President Biden

Happy Face

Quitting his business interests after all: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/30/donald-trump-leaving-business-interests

Presumably handed over to family though.

They've been making a fuss of that over here but it's basically what he's been saying the whole time unless he doesn't put his kids in control. He always said Donald jr and Ivanka would run it and people yelled at him saying that wasn't a blind trust, he may as well just retain control if he's going to just give it to his kids.

In what is probably going to be more of an issue for the world the incoming chief of staff says climate change denial will be the default position of the Trump administration:

https://thinkprogress.org/trump-climate-change-bunk-28c5c44cee#.wun54aloh

Edited by Howay

They've been making a fuss of that over here but it's basically what he's been saying the whole time unless he doesn't put his kids in control. He always said Donald jr and Ivanka would run it and people yelled at him saying that wasn't a blind trust, he may as well just retain control if he's going to just give it to his kids.

In what is probably going to be more of an issue for the world the incoming chief of staff says climate change denial will be the default position of the Trump administration:

https://thinkprogress.org/trump-climate-change-bunk-28c5c44cee#.wun54aloh

I wouldn't worry too much on the climate denial front - we're going to start seeing some very clear indications of it in due course and they're probably unavoidable now anyway. Probably time we accepted our fate on that one.

I wouldn't worry too much on the climate denial front - we're going to start seeing some very clear indications of it in due course and they're probably unavoidable now anyway. Probably time we accepted our fate on that one.

It is probably irreversible now but we should be doing all we can to lessen the damage, denying it and taking major backward steps with regards to emissions will accelerate the issue and from a selfish issue will mean we'll probably see more of the problems in our lifetime. I think if we're willing to shrug it off we should absolutely be shrugging off a lot of the other issues with the Trump presidency that are getting more press. Not that I think Hillary gave a flying fuck about climate change either mind.

It is probably irreversible now but we should be doing all we can to lessen the damage, denying it and taking major backward steps with regards to emissions will accelerate the issue and from a selfish issue will mean we'll probably see more of the problems in our lifetime. I think if we're willing to shrug it off we should absolutely be shrugging off a lot of the other issues with the Trump presidency that are getting more press. Not that I think Hillary gave a flying fuck about climate change either mind.

I'm shrugging off quite a lot of the whole Trump presidency given that I feel that this was an unavoidable end point, albeit an undesirable one. These things don't just happen and the established order set the scene for it. Like the effects of climate change, I'd say the whole thing was unavoidable with the mindset that has dominated Western thinking for the past few decades. However, I do think that it will shake more people into thinking that actually, we need better solutions. I think Trump might be the great evil that unites the lower and middle classes around a common cause again, if the left can get its game face on and drop the divisive rhetoric.

EDIT - along with Brexit here, hopefully.

Edited by Rayvin

"As far as the, you know, potential conflict of interests, though, I mean I know that from the standpoint, the law is totally on my side, meaning, the president can’t have a conflict of interest,” he told the paper. “And I understand why the president can’t have a conflict of interest now because everything a president does in some ways is like a conflict of interest.”

He added: “In theory, I could run my business perfectly, and then run the country perfectly. And there’s never been a case like this where somebody’s had, like, if you look at other people of wealth, they didn’t have this kind of asset and this kind of wealth, frankly. It’s just a different thing.”

[emoji38] This bloke is a genuine halfwit. The above sounds like Vicki Pollard ffs.

This is the truly scary part of climate change, that it may be too late.

If anyone survives, they'll look back on us in thousands of years and just shake their head.

I saw something the other day about the Great Barrier Reef (not relevant in the most direct sense but it is a metaphor of sorts): The Reef is basically fucked and nothing short of immediate, and drastic action is required for it to even have a chance of surviving. The action that will be taken: basically as you were and hope it grows back.

This is the truly scary part of climate change, that it may be too late.

If anyone survives, they'll look back on us in thousands of years and just shake their head.

I saw something the other day about the Great Barrier Reef (not relevant in the most direct sense but it is a metaphor of sorts): The Reef is basically fucked and nothing short of immediate, and drastic action is required for it to even have a chance of surviving. The action that will be taken: basically as you were and hope it grows back.

The loss of the great barrier reef should be something of intense sadness for most people but it'll just be shrugged off as everyone decides either that someone else will do something about it or that actually, they can tolerate looking the other way.

We're too stupid and lazy as a species to handle this issue.

You've really got to wonder if our ability to invent has outstripped our ability to consider if we should.

We'll probably invent a robot to solve climate change and the robot's solution will be to murder all of us.

You've really got to wonder if our ability to invent has outstripped our ability to consider if we should.

We'll probably invent a robot to solve climate change and the robot's solution will be to murder all of us.

The only remaining argument in favour of our species IMO is that we tend to do well under pressure. When the shit hits the fan, we'll respond effectively - we're just going to be oblivious until that point. And obviously, it's a high stakes game.

I agree with Jim Jefferies on this one. We don't have to save the planet, we have to save ourselves. The planet doesn't give a fuck about us and will be glad when we're gone

• Andrew changed the title to President Biden