President Biden

Happy Face

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I’m not massively up on US politics, but Kamala Harris, Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders all seemed much better options than Joe Biden

From the perspective of actually improving the long-standing problems in the country, absolutely. But with the way the political mood is, your average voter doesn't want a revolution. They've had a bellyful of Trump upending every standard and norm this country has held for decades and they want someone who can steady the ship and "return to normalcy." 

Biden isn't a particularly inspiring candidate, but he would be a pair of safe hands, and would mean an end to the excesses and infringements of the Trump administration, like having family members without security clearance employed in key positions (awkward with Hunter, but whatever), violating the emoluments clause, rejecting traditional allies and sucking up to every two-bit dictator worldwide, pay-to-play at Mar-a-lago, assaults on the free press, and of course Trump's particular rule-by-Twitter-decree style of lunacy. 

I maintain the same position that I've held for nearly 4 years now - 2016 was a one-time thing, and Trump's base cannot possibly win another election. It actually should never have won an election in the first place, had Hillary run even just a slightly better campaign. Biden's handlers will not make the same glaring mistakes she did, and the phenomenon of 70,000 votes in the Rust Belt tipping an entire election will not happen again. 

• Like 1

That all makes sense if things were as they were in December but I can't help thinking  a "steady hand" isn't what will be needed in the next 1/4/8/15 years. 

4 minutes ago, NJS said:

That all makes sense if things were as they were in December but I can't help thinking  a "steady hand" isn't what will be needed in the next 1/4/8/15 years. 

I agree but it seems that we need to let the establishment prove itself again first. Biden gets in, if he makes everything great again and the world settles down then that works for me, ultimately. If he gets in and the world doesn't settle, the US doesn't settle, then I think we have to conclude that the traditional centreground is a busted flush. Same for Starmer over here next time out (although he's not actually a centrist, but for one reason or another, the centrists seem to think he is).

Have any of you watched the recent season of "Dirty Money" on Netflix? The episode about Trump is fucking mental. How he ever reached the Whitehouse after running so many of his businesses into the ground, accumulating so much debt and floating about shit fast food adverts early 2000's is just crackers. That's not even mentioning all of his dodgy dealings and everything else.

17 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

Have any of you watched the recent season of "Dirty Money" on Netflix? The episode about Trump is fucking mental. How he ever reached the Whitehouse after running so many of his businesses into the ground, accumulating so much debt and floating about shit fast food adverts early 2000's is just crackers. That's not even mentioning all of his dodgy dealings and everything else.

I haven't but it sounds like a good watch. I'll check it out.

On 09/04/2020 at 16:27, Rayvin said:

I can see them not voting, but i can't see them voting Trump.

I checked last night and there is scant evidence that Bernie's supporters in any way killed Hillary's campaign. Don't know why it would be any different this time.

Hopefully not but they seem a lot more pissed off this time. This is his second go and he won't get another one. 

1 minute ago, RobinRobin said:

Hopefully not but they seem a lot more pissed off this time. This is his second go and he won't get another one. 

He won't indeed but there'll always be someone else on that front. AOC will age in eventually. Ultimately I don't think the Sanders voters are going to ruin this now I've looked at some of the research, but that doesn't mean Biden just gets a straight run. Seems he'll win or lose by fighting Trump for the centrists.

That seems a safe bet based on the primaries. At least for older black voters who are more likely to vote anyway.

I think they're so close in polling that the campaigning period will actually matter. Is Biden a good campaigner/debater?

1 hour ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Does it really matter if he’s a good debater? Never did Trump any harm and he’s the political equivalent of a toddler punching a table because he has to eat vegetables

If he's worse than Trump, it'll matter. The right always gets a freer pass in these things.

On 09/04/2020 at 09:27, Rayvin said:

I can see them not voting, but i can't see them voting Trump.

I checked last night and there is scant evidence that Bernie's supporters in any way killed Hillary's campaign. Don't know why it would be any different this time.

They seem pretty left wing though. An example of what I was saying a few days ago, Biden is never going to appeal to them and we shouldn't expect them to vote for him any more than we expect LDs and Greens to vote Labour.

But does it matter in the end? These guys presumably never voted for Obama either.

• Andrew changed the title to President Biden