Promotion

Rayvin

The main worry wouldn't be attracting that type of manager it would be Ashley's interest (or lack of) in employing them if we're a comfortable mid-table team. He might happily go back to a cheap manager again at that point, it's basically impossible to determine Ashley's intentions at this point really.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well he did exactly that with hughton so you can't rule it out, but i'm starting to wonder (and hope) if the fat twat might have finally learned his lesson after a decade of fucking it up.

et's say everything clicks into place under rafa, we go up first of asking and he re-establishes us as a top 6 side. i'd like to think ashley would just leave it alone and let benitez continue to do his job. he's obviously got an agreement in place that his predecessors weren't able to negotiate. he calls the shots on and off the field.

Re-establishes?  What like back at the beginning of the last century?

If we'd not had that string of midtable finishes between Keegan and Robson I think we could have claimed to have been established top 6. As it stands, I'd say we were established top half on the balance of things.

EDIT - those 11 seasons come to a 6.6 average finish.

Edited by Rayvin

If we'd not had that string of midtable finishes between Keegan and Robson I think we could have claimed to have been established top 6. As it stands, I'd say we were established top half on the balance of things.

Right, so what if Rafa re-establishes us as a top 6.6 side?

If we'd transitioned straight from Keegan to Robson, I think we could have claimed to have been an established title chasing team. 

Maybe that's fair, although I don't think we were as close to title chasing under Robson as we were under Keegan. Robson's era felt more about qualifying for Europe, not sure we ever really stood a chance at the title.

It'll be interesting to see where we get to with Rafa to be honest. If the money in the PL is balancing things out across the teams, Rafa himself could make a big difference.

That said, we need to go up first.

2002 we were top of the league for a fair bit iirc? that was the season Fergie publicly stated that we might just do it..just before Bellamy got knacked and we finished 4th :lol:

Fair enough - I certainly don't want to play down what we achieved then, but over the three years when we were actually there or thereabouts, I don't think we could have been considered consistent challengers. It was 3rd, 4th and 5th wasn't it?

The 3rd would cover it. Not sure about the 4th and 5th. Could we settle on established top 4?? :lol:

I was meaning more in terms of Bobby Robson working with Peter Beardsley, David Ginola, Les Ferdinand, and a 26yr old Shearer. Instead, he inherited Marcelino, Goma, Domi and Maric.

we were definitely top of the table at christmas one year. that team with bellas, robert, speed, dyer and shearer was lush. 

Yup, gave rise to Bobby's moon quote.

Journalist "If you beat Arsenal and Man United don't beat Leeds, you could be top for Christmas"

Bobby "Aye, but if I had wings I could fly to the moon"

J "Sure, Bobby, but would you like to be there?"

B "What? The moon?"

:lol:

something like that, anyway.