President Biden

Happy Face

I don't think they need to redouble their efforts to do so. All they have to do is wait for Trump to fuck up, which he will inevitably do and hammer him for it then. As Rayvin says, if they continue reporting on what has gone on in the past then the public tend not to pay attention to new stories uncovered as they see it as part of an ongoing campaign. Though I don't think there's too many reading HuffPo that need convincing that Trump is a bit of a wrong un.

That's just one example.

Trump wasn't going to be allowed into the UK...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/donald-trump/12074314/Government-may-exclude-Donald-Trump-after-565000-sign-petition-calling-for-UK-entry-ban.html

and now we're rushing to organise a state visit

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38051579

Obviously that's the state making politically expedient claims and contradictory decisions.  Embarrassing for them but a necessity.  Job of the press is to hammer them for it, not sit back and wonder what he'll say when he comes.

It allows the office he holds to bestow a respectability on Trump that he doesn't deserve.  if the press allow that then discourse on vile ideas is harmed.

You can't hammer the government/Foreign Office for inviting the president of the USA to visit. Like it or not they will have to work with him. Even moreso than ever with Brexit on the horizon.

I have no doubt that the media will do a fair job of scrutinising him. They did their best before the election and I see no real evidence that they won't do so when he's in office.

HF has turned on Trump. The change of tune by TT's lead political analyst has sent shock waves through the Trump camp a NY insider said today. 'Trump has plans for people who are too tall" another source claimed....More as we get it. :)

After bashing Obama on the entirety of his term and lambasting HillaryBillary and the whole DNC for hubris...One wonders who if anyone will ever escape his wrath.

Edited by Park Life

HF has turned on Trump. The change of tune by TT's lead political analyst has sent shock waves through the Trump camp a NY insider said today. 'Trump has plans for people who are too tall" another source claimed....More as we get it. :)

After bashing Obama on the entirety of his term and lambasting HillaryBillary and the whole DNC for hubris...One wonders who if anyone will ever escape his wrath.

genuine question: are you a fan of trump and are you encouraged about his leadership on what we've seen so far? 

Why would anybody support any of their enslavers? :D

Hang on, I thought the idea was that Trump was a disruptive force in politics, but ultimately one that we didn't really think was going to be a 'good president'? :lol: I can see the advantages of him being where he is, but I'm not looking forward to the next four years :P

Darkest before the dawn and all that.

Why would anybody support any of their enslavers? :D

All that's happened is your fav go to internet sites - Politico, Huff Post etc have backed off and you're angered by their soft peddling of the anti-christ. :lol:

Hang on, I thought the idea was that Trump was a disruptive force in politics, but ultimately one that we didn't really think was going to be a 'good president'? :lol: I can see the advantages of him being where he is, but I'm not looking forward to the next four years :P

Darkest before the dawn and all that.

Based on what?

You could always vote UKIP

You still going on about that? Even after we've seen the establishment and the courts and most of Parliament line up to dismantle Brexit.

Even May is talking 'transition deal' just a few weeks after 'Brexit is Brexit'.

Edited by Park Life

All that's happened is your fav go to internet sites - Politico, Huff Post etc have backed off and you're angered by their soft peddling of the anti-christ. :lol:

I don't read any of those.  i just paste the links from the people in my echo chamber twitter timeline.

Based on what?

Which bit? the bit about him not being good? At the very base level (not taking his actual politics into consideration), he's reneging on certain pre-election promises already by the sounds of it, doesn't have a particularly organised transition team (suggesting he didn't intend or plan to win), doesn't understand diplomacy to any great degree (although I can see that being a plus also) and seems unkeen on the idea of fully committing to the job.

That leads me to think at best that he has no real plan for what to do with the political system he has just disrupted. Therefore, he'll be led by people in the background like Bannon. I'm undecided on Bannon, but it really could go either way with him and essentially renders Trump a puppet. A truly lasting change would be more likely to come about as a result of someone who fervently believes in what he or she has just been elected for, not what we appear to be getting with Trump...

Do you think he looks sincere?

You still going on about that? Even after we've seen the establishment and the courts and most of Parliament line up to dismantle Brexit.

Even May is talking 'transition deal' just a few weeks after 'Brexit is Brexit'.

They're the nearest we have to Trump.

Only a matter of time before we see conciliatory articles in the Gurardian. :case:

The Guardian has about faced a bit in the fall out which is great news. They're really being hammered for identity politics now and it's forcing some actual analysis rather than agenda driven nonsense.

Still though, them getting on board with Trump is something I'm not sure I can imagine in any sort of scenario.

Which bit? the bit about him not being good? At the very base level (not taking his actual politics into consideration), he's reneging on certain pre-election promises already by the sounds of it, doesn't have a particularly organised transition team (suggesting he didn't intend or plan to win), doesn't understand diplomacy to any great degree (although I can see that being a plus also) and seems unkeen on the idea of fully committing to the job.

That leads me to think at best that he has no real plan for what to do with the political system he has just disrupted. Therefore, he'll be led by people in the background like Bannon. I'm undecided on Bannon, but it really could go either way with him and essentially renders Trump a puppet. A truly lasting change would be more likely to come about as a result of someone who fervently believes in what he or she has just been elected for, not what we appear to be getting with Trump...

Do you think he looks sincere?

