Football Manager 17

Andrew

Grant fucking Hanley is a fucking gobshite. 

Comfortably leading Blackburn 2-0 thanks to Mitrovic and Ritchie, Grant Hanley picks up a yellow for persistent fouling, so I tell him to calm down and I change his tackling instructions. 5 minutes later he cocks up and allows Sam Gallagher to get one back. 10 minutes later there's a carbon copy error and he's on a 6.0 and we've thrown away a 2 goal lead. 20 minutes into the second half he gives away a penalty to be around 5.4. Sels saves it, but I'm in the process of hauling off the big Scottish lump when he gets his second yellow for persistent fouling. 

We manage to win the game 4-2 thanks to a Mitrovic hattrick, and I tell the boys how pleased I am with their performances (most over 6.7 and a few 8s and Mitro 9.5). I tell Hanley I'm disappointed in his sending off. Confused and demotivated. HOW ARE YOU CONFUSED, YOU SPORRAN WEARING, FRIED CHOCOLATE EATING, COCK SUCKING SASSENACH?! You were told to pack it in because you'd be sent off and you didn't pack it in and you got sent off. The rest of your game was blighted with mistakes too!

He then complains to me about my team talk (that everyone else was delighted or motivated and inspired by) I tell him to respect my authority. He then moans to the rest of the team and because of the way SI build that conversation I either have to tell the entire squad to shut the fuck up and deal with it, or acquiesce to their requests to change my team talks.

That fat lump is on the first sunshine bus to burnley for all I care.

Edited by The Fish

Reading mixed reviews, it FM2017 worth getting?

Not played it in years and I fancy taking it up again.....

Depends what you want, if you want the rapid fire games of yore, you might be better off getting FM Touch for a tablet. If you want to really get into the granular levels now available, I'd say it was excellent.

It remains the best football management game by an absolute mile.

Having a fucking mare with my save atm, playing as AC milan.

Everyone and their nanna wants to buy de sciglio, donnarumma and romagnoli off me. They bid next to nowt, I reject it and the players kick off because the pre-programmed responses do nothing but put their backs up. So to keep them I end up upping their wages and sticking in a minimum release clause, de sciglio has had 3 pay rises this season.. He accounts for a 8% of my total wage bill now the cheeky cunt.

I won the league last season and top of the league and in the cup final and champo league quarters this, so im going to do this season and resign. Hopefully find a club that players actually want to play for.

:lol: Aye that's what I was getting on my Liverpool save, it's a total fucking nightmare tbh and the game is frustrating as there's nothing you can do.

Edited by Howay

You guys hand these pay rises out far too readily, they get over not being allowed to move pretty quickly if you're firm with them

:lol: Coric was the only one I gave a pay rise too tbh aside from a few players who had emerged as first teamers and they were on youth deals, I sold most the rest of them or they settled down.

I went the other way, finished the season unbeatem, won the league, cup and champions league. Then quit. Man city sucked me and my best mate jaap stam off to get us there. Handed me 180 million and the best squad in England. Win the treble here am I'm off to Spain/Germany to continue my dominance.

:lol: Sounds good, it's mint having ample money sometimes on it.

I started a new game with Newcastle, I loaned Kyle Walker-Peters from Spurs and he has started nearly every game for me until he broke his shoulder, after missing about a month he just returned from injury so I made him available for the U-23's to get match fit and didn't put him in the squad against Barnsley. After the match I have Pochettino moaning at me saying Walker-Peters isn't playing enough :lol: there's no option for me to say he has been injured for a month you daft bastard.

They need to sort a few of these bugs out like. The ones that annoy me most are, players who are "backup" or "rotation" kicking off about not playing every week, other managers moaning about you not playing loan players, you loan a player out as a "key player" and they never play. Mostly though its the selling players to other teams for half price compared to my bid.

Agreed, it's really hard to keep a squad because of that as they all just start moaning their tits off unless they get 15-20 games a season (and even then they'll be moaning if there are big gaps between the games). I've just been ignoring the messages about Ponchettino wanting to discuss the loan as it's after every fixture I have that he doesn't feature, but he's at 50% match fitness and the medical staff are saying don't play him for more than 45 mins, it'll probably end up with him being recalled unless he becomes fit enough to start soon.

The worst is the low bids accepted by other computer teams as well, I saw Isco go for about 14m in season 2 to PSG, I've tried bidding for him in games before and they were demanding in excess of 40m despite him never featuring. That inconsistency is a pain, it also makes the game unfair and I end up having to buy up and comers rather than being able to assemble a team of present star names, another example on one of my games was Hazard to Man Utd in season 3, he went for about 28m ffs.

Agreed, it's really hard to keep a squad because of that as they all just start moaning their tits off unless they get 15-20 games a season (and even then they'll be moaning if there are big gaps between the games). I've just been ignoring the messages about Ponchettino wanting to discuss the loan as it's after every fixture I have that he doesn't feature, but he's at 50% match fitness and the medical staff are saying don't play him for more than 45 mins, it'll probably end up with him being recalled unless he becomes fit enough to start soon.

The worst is the low bids accepted by other computer teams as well, I saw Isco go for about 14m in season 2 to PSG, I've tried bidding for him in games before and they were demanding in excess of 40m despite him never featuring. That inconsistency is a pain, it also makes the game unfair and I end up having to buy up and comers rather than being able to assemble a team of present star names, another example on one of my games was Hazard to Man Utd in season 3, he went for about 28m ffs.

