President Biden

Happy Face

I think they have accepted this, hence the pleas. They're worried, I suspect, about the hit to their circulation they would take if they paywalled their website. They're a popular site at the moment because they're free and have an active comment section. The latter will go when the paywall comes up.

When the time comes for them to do it, I think I'll simply stick to the Economist. If I'm going to be paying for Neoliberalism, I may as well cut out the middleman (and the identity politics).

the guardian are haemorrhaging money. their business model is finished, and no amount of begging bowls at the bottom of their articles is going to fix that.

they should accept that they're not a nimble new media group and do what other quality old media have done and introduce a subscription fee. people will pay for quality journalism

The stuff about his hands reminds me of Jack Kelly in Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

a first for a presidential debate. discussion over the size of one of the candidate's peckers

I read a comment in the Guardian that suggested that it was impossible Le Pen would win given how their system works. She has enough to get to the final round of voting but that'd be it.

i fucking hope not. but you have to say that, unlike in america, this is one country with a recent history that should significantly influence voters on areas like immigration and terrorism. a move to to the populist right in france wouldn't surprise me as much as trump winning the us election did.

the guardian are haemorrhaging money. their business model is finished, and no amount of begging bowls at the bottom of their articles is going to fix that.

they should accept that they're not a nimble new media group and do what other quality old media have done and introduce a subscription fee. people will pay for quality journalism

Such an approach limits their impact though. If they just wanted to put journalism out there you'd be right, but they have an agenda to spread - they need visibility for that.

i fucking hope not. but you have to say that, unlike in america, this is one country with a recent history that should significantly influence voters on areas like immigration and terrorism. a move to to the populist right in france wouldn't surprise me as much as trump winning the us election did.

True. Could be interesting. Sarko just lost on an immigration ticket though, so maybe it isn't the main issue for them.

I thought, O.K., let’s give them the benefit of the doubt. After the meeting today, though—and I am being human with you here—I think, Fuck him! I know I am being emotional about it. And I know I will get over it in a couple of days after Thanksgiving. But I really am offended. This was unprecedented. Outrageous!”

:lol:

The only TV anchor I remember getting this animated about IRAQ was Olberman and he got ousted.  Now these delicate flowers are going to change the standard of their coverage not because they should hold leaders to account as journalists, but because he was nasty to them personally.

Getting over it in a couple of days, and I assume returning to 'benefit f the doubt', is the icing on the cake.  Regardless of their feelings towards him, they will only strongly criticise him anonymously, for fear of losing their access/job.

Mr Trump's top adviser, Kellyanne Conway, told MSNBC he would not pursue an investigation into Hillary Clinton's private email server as he wanted to help his defeated Democratic rival "heal"

:lol: Massive climb down on perhaps his clearest promise, he was going to have a special prosecutor to look into her 'situation' wasn't he? The lock her up bunch will be fuming.

Edited by Howay

“But he truly doesn’t seem to understand the First Amendment,” the source continued. “He doesn’t. He thinks we are supposed to say what he says and that’s it.”

Anyone got that 2006 Colbert White House Correspondents dinner clip for them.  This isn't an unreasonable expectation from Trump.  This has been the tacitly agreed approach with consecutive presidents.

Mr Trump's top adviser, Kellyanne Conway, told MSNBC he would not pursue an investigation into Hillary Clinton's private email server as he wanted to help his defeated Democratic rival "heal"

:lol: :lol:

Fucking hell.

:lol: Massive climb down on perhaps his clearest promise, he was going to have a special prosecutor to look into her 'situation' wasn't he? The lock her up bunch will be fuming.

Exactly the same as Obama who promised officials who engaged in torture would not be above the law and that he would protect whistleblowers.

Trump supporters will only be as disappointed as Obama's, who as far as I can tell think he's been the best President of their lifetime.

The only TV anchor I remember getting this animated about IRAQ was Olberman and he got ousted.  Now these delicate flowers are going to change the standard of their coverage not because they should hold leaders to account as journalists, but because he was nasty to them personally.

Getting over it in a couple of days, and I assume returning to 'benefit f the doubt', is the icing on the cake.  Regardless of their feelings towards him, they will only strongly criticise him anonymously, for fear of losing their access/job.

I really don't get what you're worried about? As I said, the election is over. There's nothing wrong with drawing a line under it and moving on but it appears that Trump doesn't want to. Giving unbiased reporting a chance is a bad thing?

I really don't get what you're worried about? As I said, the election is over. There's nothing wrong with drawing a line under it and moving on but it appears that Trump doesn't want to. Giving unbiased reporting a chance is a bad thing?

Reporting on Trump will be as sycophantic as it has been to Bush and Obama.

Drawing a line under what has gone before is just a way of making the transition to becoming Trump USG propaganda wings.

Why would any journalist looking at Trump want to disregard that he brags about sexual assault and remains unapologetic?

For the same reason they did for Berlusconi.  He spent the best part of 15 year in power.

Reporting on Trump will be a sycophantic as it has been to Bush and Obama.

Drawing a line under what has gone before is just a way of making the transition to becoming Trump USG propaganda wings.

Why would any journalist looking at Trump want to disregard that he brags about sexual assault and remains unapologetic?

For the same reason they did for Berlusconi.  He spent the best part of 15 year in power.

Do you really think that's what'll happen? It'll totally challenge my view of what the establishment is if so; which would be really interesting tbf. We'll see I guess.

Because that is his private life that has been well discussed previously. Judging him on how he behaves in office seems fair enough to me. I really don't think that the coverage would have been 'sycophantic' but in USA the office does come with a certain level of respect towards the holder. It doesn't mean that the media can't/won't hold him to account.

Do you really think that's what'll happen? It'll totally challenge my view of what the establishment is if so; which would be really interesting tbf. We'll see I guess.

We've seen it happen before, to idiots, movie stars and daddy's made men in the past.  Reagan and Bush were no more serious minded than Trump.  

They may have had stronger handlers than Trump though.  There's a small chance that if Trump were to appoint outsiders in all the key roles then the establishment might turn, but it doesn't look at all like that will happen.  As someone posted in the election thread, all his appointments have decades long records in Washington.

We've seen it happen before, to idiots, movie stars and daddy's made men in the bast.  Reagan and Bush were no more serious minded than Trump.  

They may have had stronger handlers than Trump though.  There's a small chance that if Trump were to appoint outsiders in all the key roles then the establishment might turn, but it doesn't look at all like that will happen.  As someone posted in the election thread, all his appointments have decades long records in Washington.

Except Bannon. But otherwise yes, I can see where you're coming from more clearly now.

• Andrew changed the title to President Biden