President Biden

Happy Face

Yeah but thats maybe where congress comes into it and tells him no, not for just some minor damage to US bases. At which point he's basically pulled off the age old "guy trying to fight and being held back by his mates" move but on an international political level :lol:

I think that'll work for him domestically. He'll gain a lot of strongman political capital from it.

I'm not sure there's much Congress can do to stop him. He needs them in order to declare war but that doesn't stop him ordering strikes that escalate things so much that war is inevitable.

God this is so depressing. Some stupid mentally ill cunt in his 70s making all the decisions while the missiles fly. Probably some silly old Iranian cunt doing the same on the other side. 

I wish 80% of the human race would just drop dead so we could start again. I'm happy to be in the 80% although the 20% would need to work out how to reinvent sexy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Im not sure Trump is going to do anything. In fact I expect that Iran might actually have given them advance notice and that this was purely for domestic consumption as a way out. It's such a worthless assault that I have a hard time believing that it wasn't intentionally ineffective.

Impossible to be sure with him but even if he does retaliate, I doubt the Iranians intend to do even half the things they claimed.

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

God this is so depressing. Some stupid mentally ill cunt in his 70s making all the decisions while the missiles fly. Probably some silly old Iranian cunt doing the same on the other side. 

I wish 80% of the human race would just drop dead so we could start again. I'm happy to be in the 80% although the 20% would need to work out how to reinvent sexy. 

Yeah but Hillary was a war monger and trump is a non interventionist, remember 

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

Yeah but Hillary was a war monger and trump is a non interventionist, remember 

If he doesn't attack, I think he can still claim this. Killing one guy and successfully calculating that the other country doesn't have the balls to really hit back is a powerful play. I actually doubt Clinton would have done it.

Iran are definitely hoping that's the end of it now. Messages coming from their state news channel almost sound like pleading.

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

He’s off his tits. It wouldn’t surprise me if he executive ordered a strike on Iranian cultural sites in response - he’s threatened as much. 

He backed down on that yesterday. Said something about being advised it was against the law, said "they can kill Americans but we can't hit their cultural sites, that's the law. That's ok, I will follow the law".

This is a million miles away from a masterstroke by Trump. I guarantee there is absolute panic in the White House and a team of people devoted to trying to control the twat. If this all ends as you think it will Rayvin, it will be because he's been incredibly lucky that his counterpart in Iran isn't as mentally ill as he is - think about that btw, the bloke in the White House is more off his tits than the bloke in the middle east.

You're as daft as he is if you think that this hasn't taken a massive effort in the White House to pull the whole world back from the ledge. 

4 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

This is a million miles away from a masterstroke by Trump. I guarantee there is absolute panic in the White House and a team of people devoted to trying to control the twat. If this all ends as you think it will Rayvin, it will be because he's been incredibly lucky that his counterpart in Iran isn't as mentally ill as he is - think about that btw, the bloke in the White House is more off his tits than the bloke in the middle east.

You're as daft as he is if you think that this hasn't taken a massive effort in the White House to pull the whole world back from the ledge. 

How will the white house have achieved that, exactly? You think they asked Iran to fire a useless broadside against US assets so that everyone could step back? It's possible but it would be high treason, you would think.

It's possible he's lucky indeed

But it's also possible that for all everyone goes on about having the might to stand up to the US, they are literally in a class of their own in military terms, and not even Iran is prepared to go toe to toe with them. That's exactly how it looks to me.

I think they believe Trump is a loose enough cannon to actually make good on his threats. And I think they've reasoned that he has to do a lot more than kill one guy to be worth the risk of the US flattening them. Whether Trump knew this or not, plenty in the white house will have. And they will be emboldened by it.

I'm not talking about the Iranian response. I'm talking about the control being exerted subsequent to his initial decision (which by all accounts was opposed by anyone with any sense) to proceed with the assassination. 

Pity they didn't have the power to take control prior to that. Honestly, I think Trump just rubber stamped it. It's come off so well for the US (assuming it remains as it is) that I genuinely suspect the deep state (/Parky) or whatever other factions in the US get involved in such things more or less put it in front of him and told him that it'd be a vote winner with very limited repercussions.

I genuinely don't believe Trump has just assassinated someone, without incident, all on his own accord.

14 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I dunno what you're reading that is telling you how well this has all worked out for the US. 

I'm not reading anything, I'm just looking at the situation. Trump has managed the following:

- Eliminate fairly powerful and problematic anti US individual.

- Make the US look powerful and prepared to act on the world stage.

- Look strong at home for his core vote, while conjuring an enemy for everyone to be vaguely afraid of in the run up to an election.

- Also look like the responsible adult in the room if he takes it no further.

- Has suffered absolutely minimal repercussions in terms of damage caused by the response.

What has it cost them?

- US allies around the globe alarmed initially, but if it settles down from here it will change to modest approval.

- Some damage to their military bases in Iraq.

- ...?

I thought it was a moronic decision when it looked like it would lead to war, but since it hasn't, I have to hold my hands up and say that it does appear to be a fairly well calculated move. I'm very happy to hear some alternative view on it, I'm not falling over myself trying to find a Trump win here because we need the daft bastard to go asap, but this really feels like a Trump win. He punched Iran square in the face and all they've managed to muster is a bit of a tantrum. It's depressing, but I'm struggling to see it any other way.

Edited by Rayvin

Well Iran are refusing to hand over the black box from the Ukrainian plane that came down. Speculation is that they've shot it down after assuming it was incoming military aircraft. 

Looking a lot less like a Trump masterstroke by the second... 

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

Well Iran are refusing to hand over the black box from the Ukrainian plane that came down. Speculation is that they've shot it down after assuming it was incoming military aircraft. 

Looking a lot less like a Trump masterstroke by the second... 

On the other hand, Iraq has just revealed that Iran gave them advance notice of the strike, which was passed on to the US. Which is something i suggested about a page back.

It's looking more like theatre by the minute IMO.

But yes, I suspect they shot it down. Was also interested about that earthquake near one of their nuclear facilities.

Edited by Rayvin

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

175 dead on the Ukraine flight. What wonderful theatre. 

I feel like we're arguing two different things now. Morally, this entire thing is reprehensible and the US are at least as bad as Soleimani ever was. The plane crash is a tragedy and the whole affair is a pathetic display.

But politically, for Trump and even the US, this looks like a win. He won't care about that plane, it doesn't hurt him. If anything it just makes the Iranians look worse.

Edited by Rayvin

• Andrew changed the title to President Biden