President Biden

Happy Face

He believes other countries are setting unfair conditions, when he has the power renegotiate the deal internally. Add his bizarre thought pattern that the Chinese invented the concept of global warming to make the U.S. manufacturing non-competitive.

He also said that all the other countries were laughing at the US when they signed the accord, but they won't be laughing now.

He's fucking nuts, how the fuck did he end up POTUS? (rhetorical question Rayvin)

How many lives has he ruined in such a short time. 

Also how the fuck can he do this under executive  powers?

Environmental issues were always where he was going to be most dangerous. We have to look to the EU and China now.

Edited by Rayvin

7 hours ago, Renton said:

He also said that all the other countries were laughing at the US when they signed the accord, but they won't be laughing now.

He's fucking nuts, how the fuck did he end up POTUS? (rhetorical question Rayvin)

How many lives has he ruined in such a short time. 

Also how the fuck can he do this under executive  powers?

I don't believe that he can do it that easily. If he wishes to withdraw from the Paris accord then the earliest he can do so is 2020. Alternatively he can withdraw from the UNFCCC altogether but that would probably require an act of congress.

Saying that, he could just instruct federal agencies to ignore the accord with no potential repercussions.

Edited by ewerk

Strange that all the environmentalists are now going on like the Paris accord is the agreement that assured the future of the planet and Trump alone is killing the human race.

Before trump turned his back on it the agreement was viewed as completely insufficient and didn't commit anyone to what paltry targets were agreed as something nice to aim for in theory.

Nice to see all these leaders now committed to saving the planet though, maybe they will extend their commitments into enforceable and more ambitious ones that might actually have made a difference if implemented 20 years ago.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Happy Face said:

Strange that all the environmentalists are now going on like the Paris accord is the agreement that assured the future of the planet and Trump alone is killing they planet.

Before trump turned his back on it the agreement was viewed as completely insufficient and didn't commit anyone to what paltry targets were agreed as something nice to aim for in theory.

Nice to see all these leaders now committed to saving the planet though, maybe they will extend their commitments into enforceable and more ambitious ones that might actually have made a difference if implemented 20 years ago.

Doing something is better than nothing. The agreement, signed by every nation other than Nicaragua and Syria, is pragmatic and aims to mitigate against the worst if the effects.

Odd that you choose to criticise the accord rather than the science denier who had stuck his middle finger up at multilateral solutions to global problems. Well, not odd really. HF loves a bit of contrariness.  

1 minute ago, Renton said:

Doing something is better than nothing. The agreement, signed by every nation other than Nicaragua and Syria, is pragmatic and aims to mitigate against the worst if the effects.

Odd that you choose to criticise the accord rather than the science denier who had stuck his middle finger up at multilateral solutions to global problems. Well, not odd really. HF loves a bit of contrariness.  

Nicaragua shouldn't be lumped into that group given they rejected it for not being radical enough, and are working to their own agenda on tackling the issue with commitments far in excess of what Paris would have held them to. They're going to be running on 90% renewables by 2020.

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

Nicaragua shouldn't be lumped into that group given they rejected it for not being radical enough, and are working to their own agenda on tackling the issue with commitments far in excess of what Paris would have held them to. They're going to be running on 90% renewables by 2020.

Okay. Take them out then. That leaves the US and Syria as the only non signatories.

Perfectly reasonable. 

Syria is on its knees as well, it's actually understandable why this isn't a priority for them. Frankly, the US is out on its own in my eyes. Utterly disgraceful action to take.

Basically agree with your point though, the Accord was better than nothing.

51 minutes ago, Renton said:

It's contrary to be consistent in criticising the accord that everyone from UNEP to Greenpeace had issues with?

"The deal sets out the objective of limiting temperature rises to 1.5 degrees, but the emissions targets on the table take us closer to 3 degrees. That’s a critical problem."

If 99% of criticism is pointing at Trump today, from everyone but lunatics, I don't see any point in adding to that chorus, though I agree with it 100%.

I've not seen anyone point to the contradiction of those insisting on the need for effective climate action while not imposing any targets that could be effective at reducing warming one bit.  Increasing warming by double the stated objective (if targets were hit) that would minimise catastrophe remains a politically expedient agreed objective, but harmful 'solution'.

The latter point does not negate the former but is worth making lest people get the impression that agreements the US walk away from would save the planet.

17 minutes ago, Happy Face said:

It's contrary to be consistent in criticising the accord that everyone from UNEP to Greenpeace had issues with?

"The deal sets out the objective of limiting temperature rises to 1.5 degrees, but the emissions targets on the table take us closer to 3 degrees. That’s a critical problem."

If 99% of criticism is pointing at Trump today, from everyone but lunatics, I don't see any point in adding to that chorus, though I agree with it 100%.

I've not seen anyone point to the contradiction of those insisting on the need for effective climate action while not imposing any targets that could be effective at reducing warming one bit.  Increasing warming by double the stated objective (if targets were hit) that would minimise catastrophe remains a politically expedient agreed objective, but harmful 'solution'.

The latter point does not negate the former but is worth making lest people get the impression that agreements the US walk away from would save the planet.

Are we agreed that the only solution has to be multilateral and that such multilateral agreement is incredibly hard to implement? The problem with Trump is rejection of the former and the problem with you and Greenpeace is lack of recognition of the latter.

A 3C rise will be very bad, but preferable to a 6C one. Maybe it can buy us time while we work on reversing the damage. Your post just smacks of contrariness to me. 

19 hours ago, Renton said:

Are we agreed that the only solution has to be multilateral and that such multilateral agreement is incredibly hard to implement? The problem with Trump is rejection of the former and the problem with you and Greenpeace is lack of recognition of the latter.

A 3C rise will be very bad, but preferable to a 6C one. Maybe it can buy us time while we work on reversing the damage. Your post just smacks of contrariness to me. 

Totally agree. I don't reject that it's difficult. I'm concerned that politicians are using Trump's idiocy to oversimplify it and boost their own environmental bona fides with the electorate.

Theresa May for example, quietly proceeding with multiple fracking sites around the UK while condemning Trump.

5 minutes ago, Happy Face said:

Totally agree. I don't reject that it's difficult. I'm concerned that politicians are using Trump's idiocy to oversimplify it and boost their own environmental bona fides with the electorate.

Theresa May for example, quietly proceeding with multiple fracking sites around the UK while condemning Trump.

Fair point. Although May just barely condemned Trump.

43 minutes ago, Happy Face said:

You're too cynical imo. In this instance, Trump isn't being condemned for being Trump, he's being condemned for pulling out the Accord, it's that simple. The response has been fairly diplomatic compared to his almost literal middle finger up. 

• Andrew changed the title to President Biden