Promotion

Rayvin

That bastion of reason and insight Kris Boyd has had his say on Cathro

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/kris-boyd-tears-newcastle-coach-9396571

However, former Rangers frontman Boyd, who took his Pro Licence with Cathro, believes he is way of his depth.

“He’s probably not been this excited since FIFA 17 came out on PlayStation," Boyd wrote in his Scottish Sun column.

“But Ian Cathro is about to find out what football’s like in the real world. No harm to the guy set to be named as Hearts boss. I was on the same Pro Licence course as Cathro, and he’s definitely obsessed with coaching.

“He’s one of the up-and-coming, modern-era coaches who can organise a session just by flicking open his laptop.

“There isn’t a session out there he couldn’t get on to his Macbook. But setting up a presentation to a group of players is all well and good.

“That does not require man management skills, which is part of the game he knows absolutely nothing about.

"Time will tell if I’m wrong on that. But if I was a Jambo I’d be worried.

“For me the practical stuff involved in coaching is easy — it’s dealing with highly-charged players that’s the hard part.

“And for me Cathro is way, way out of his depth.”

"Look at him, with his counting machine, bet he doesn't even let his players have a fag at half time!"

I've heard nothing but good things about Cathro and he's certainly paid his dues, hope he does well up there. 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say I'm fussed on him going at all as Rafa will replace him with a talented coach fairly quickly, as others have said I feel he was mostly kept for continuity.

I full expect Boyd to go on and become a top quality coach after his statement, the lad has been a high up coach at Valencia and NUFC so I don't think he's going to be completely out of his depth managing Hearts. Good luck to the lad but I still do question any of the coaching staff that worked under McClaren regardless of Rafa keeping him.

Rafa obviously had some faith in him so it's not the best news for us.  But I think it's clear that Rafa works to a system with his coaches so I don't think it will be a problem for us to replace him.

I agree that continuity would have been part of the reason for him staying in the summer and now we've had a few months of the players working with the other coaches, that side of it isn't an issue either.

I wish him luck up there in non league football and genuinely hope he can win the league with Hearts.

Don't think we have many options other than playing diame in there, in other words. It's that or two defensive midfielders and diame or Perez ahead of them - I hope we don't do that. We're good enough to play on the front foot in this division.

If we don't go with Diame in the centre, and play what are essentially two defensive midfielders in there, I think there's more of a chance that we'll play two up front.  If we're relying on our creativity coming from the flanks then you would think we'd need to have an aerial threat so that means we need to look at playing Mitro or Murphy and I don't see Gayle getting dropped. 

If we don't go with Diame in the centre, and play what are essentially two defensive midfielders in there, I think there's more of a chance that we'll play two up front.  If we're relying on our creativity coming from the flanks then you would think we'd need to have an aerial threat so that means we need to look at playing Mitro or Murphy and I don't see Gayle getting dropped. 

i don't see rafa playing two strikers like. 

i don't see rafa playing two strikers like. 

Well nothing he's done so far makes it look likely I agree (although I still say that in effect he's done it already with Perez and even Diame to an extent) but I think our attacking capabilities could look a lot weaker if sticks to one and then plays Colback and Hayden in the middle.

How about

Darlow

Yedlin Lasc Clark Dummett

Ritchie Hayden Diame Atsu

Mitro

Gayle

Mitro played as a pivot that the others play off, almost like a deep lying target man?

I was just being a forest fan, that line is apparently all they've got

Oh, I got that, I was just saying it's an odd thing for them to throw at us. I know they've won stuff a lot more recently but it's still getting on for 30 years with them. And they've spent most of that period in the 2nd tier.

Massive club though, obvs

Oh, I got that, I was just saying it's an odd thing for them to throw at us. I know they've won stuff a lot more recently but it's still getting on for 30 years with them. And they've spent most of that period in the 2nd tier.

Massive club though, obvs

I don't think you get it, only certain parts of history count.

I don't think you get it, only certain parts of history count.

You're being too kind. You're inferring they're being selective as opposed to ignorant ;)

• 1 month later...

Brighton still have a game in hand but we're looking ok based on today's results. As an aside to us though, wtf happened to Bristol? Lost 5 on the bounce and now inbound to the relegation places. Weren't they up with us earlier in the season?

Edit - Villa clearly not coming up this year either, despite the Bruce revolution.

Edited by Rayvin

I'm not worried about getting promotion tbh, I'd just really like to see us win the league. Not that I'm writing off any chance of the teams below catching us for an auto spot but we've rode through a patch of form that will probably prove to be the roughest we'll have all season and have come out 6-7 points clear of 3rd so I'm not overly concerned especially now we have the player our side is built around back.

It's good to see Villa still well off the pace as you say, I hope they're down here for yonks. 

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently at this stage in the season, teams with the same number of points as ourselves and Brighton have never failed to get promoted. So it looks like you're right, it's just a question of who wins.

If Shelvey can remain available, I suspect we will take it.