Do you seriously think he would have gone through all this shit if he wasn't sincere? I agree he is politically naive and likely to be reigned in by the insiders but I never doubted his sincerity.

If the political architecture in the U.S. engages with Trump there is likely to be some kind of balance to his term after the hysteria has settled and 'big politics' takes over.

Edited by Park Life

Agenda driven nonsense? The guardian's political analysis is broadly excellent

I'm referring to their opinion ed sections. Some of what the Guardian pulls together for political commentary is excellent, but much of what they publish or choose not to publish, is often driven by a fixed agenda (intersectional feminism, broadly speaking). I've read so many articles on there devoid of coherent factual analysis that it has become difficult for me to say that they're credible 100% of the time.

When they're exposing political corruption or reporting on news events live, they're pretty strong. Not sure I agree on much else. Although with that said, they have put some far more solid articles out since Trump. It's not all about misogyny and racism after all, it seems. Curious that it was before his election.

Do you seriously think he would have gone through all this shit if he wasn't sincere? I agree he is politically naive and likely to be reigned in by the insiders but I never doubted his sincerity.

If the political architecture in the U.S. engages with Trump there is likely to be some kind of balance to his term after the hysteria has settled and 'big politics' takes over.

Initially I would have agreed with you but I'm genuinely starting to wonder about him. For me, this was all about the message and not the man. The same with Corbyn - considering the individual is not a rational way of assessing what is best for a country - we should be looking at policies and how change can be brought about. Trump has managed to get himself into position with respect of bringing change, but I'm unsure about how effective he will be (and as said, how sincere he is about realising his goals). He needs to be held to account to ensure that he is able to put the people who voted for him in a stronger position.

The media would be right to challenge him on this, surely?

Edited by Rayvin

Initially I would have agreed with you but I'm genuinely starting to wonder about him. For me, this was all about the message and not the man. The same with Corbyn - considering the individual is not a rational way of assessing what is best for a country - we should be looking at policies and how change can be brought about. Trump has managed to get himself into position with respect of bringing change, but I'm unsure about how effective he will be (and as said, how sincere he is about realising his goals). He needs to be held to account to ensure that he is able to put the people who voted for him in a stronger position.

The media would be right to challenge him on this, surely?

We will be better able to get into the specifics after the first 100 days. So far the noises about the trade deals (the one's half of Europe and America have protested about) and better relations with Russia are promising signs that he does intend a reset of sorts.

This will have angered the Globalists and the Military Industrial Complex (the shadow Govt. if you like).

Illegal immigration is something most of America is worried about (bar maybe California).  All afaik he's committed to is deporting those that have committed crimes whilst in America.

My major worry about Trump is that he lacks political finesse which is compounded by a very challenging persona and ego. If he can get out of the way of himself and reach out to both chambers will be the test.

Will the corporate media back off? Depends if he gives their bosses and owners things to worry about. A lot of them have changed their tune just cause the stock market went up... :lol:

Will he do something for the rust belt and the inner city? I think he will.

I'm intrigued to see if he can get the 21 trillion hidden in offshore funds back into the states with some kind of amnesty or investment honeymoon. This is a pretty good idea and I hope he doesn't forget about it.

Is he a nutcase? Yes. But you have to be one to run for President. ;)

Edited by Park Life

We will be better able to get into the specifics after the first 100 days. So far the noises about the trade deals (the one's half of Europe and America have protested about) and better relations with Russia are promising signs that he does intend a reset of sorts.

This will have angered the Globalists and the Military Industrial Complex (the shadow Govt. if you like).

Illegal immigration is something most of America is worried about (bar maybe California).  All afaik he's committed to is deporting those that have committed crimes whilst in America.

My major worry about Trump is that he lacks political finesse which is compounded by a very challenging persona and ego. If he can get out of the way of himself and reach out to both chambers will be the test.

Will the corporate media back off? Depends if he gives their bosses and owners things to worry about. A lot of them have changed their tune just cause the stock market went up... :lol:

Some fair points there and I do agree that we need to give it more time. You're right about him sounding like he'll come through on some things.

Will he do something for the rust belt and the inner city? I think he will.

Back off?  They're already on the leash.  

The notion of actual journalists doing as they're told and trooping along to the king's mansion for a telling off is preposterous.  Would Jeremy Scahill or Jon Pilger?  Would Assange (if he could) or Chris Hedges?

These TV personalities who traipsed along with their employers are no more than court jesters looking for political access to present alongside adverts for lifestyle products they want to sell to their demographic, whether it be "liberal" MSNBC, "centrist" CNN, "conservative" NBC or "Redneck" Fox.

I'm referring to their opinion ed sections. Some of what the Guardian pulls together for political commentary is excellent, but much of what they publish or choose not to publish, is often driven by a fixed agenda (intersectional feminism, broadly speaking). I've read so many articles on there devoid of coherent factual analysis that it has become difficult for me to say that they're credible 100% of the time.

When they're exposing political corruption or reporting on news events live, they're pretty strong. Not sure I agree on much else. Although with that said, they have put some far more solid articles out since Trump. It's not all about misogyny and racism after all, it seems. Curious that it was before his election.

they have a leftie editorial agenda and their op-ed pages will always reflect that. but it's opinion, remember.

don't expect them to stop reporting on trump's racist or sexist comments either. it would be lunacy to stop that just because a sexist xenophobe is in the white house.

• Andrew changed the title to President Biden