Whenever I see one of the lads on my shortlist getting bids from teams I'll match their's, at the very least it gets me to the contract stage where I can throw phat bonuses at him to confuse him and his agent into signing and ignoring that optional 2 year extension I've put in there.

Got it, played it, haven't a clue what to do. I haven't played FM since FM2010......

Ok, 

Check the team report that your assistant manager's done for you, itll be on the left and look like a folder, underneath the tactics button. 

That'll give you a broad understanding of where your team is strong, or weak. Are there any glaring gaps in the 1st team that you need to address, would 1 injury to your striker leave you playing some unproven kid? If so, send your scouts out to find you whatever you're in need of. You can set instructions by clicking  Magnifying glass -> Quick search -> first team player -> position -> role, then apply filters. 

Look at your staff. Is there a coach there who's stealing a living, if there a scout with judging CA & PA of <12? If so, find a better replacement and when the new guy is ready to sign you'll be offered the opportunity to get shot of someone (unless you've extra staff slots to fill).

Then think about what kind of football you want to play at the minute. Best to start simple as your team are going to have to learn it, the more complicated you make the formation and instructions, the longer it'll take for them to get used to it.

Arrange some friendlies, choose them wisely and be prepared to tear up your tactics three games into the season because your overlapping fullbacks are knackered before 1/2 time, or your new clever striker just got snapped by some Latvian behemoth.

Ok, 

Check the team report that your assistant manager's done for you, itll be on the left and look like a folder, underneath the tactics button. 

That'll give you a broad understanding of where your team is strong, or weak. Are there any glaring gaps in the 1st team that you need to address, would 1 injury to your striker leave you playing some unproven kid? If so, send your scouts out to find you whatever you're in need of. You can set instructions by clicking  Magnifying glass -> Quick search -> first team player -> position -> role, then apply filters. 

Look at your staff. Is there a coach there who's stealing a living, if there a scout with judging CA & PA of <12? If so, find a better replacement and when the new guy is ready to sign you'll be offered the opportunity to get shot of someone (unless you've extra staff slots to fill).

Then think about what kind of football you want to play at the minute. Best to start simple as your team are going to have to learn it, the more complicated you make the formation and instructions, the longer it'll take for them to get used to it.

Arrange some friendlies, choose them wisely and be prepared to tear up your tactics three games into the season because your overlapping fullbacks are knackered before 1/2 time, or your new clever striker just got snapped by some Latvian behemoth.

:icon_lol:

Cheers lad, it's gotten really complicated over the last few years.

:icon_lol:

Cheers lad, it's gotten really complicated over the last few years.

Oh aye, I can genuinely load it and fuck around for hours before playing a competitive match. I can spend ages on staffing the coaching and medical teams too.

Like, in the Championship, do I really give a fuck that my 'keeping coaches are only rated 3rd in the league? You bet your shiny ass I'm going to spend the next 30 minutes trying to find a coach that's better while arguing with the board to increase the spaces on the coaching team. Though quite what the point in the Sports Scientists and Data Analysts is, is a mystery.

I'd like if you got feedback from your coaches about areas of the system that are perhaps letting you down, suggesting playing someone in a different role that maybe they're not perfect at, but works better in the formation/system. Instead, you have to rely on trial and error, until you find a couple of systems that work, which can come a cropper if your asymmetric 4-1-3-1-1 suddenly stops working.

It's frustrating when a player demands gametime, gets it, then moans that you've dropped him because he's posted subpar performances. You have the option to say "Last time I played you, you were shit", but I've never had a response other than "Well I don't see what that's got to do with anything?!"

With Newcastle in the Championship I play;

At home against the best sides and away to good ones: 4-4-1-1 counter attack with attacking fullbacks. Atsu as an out and out Winger, Ritchie a Wide Midfielder. Perez as an Advanced Playmaker behind Mitrovic. Shelvey in the centre as a Deep Lying Playmaker (that he's being re-trained into) alongside Hayden who started as a Ball Winning Midfielder, but as the yellows started stacking up I changed him to a Central Midfielder with his individual instructions tweaked to close down much more, and dribbling, shooting less. So basically a Ball Winning midfielder that doesn't snap into tackles.

Most of the others I play a Wide 4-2-3-1 controlling the play high up the pitch. Ritchie/Christie plays as an Inside Forward, Atsu/Lincoln as a high winger, Perez/Kuki as an Attacking Midfielder just behind Mitrovic.

If I face a team that I'm heavily favoured to win I'll play the narrow version of the 4-2-3-1 and put the mucky little fuckers under the kosh.

• 2 months later...

Started a new save as Worcester. They play in the Vanarama National League North (the lowest league possible) and their board expected me to bravely struggle against relegation.

They are fucking terrible; their 1st choice 'keeper is on loan from West Brom and has a first touch of 1. One! He's a professional fucking footballer. They've a decent striker, but so much of their squad is terrible.

I've got rid of a few of their shit old angry defenders, brought in some kids with League 2 potential, loaned a few teenagers and after 11 games, I'm 3rd in the league with the most possession and passes completed. 

Started the league well, played 4, won 4, scored 9, conceded 0. Since then I've played 7, W2, D 3, L2. 

Just put 5 past Matlock in the cup and I'm hoping that gives the forwards a bit more confidence so I can work on the defence a bit.