President Biden

Happy Face

5 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Fuck that. Seriously.

The yanks can just fuck off.

...is what we could say were we part of a trading bloc with more financial clout than the US.

And China will be even worse. I'd just like some leaver, any leaver, to tell me how leaving the EU makes sense in terms of trade. Look at this article for instance:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-02/trump-trade-wars-tweet-awkward-for-may-outlining-brexit-vision

This trade stuff is fucking bonkers innit. I know he campaigned on it but to see him actually follow through still seems surreal. The last time the yanks initiated a trade war it all worked out so brilliantly, I’m sure there’s absolutely nothing to worry about.

14 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

This trade stuff is fucking bonkers innit. I know he campaigned on it but to see him actually follow through still seems surreal. The last time the yanks initiated a trade war it all worked out so brilliantly, I’m sure there’s absolutely nothing to worry about.

I really have little interest in Trump or American politics (other than West Wing / HOC), but isn’t he simply sticking tarrifs on imported steel to counter the Chinese dumping.

59 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

I really have little interest in Trump or American politics (other than West Wing / HOC), but isn’t he simply sticking tarrifs on imported steel to counter the Chinese dumping.

it isn't clear yet whether europe are in trump's crosshair too but the eu is already said to be readying counter measures, as is china. it's bonkers, it might protect some jobs, but american consumers are goign to get fed up quite quickly with rising costs that these policies create. and the last time the us instigated a trade war, it led to the great depression and a world war, so there's that to look forward to as well. 

He'll be thinking it will push job creation on the home front though - which it will. And that's what wins votes I guess.

The rest of the world can probably continue to trade without them fairly easily though, so it may be that the worst of it falls on the US. And probably the UK, thanks to fucking Brexit.

8 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

He'll be thinking it will push job creation on the home front though - which it will. And that's what wins votes I guess.

The rest of the world can probably continue to trade without them fairly easily though, so it may be that the worst of it falls on the US. And probably the UK, thanks to fucking Brexit.

The US cannot make any more steel than it does, it won't create jobs because the imported goods America needs to make it's own steel are being hit with tariffs too. All this is going to do is push up prices for those companies making things from steel i.e. heavy plant manufacturers and make them worse off. It will in fact more than likely cost far more jobs than it creates.

15 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

it isn't clear yet whether europe are in trump's crosshair too but the eu is already said to be readying counter measures, as is china. it's bonkers, it might protect some jobs, but american consumers are goign to get fed up quite quickly with rising costs that these policies create. and the last time the us instigated a trade war, it led to the great depression and a world war, so there's that to look forward to as well. 

But he’s putting a 25% tarrif on imported steel and we put a 74% tarrif on imported steel. So why is everyone losing their shit with him and not us/eu?

Genuine question btw. For once I’m clueless.

6 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

The US cannot make any more steel than it does, it won't create jobs because the imported goods America needs to make it's own steel are being hit with tariffs too. All this is going to do is push up prices for those companies making things from steel i.e. heavy plant manufacturers and make them worse off. It will in fact more than likely cost far more jobs than it creates.

Right but if other countries start reciprocal measures, I suspect it will spill into other industries as well. I just think that isolationism is his goal, and to do that, you need a degree of self sufficiency that they probably don't have at the moment. This self sufficiency creates jobs, even if they lose out in many other senses.

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Right but if other countries start reciprocal measures, I suspect it will spill into other industries as well. I just think that isolationism is his goal, and to do that, you need a degree of self sufficiency that they probably don't have at the moment. This self sufficiency creates jobs, even if they lose out in many other senses.

Self sufficiency never works

Agreed, but if it creates jobs he'll be crowing about it going into the next election cycle - and he could be short termist enough for that to be sufficient.

Edited by Rayvin

Whether it creates jobs or not depends entirely on how it is done. Either way though, job creation is the most significant thing he can offer to buy votes at this point. And if he stands there and claims he has protected US industries then a trade war and isolationism are compelling arguments at face value.

43 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

But he’s putting a 25% tarrif on imported steel and we put a 74% tarrif on imported steel. So why is everyone losing their shit with him and not us/eu?

Genuine question btw. For once I’m clueless.

for once :lol:

put simply, the yanks have long been the world's biggest economy, pioneers of free trade and spend more than they produce.

trump reckons it's unfair. he thinks the trade deals the americans struck led to production moving overseas and that's hindering economic growth in the us. but economic consensus suggests otherwise. foreign trade barriers don't help them, but trade imbalances are affected by a lot more than just the goods and services that are exchanged in each direction - you've also got to consider individual countries' currency value and their grwoth rates., how much businesses and households invest and save etc etc

even if, as an american, you think the trade gap should be reduced, imposing tariffs hasn't been an effective way to fix the problem over the years - trade deficits can widen during trade wars. a trade war could massively affect job creation and the cost of living in the US. i'm most concerned by trump's trade move leading to the rise of global protectionism - it could have massive implications for the global economy. i'm no economist either but it seems like an incredibly high risk strategy. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ewerk said:

He’s accepted an invitation to meet Kim  Jong-Un. I’d be amazed if it happens and even more amazed if he returns alive.

Where are they meeting, and which one isn't coming back?

• Andrew changed the title to President Biden