Promotion

Rayvin

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why I'm hoping we get a quality central midfielder in before the window shuts. Shelvey getting injured is possible, Shelvey getting another ban is possible. Rotherham marked him so closely in the 1st half he couldn't impose himself on the game and while we managed to find a breakthrough we might struggle in other games if they take a similar approach.

Very confident we'll get automatic promotion, pretty confident we'll get the title too.

even if shelvey picks up a season-ending injury? 

If we sign some quality in the window, yeah. If Shelvey gets crocked but we pick up, say, Townsend, I'd fancy his quality to shine through sufficient games to drag us over the line. Other than Atsu, we don't really have a player that reliably gets past players, sign Townsend and defending teams can't smother the supply as easily.

it'd be a proper grind if we the window shut with this same group of players then we lost shelvey for the season. we might still go up automatically but i wouldn't bet on it. 

So if we don't sign anyone and Shelvey is out for the season, would I be as confident? no, obviously not, but that's a pretty unlikely set of circumstance. And I'd have faith in Benitez to shuffle the pack until he finds a good combination.

I think now thathat Anita's out and Yedlin is our RB for every game we'll see a good partnership down the right similar to what we had with Jonas and Enrique (although not as good) as Ritchie likes to cut inside and it opens up space for Yedlin as seen atthe weekend, as Anita was always reluctant to go on the overlap.

Diame being available could change the thinking if Shelvey were to get a season ending injury.  Of course Rafa would have to accept we can't play Hayden and Colback in the centre and actually play Diame there.  Which is not something I'm convinced he'd do.