President Biden

Happy Face

I still think he's going to sail through this.

As for the left wingers not supporting Biden, I can see their rationale. The Democrat party consistently takes their votes for granted. It's not the same as Labour in the UK because Blair's Labour was in actual fact left wing, albeit centre left for us. So the quibbling within Labour is less pronounced.

The democrats are politically right wing by our standards but a lot of young Americans are left wing by our standards too. I can completely see why they would look at Trump and Biden and conclude that while Biden might be a little bit better, kicking the democratic party in the nuts, again, is worth having Donald Trump in power again. And you can consider them stupid all you want, but if they support people like Clinton and Biden they'll never get what they want. If they dig their heels in, someone might have to actually work for their votes.

One positive lesson they can take from the Corbyn experience over here is that Labour actually has to listen to the proper left in the party now. Starmer went out of his way to hold up their principles and policies, he had to acknowledge them.

So far the Democrats have failed to do this on their side, and maybe they simply never will. Sadly, I think that probably means neither they or the left are going to win. Or more likely, there's going to be a grassroots takeover of the party in a few years same as with Labour. The signs are all there already.

Maybe Biden/Covid/Economic calamity will come together in a perfect storm of urgency to rally the young left wing voters and save the day, but I'm not sure I can see it.

Edited by Rayvin

If you let Trump get a second term because of your left wing (or any other type of misguided) principles, I'm not calling you "stupid", I'm calling you a fucking pathetic martyr cunt. 

The question these fucking bellwhiffs (assuming they exist) need to ask themselves is, on balance, what will come closer to delivering a fairer society for those less fortunate. I'm not saying what will DELIVER it, I'm saying what will be least damaging to them. The answer isn't Trump. So if you let him get back in because you're so very principled, then you can top yourself as far as I'm concerned. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Rayvin said:

EDIT - you're completely right and I have to stop having an opinion on here about this :lol:

You are always entitled to have an opinion on here - unless it is wrong, of course :razz:

8 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

You are always entitled to have an opinion on here - unless it is wrong, of course :razz:

It's genuinely not worth it on some issues man, for the sake of my sanity I'm better off keeping quiet ;)

The right decision from Sanders, he clearly wasn't going to win.

Well, now we get to see how Trump is going to handle it. Let's hope Biden can really start to hurt him.

Those videos of Biden touching visibly uncomfortable children are going to be in a campaign ad from Trump, I'm sure of it.

"Who would you trust with your children?"

At least we get to see if the centre's collapse really was an anomaly.

29 minutes ago, NJS said:

Well Biden's main platform is "return to normal" - that's well fucked now. 

He has one advantage over Clinton IMO, and that's the fact that Trump has actually been in power. Removing Trump is significant, maybe he just needs to build everything around that one point.

I still don't know if it'll be enough but honestly, I hope it is. I don't think Biden is going to fix very much at all for the Americans, but that's their problem and not mine. He's better for the rest of us than Trump is.

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

Those videos of Biden touching visibly uncomfortable children are going to be in a campaign ad from Trump, I'm sure of it.

"Who would you trust with your children?"

At least we get to see if the centre's collapse really was an anomaly.

The answer to which would presumably be “ not a close friend of Epstein who lusts after his own daughter?”

• Like 1

I can see them not voting, but i can't see them voting Trump.

I checked last night and there is scant evidence that Bernie's supporters in any way killed Hillary's campaign. Don't know why it would be any different this time.

Well people like Susan Sarandon telling people to vote for the green candidate meant their vote was significant in a few states - maybe not enough to change the result but when you consider 77k votes in crucial states actually did decide the result then I wouldnt be surprised if dem non-voters were the deciding factor. 

• Like 1

I mean, you never know but this piece of research seems to conclude that it wasn't at all significant.

http://centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/did-bernie-sanders-cost-hillary-clinton-the-presidency/

A key bit from it for me is that a higher proportion of Sanders voters backed Clinton than Clinton supporters backed Obama in 2008. Suggests that if there was a cluster of voters who moved away from her, it was within normal alignments.

Edited by Rayvin

• Andrew changed the title to President Biden