President Biden

Happy Face

Literally no one wants that.

Perhaps a more striking announcment from Trump today is his plan to withdraw from TPP in the first 100 days and promises to bring coal and steel jobs back to America - rhetoric becoming a reality. But how far will he go? no mention of the wall or the Muslim shut down, I see.

This is the Guardian analysis of that Tweet as a foreign policy issue. Over the top?

1 - Trump has at a stroke undermined the authority of Britain’s current ambassador to Washington, Sir Kim Darroch. Effectively he has issued a public statement of no confidence in him. This would be relatively unusual if he were dealing with the ambassador from a hostile country, but it is an extraordinary thing to do to the ambassador of an ally.

2 - Trump has orchestrated his first public disagreement with Theresa May. It is hard to imagine he expected her to take his advice, but he has put her in the position where she has had to reject his proposal. Hardly the special relationship.

3 - He has given a huge boost in status to a leading figure in a UK opposition party - again, an unfriendly move to May.

4 - He has confirmed that any hopes of him operating as a “normal” president seem misguided. Perhaps it was just a joke. But, if so, that probably makes it all worse.

Aye that sounds right. I think he needs to quit Twitter to be honest.

Would be funny if we turned it into an international incident :lol: That said, it appears that we're going to have to treat him like an overgrown toddler...

It does point at what's to come. We've got a maverick US president - a straight shooting loose cannon etc etc who tells it like it is, usually via Twitter.

Expect the unexpected basically. He is throwing out the diplomatic rule book - that much is clear.

It does point at what's to come. We've got a maverick US president - a straight shooting loose cannon etc etc who tells it like it is, usually via Twitter.

Expect the unexpected basically. He is throwing out the diplomatic rule book - that much is clear.

As a silver lining, I hope this is all very unpleasant for May.

I doubt he thought it through much. I'd say it was probably done for a bit of a giggle and to see what reaction we'd get. Exactly what we want to see from the 'leader of the free world'.

I reckon it's more like this: Farage doesn't want the role but he does want a lucrative role in negotiating a new trade deal with the US. Farage says the ambassador's job isn't for him but that it demonstrates the close relationship he has with the president elect. Our politicians need to stop living in a bubble and work in the way in which big business works in the real world. That would be to use a man who already has the ear of the new president in order to get a cracking new deal for the UK, etc., et-fucking-cetera

Wish this was all just a reality show.

I actually enjoy all this stuff from Trump, find it entertaining. Would be telling all my friends about this great new show. And he's an interesting character to listen to. I wonder how many people voted just because they think he's funny?

Still hasn't really clicked that this is all for realsies.

I reckon it's more like this: Farage doesn't want the role but he does want a lucrative role in negotiating a new trade deal with the US. Farage says the ambassador's job isn't for him but that it demonstrates the close relationship he has with the president elect. Our politicians need to stop living in a bubble and work in the way in which big business works in the real world. That would be to use a man who already has the ear of the new president in order to get a cracking new deal for the UK, etc., et-fucking-cetera

Oh god...

That sounds plausible.

• Andrew changed the title to President Biden