President Biden

Happy Face

49 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

That sounds about right - and yes, it has. At the time I saw Trump as a possible pressure release on nationalism. The notion that the right would see how godawful he was and realise that this kind of shit wasn't the answer. Clearly some Americans have indeed seen this given the record numbers of turnout to stop his re-election, but ultimately I can't claim to have been right in any sense, given that record numbers also voted for Trump. What I didn't predict was that fake news would only get worse, and that the polarisation of the two sides would become more important than what they were even fighting about (to the Trumpists at least). I mean, no thinking person should actually be capable of watching a Trump press conference and fully buy into what he's saying. It's so transparently fake that I don't believe it's possible to even be hoodwinked into it.

My fear was that we'd be at a point sort of like this, but after 4 years of Clinton during which time the right would organise and the threat would grow. It's impossible to know for sure but given that Trump clearly isn't the real enemy behind this, I don't think we should imagine that this will all settle down without him. Remember at the time we were seeing populists coming to power all over the place - it's not going to go away because Trump has been defeated.

But on balance, clearly nothing positive has come from him having won versus my alternative scenario, and so we may as well have had 4 years of stability and adult politics. Therefore yes, Clinton would have been a better outcome even with respect of my concerns at the time (and clearly in all the normal ways anyway). I will still argue she was the wrong candidate to choose though, for the Democrats.

i agree with all of that, particularly the bit about clinton - she was preferable to trump but she was the wrong pick at the wrong time.

3 hours ago, Meenzer said:

I'm sorry, I know it's wrong but my brain immediately read that in a "So this is a story all about how..." tone

My first thoughts on seeing it were “if the Auschwitz, wear it”. 

See you in hell 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

Trump banned from Facebook and Instagram indefinitely 😂

Would need to be Twitter to be effective 

I've just seen the video of the woman being shot. It did look entirely unnecessary but then again she was trying to climb over a barricade while an officer stood there pointing a gun at her so she had plenty of warning.

There was someone on that Death to 2020 who made the good point that Trump is a moron (tbh the only reason he got there was because no one else was stupid enough to try his tactic) but what will be really worrying is when a Trump with a modicum of intelligence comes along. That’s when things get really dangerous.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I don't know what's worse. The fact he's about the shoot his own cock off, or that Christmas tree 

The Christmas Tree- call me biased but the Christmas Tree is always the worst of any given set of options. :lol:

• Haha 7

13 hours ago, ewerk said:

Also, would it preclude Pence from carrying out two terms in the future or completely obliterate his chances of nomination?

No it wouldn't.  I think he would have to have been President for a couple of years for that rule to apply.  Certainly longer than 14 days or whatever it is now.

LBJ took over from JFK then won the next election but chose not run for re-election iirc. Not sure if anything in the constitution has changed since then though 

I immediately started wondering what they'd threatened him with to get him to read that out. There's no way that was written by him, and there's no way he wanted to do it.

• Andrew changed the title to President Biden