalyptus-menthol-liquid-after-shave-cream

Initially thought when i switched it'd be a ballache or i'd cut the life out of myself, takes no longer than i'd have spent before and was grand from the get go tbh

With the exception of the razor, I use the same list.

I prefer the razor to be heavier so it's weight does most of the shaving rather than pressure I'd need to apply and use this one: http://www.shavelounge.co.uk/merkur-futur-safety-razor

I use one in all, I have the Merkur Tooj recommended as well as a short one (I think it's called a 34c) for when I'm travelling. I also use the feather razor blades Ant recommended, they're class and as you say cost fuck all really.

You can get other blades like Astra's or Derby's that are pretty much just as good and a little bit cheaper than the Feathers, I would recommend trying to find a good sampler pack, they normally have a mix of Astra, Derby, Gillette, Feather etc blades (normally a 5 pack of each brand) and that way you can try them all out and see what you prefer then buy 400 of the ones you like for about the same price as 6 of the 5 blade razors.

Gemmill you need to make the switch in all, it's a 'game changer' as some of the forums true resident hipsters are prone to say.

edit: Just looked at the link you posted about the razor you like and that's the one I have for travelling, it's quality tbh. It also has a sampler pack in the "recommended" bit at the side, people prefer different kinds so I'd go for that for a fiver. 

Oh aye you might want to consider an Alum block as you might cut yourself more than usual when you're getting used to shaving with it, I didn't bother mind but some people like them as Ant mentioned you wont cut yourself as much as you think anyway. 

Edited by Howay

Speaking of hipster douches, I was at this boozer in Peckham yesterday that is full of vintage consoles and arcades from street fighter 2 to time crisis. Spent the early part of the evening playing Mario karts on the Nintendo 64 on a projector.

:lol:

I knew this would descend into what it has. :lol:

Cheers to Tooj, Howay and Ant (and Parky) for the advice, though.

I think I'll take Howay's tip and go for the Merkur with the variety pack of blades first.

Gemmill is clearly happy enough using the leftover Lady Venus' from his previous nuptials, sufficient for a sparse ginger bumfluff, innit? :whistle:

Are these any good for shaving your head?

I usually use my clippers unguarded to get the bonce down to the minimum, then use a double bladed "whatever's cheapest " disposable to go for the full "Shelvey".

Got any mustache wax recommendations while you're on, you fucking hipsters?

You haven't lived until you've whipped up a good lather using your L'Occitane puc dahling.

Good stuff HMHM, save yourself a fortune in the long run. You also don't begrudge hoying the blades away as they're only 10-20p a pop so you don't ever have to shave with a dull blade. 

For getting rid of the blades I normally get an empty plastic bottle and either put the used blades in the top or cut a hole in the bottle and put them through that if they don't fit through the top, then when it's full (normally a long fucking time) I tape up the top and/or hole and put it in the recycling. That way you don't have to worry about some bloke slashing his arms to bits picking up your recycling/rubbish. Works over here, can't remember how you do recycling back home mind.

Good stuff HMHM, save yourself a fortune in the long run. You also don't begrudge hoying the blades away as they're only 10-20p a pop so you don't ever have to shave with a dull blade.

For getting rid of the blades I normally get an empty plastic bottle and either put the used blades in the top or cut a hole in the bottle and put them through that if they don't fit through the top, then when it's full (normally a long fucking time) I tape up the top and/or hole and put it in the recycling. That way you don't have to worry about some bloke slashing his arms to bits picking up your recycling/rubbish. Works over here, can't remember how you do recycling back home mind.

I use an electric Phillips shaver or gillette mach 3 depending on how arsed I feel. The blades are too pricey and I end up using blunt blades. Getting a new bathroom and en suite soon so I might even buy a razor/brush stand and feel geet posh. :D

I use an electric Phillips shaver or gillette mach 3 depending on how arsed I feel. The blades are too pricey and I end up using blunt blades. Getting a new bathroom and en suite soon so I might even buy a razor/brush stand and feel geet posh.  :D

:lol:

Edited by Howay

the bottom of the blade dispenser has a hole for putting used blades in (the feather ones do at least) 

Aye the Feathers do which is another reason they're mint, I just actually switched to Feather recently (in part as they have that feature) the Gillette boxes and some others didn't and that's why I used the bottle.