President Biden

Happy Face

51 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Largely agree with this 

And let’s face it, what the US gets usually arrives in the UK about 10 minutes later......

Not entirely, being a member of the EU has stopped us getting a lot of what of what the US does.

Oh.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Largely agree with this 

And let’s face it, what the US gets usually arrives in the UK about 10 minutes later......

Mate, there's a part of the UK that has been denying women's and LGBT rights for fucking decades.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

Mate, there's a part of the UK that has been denying women's and LGBT rights for fucking decades.

Difference between denying it and actually rolling back the rights I guess. But aye, it's shit.

But no one in the rest of the UK cares. No right to female healthcare? Meh. Homosexuals not given equal rights? Who cares. Armed forces murdering UK citizens? Let's ignore that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ewerk said:

But no one in the rest of the UK cares. No right to female healthcare? Meh. Homosexuals not given equal rights? Who cares. Armed forces murdering UK citizens? Let's ignore that.

Most are oblivious and/or don't give a shit, true. Not everyone though. In my case I met loads of NI lads at Liverpool university, all really canny (even the prods). This was late 80s early 90s. Quite an eye opener for me, and partly why i hate English nationalism so much.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I take it that it’s naive to think Lyra McKee’s murder could be the start of at least some of the more sentient of that community to stop voting for the cretins who want to keep these laws in place? 

No. Nothing will change.

In reality most unionists couldn’t give a fiddler’s fuck about abortion or gay marriage. Like the rest of us it isn’t a big issue in day to day life. But the political parties have made them wedge issues whereby they can define ‘us’ and ‘them’.

But in a modern democracy we should have a U.K. government that goes over their heads and implements basic civil rights to the country as a whole. The problem is that there are no votes in doing so when it comes to Westminster elections as none of the national parties field candidates here.

It’s why I have huge respect for Tony Blair and New Labour as they actually took an interest and decisive action regarding what was going on here despite there being no tangible benefits in them doing so. And it has made all our lives over here so much better.

I’ve learned to accept that 99% of GB doesn’t care about us but the recent goings on with historical investigations into murders by the security forces has really brought into focus about how we’re seen as second class citizens and has pushed me further than I ever have been to wanting a united Ireland. And of course those shouting the loudest against such investigations will be the biggest supporters of the union.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

As you’ve said, there’s not an x on any mainland ballot paper that will remove the British state from NI. So it’s not really on me. I was referring to emirgration. 

I happen to love where I live and the people there. It isn't as easy as upping sticks and moving elsewhere. It's about demanding equal rights across what is supposed to be one country. And now I've said my piece on a Newcastle United messageboard I think I've done my bit.

On 1/16/2010 at 16:16, ewerk said:

I'm not anti-British, I don't sing God Save the Queen but I'm in favour of the Union and have no problem in saying that for the most part, the UK is a great nation.

How young and naive I was. ;) 

• Haha 3

49 minutes ago, ewerk said:

How young and naive I was. ;) 

Brexit has been a depressing eye opener for most of us. A third of the electorate are about to vote for Farage. Let that sink in. This idea that we are some kind of tolerant progressive people has been blown wide open. We're no better than Germans really. ;)

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

No. Nothing will change.

In reality most unionists couldn’t give a fiddler’s fuck about abortion or gay marriage. Like the rest of us it isn’t a big issue in day to day life. But the political parties have made them wedge issues whereby they can define ‘us’ and ‘them’.

But in a modern democracy we should have a U.K. government that goes over their heads and implements basic civil rights to the country as a whole. The problem is that there are no votes in doing so when it comes to Westminster elections as none of the national parties field candidates here.

It’s why I have huge respect for Tony Blair and New Labour as they actually took an interest and decisive action regarding what was going on here despite there being no tangible benefits in them doing so. And it has made all our lives over here so much better.

I’ve learned to accept that 99% of GB doesn’t care about us but the recent goings on with historical investigations into murders by the security forces has really brought into focus about how we’re seen as second class citizens and has pushed me further than I ever have been to wanting a united Ireland. And of course those shouting the loudest against such investigations will be the biggest supporters of the union.

Well fucking said.

• Andrew changed the title to President Biden