Our squad

Kid Dynamite

good post dickie. i'd like to think that too, but if you look at the quality of a few of the players he's bought in, and some of those he's retained, you have to question whether they're up for competing in the PL.

Oh aye definitely - I agree we'll need to bring in some extra quality but I tend to think that maybe three well chosen, high quality additions would kick us on to the next level. Similar to what KK did when we went up - Pedro, Cole and Sellars were all bought to go straight into the first team and he had faith that the rest of them could make the step up, which by and large they did (dunno if I'm forgetting anyone - Mark Robinson came in around the same time as Cole and Sellars didn't he? My memory is shocking now. I think Malcolm Allen was bought more as a backup iirc). Likewise Robson buying Robert and Bellamy to kick us on from a well organised mid table team to top 4. Rafa's got to keep the squad evolving and improving every summer (and Jan if needs be), but I'm not sure doing it all in one go is the way to do it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm struggling to see positions to strengthen in for January

- Possibly a RW as we only have one proper one in the squad

-If Tiote leaves we could do with another CM as Rafa doesn't seem to fancy Diame there

-LB? Dummet is our weak link and Lazaar isn't getting a look in for whatever reason

-Murphy will need to be replaced at some point too but not until next season at least

Next summer will be equally as important as the one just gone. It's a fine line between keeping the moral going within the team of players that got you promoted and the same team of players going straight back down because they can't make the step up. See Burnley/Norwich as perfect examples

Definitely need a RW. If Ritchie gets injured or drops out of form we're playing Gouffran or Yedlin.

I'd want someone like Shelvey, because if he doesn't maintain this form, we've not a lot of creativity in the centre. Perez and Diame want to play further forward and Anita, Colback and Hayden aren't creative.

I'm hoping Lazaar comes good, but he can't even get a game in the Cup against Preston.

Another Striker would be good, but might not be a priority if Gayle and Mitrovic keep scoring and Armstrong continues to improve.

Oh aye definitely - I agree we'll need to bring in some extra quality but I tend to think that maybe three well chosen, high quality additions would kick us on to the next level. Similar to what KK did when we went up - Pedro, Cole and Sellars were all bought to go straight into the first team and he had faith that the rest of them could make the step up, which by and large they did (dunno if I'm forgetting anyone - Mark Robinson came in around the same time as Cole and Sellars didn't he? My memory is shocking now. I think Malcolm Allen was bought more as a backup iirc). Likewise Robson buying Robert and Bellamy to kick us on from a well organised mid table team to top 4. Rafa's got to keep the squad evolving and improving every summer (and Jan if needs be), but I'm not sure doing it all in one go is the way to do it.

:aye: Good post

Definitely need a RW. If Ritchie gets injured or drops out of form we're playing Gouffran or Yedlin.

I'd want someone like Shelvey, because if he doesn't maintain this form, we've not a lot of creativity in the centre. Perez and Diame want to play further forward and Anita, Colback and Hayden aren't creative.

I'm hoping Lazaar comes good, but he can't even get a game in the Cup against Preston.

Another Striker would be good, but might not be a priority if Gayle and Mitrovic keep scoring and Armstrong continues to improve.

:aye: Good post

To be fair to Lazaar it's difficult for him to get a game when he's injured.  And Atsu wants to play as a right winger so he is the cover for Ritchie and Gouffran at the minute.

Allen was brought in when Pedro did his cheek in against Leicester in the first game.  Keegan had (foolishly) let a certain David Kelly go and we were desperately short of strikers until Beardsley could play again.  Allen did pretty well to be fair to him.  

Sellars, Robinson and Cole all came in at around about the same time just before the transfer window closed in the promotion season.

Allen was brought in when Pedro did his cheek in against Leicester in the first game.  Keegan had (foolishly) let a certain David Kelly go and we were desperately short of strikers until Beardsley could play again.  Allen did pretty well to be fair to him.  

Sellars, Robinson and Cole all came in at around about the same time just before the transfer window closed in the promotion season.

Ah that's right, cheers. I seem to remember it was Ruddock who broke his cheek in the Liverpool pre season friendly though - the first game was definitely Spurs at home (leicester had been the last match of the previous season). Between our two dodgy memories we'll patch together the events  :lol:

Dummet would be one of the first ones I'd look at upgrading. He's been shown up more than enough times at that level. Could be decent cover for LB/CB though.

reserve centre back is his future. he's soid defensively but that's it offers fuck all on the overlap and can't pass

To be fair to Lazaar it's difficult for him to get a game when he's injured.  And Atsu wants to play as a right winger so he is the cover for Ritchie and Gouffran at the minute.

I thought Lazaar got over his knock?

Either way, Lazaar has only managed 6 minutes in a Championship campaign with 2 games a week. 

Ah that's right, cheers. I seem to remember it was Ruddock who broke his cheek in the Liverpool pre season friendly though - the first game was definitely Spurs at home (leicester had been the last match of the previous season). Between our two dodgy memories we'll patch together the events :lol:

You might be right about ruddock. Did Pedro not do it again the next season first game away to Leicester? I'm sure I remember watching it in kavos. You're right we definitely started the first season up against Spurs. Coventry then Man Utd after that?

I thought Lazaar got over his knock?

Either way, Lazaar has only managed 6 minutes in a Championship campaign with 2 games a week. 

Still out for tomorrow apparently.  I'm not sure how many games he's missed with it (3 or 4 at least I think) but as quiff pointed out, he didn't have a preseason either and has been away once or twice with Morocco.  So it's not particularly surprising that he's not featured much as yet.  And for some reason Rafa doesn't seem to be as concerned about Dummett as the rest of us are,  I'm certainly not going to write Lazaar off at this stage.

He's apparently injured also.  Although I've been told by a mate (who heard from someone who has something to do with the physio/medical side up there) that his fitness levels were way below everyone else when he arrives.  This does seem strange for someone who had been playing for Simeone last season and racked up 260 games for Malaga.

You might be right about ruddock. Did Pedro not do it again the next season first game away to Leicester? I'm sure I remember watching it in kavos. You're right we definitely started the first season up against Spurs. Coventry then Man Utd after that?

My memory is improving.  He did do his cheek in again in the opening day win at Leicester in our second season.  After scoring too.

Still out for tomorrow apparently.  I'm not sure how many games he's missed with it (3 or 4 at least I think) but as quiff pointed out, he didn't have a preseason either and has been away once or twice with Morocco.  So it's not particularly surprising that he's not featured much as yet.  And for some reason Rafa doesn't seem to be as concerned about Dummett as the rest of us are,  I'm certainly not going to write Lazaar off at this stage.

Definitely not writing him off, I think he's a really exciting player and I'm not so arrogant as to think I know better than Rafa, but I do wonder why he's not featured more than a 6 minute substitute appearance at home to Brentford.

He's been injured and he signed without having a preseason with us. Given how well drilled we are it's no surprise at all that he hasn't been thrown in at the deep end.

As above, not expecting him to start games away to Villa, but less than ten minutes when there've been a few games we've completely bossed, is significant for me.

My lass is being unreasonable, she used to go out with Simon Tweddle at school and he's now the Senior Fitness Coach at Newcastle, and she won't get back in touch with him to clear up who's injured, unfit etc.