President Biden

Happy Face

China looking concerned here - they're considered a much bigger military force than they actually are IMO. Sure if it came to land invasions they'd be able to repel anyone, but naval fights over the South China Sea, the US would win comfortably. They'll also be looking to keep a lid on domestic nationalism here. If the Chinese people see that the US is provoking them, they'll judge their government on its response. If the CCP look weak, they'll lose power.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/07/steve-bannon-china-plays-down-predictions-of-war-with-us-wang-yi

I reckon the US might fancy their chances, disastrously.

American Navy wouldn't last 5 min in the South China sea. China have some of the most advanced anti-ship missiles the Silkworm c803 latest version and the DF-26 (2500 miles range) and dozens of batteries along its coast and on the fake islands. The only issue is whether to actually sink a carrier or not as all hell would break lose if America lost a carrier. Carrier groups are like sitting ducks these days.

Edited by Park Life

American Navy wouldn't last 5 min in the South China sea. China have some of the most advanced anti-ship missiles the Silkworm c803 latest version and the DF-26 (2500 miles range) and dozens of batteries along its coast and on the fake islands. The only issue is whether to actually sink a carrier or not as all hell would break lose if America lost a carrier. Carrier groups are like sitting ducks these days.

I don't think the Chinese could stand in the face of the wholesale might of the US navy, no matter their tech. Plus the US would get buy in from every other country actively resisting Chinese imperialism in that area.

But I take your point - entrenched missile battery placements in their fake islands will make it difficult and it would be extremely costly for both sides. My point was more that the Chinese look concerned. This isn't a normal statement from them, to see them trying to calm things down rather than using current events for domestic bravado. It suggests that they don't fully trust that the US government won't attack them, or force their hands in something they don't want to do.

I don't think the Chinese could stand in the face of the wholesale might of the US navy, no matter their tech. Plus the US would get buy in from every other country actively resisting Chinese imperialism in that area.

But I take your point - entrenched missile battery placements in their fake islands will make it difficult and it would be extremely costly for both sides. My point was more that the Chinese look concerned. This isn't a normal statement from them, to see them trying to calm things down rather than using current events for domestic bravado. It suggests that they don't fully trust that the US government won't attack them, or force their hands in something they don't want to do.

The in theater Navy would be toast but the backlash from America would be worse of course. :D

The force projection of carrier groups is old hat now and alright for taking down banana republics etc...The latest Raytheon Searam anti-ship missile defense has been rolled out the last couple of years by the American Navy and it would be interesting to see how it performs against dozens of simultaneous incoming.

America has some kind of deal with Vietnam now with reg to working together in a defensive posture. On the other hand Russia and China have a mutual defence pact signed 5 years ago. America probably couldn't take on Russia and China at the same time. :D

It would cream China in everything bar a stand up land war. American stuff isn't easily replaceable and very expensive. And a lot of it probably doesn't work properly.

Edited by Park Life

They might not need to in the Trump era.

Although it's certainly clear that the US couldn't take both if it did come to that. Not without the EU. And the EU is on the ropes now anyway.

They might not need to in the Trump era.

Although it's certainly clear that the US couldn't take both if it did come to that. Not without the EU. And the EU is on the ropes now anyway.

I worked out the Red army would be in Berlin in 3 days. :lol:

NATO can't hold off Russia if America is busy with China.

Under ideal conditions the re-supply is 7 days. NATO is designed to hold on for about a week in ideal scenarios with American airlifts arriving on time. In the long run NATO would possibly win if it held out in the crucial first assaults...Just in the Baltics Russia has 46 battalions fully mechanized to NATO'S 7 etc..

If America wasn't busy and NATO survives the first few days re-supply arriving would tip the balance.....Probably.

There is only one rule in war. Never fuck with the bear.

Edited by Park Life

The US spend more on defence than virtually the whole world put together. It's something like six times that of China and twenty times that of Russia.

Russia is a minnow, it has a smaller GDP than California alone. I know who I'd back in a square go. Although I suspect it would quickly escalate to tactical nukes, and then full on Armageddon.

Edited by Renton

The US spend more on defence than virtually the whole world put together. It's something like six times that of China and twenty times that of Russia.

Russia is a minnow, it has a smaller GDP than California alone. I know who I'd back in a square go. Although I suspect it would quickly escalate to tactical nukes, and then full on Armageddon.

Yeah but America isn't in Europe. Russia has a massive advantage against NATO. American spending is high but their stuff is wildly expensive and complex (doesn't work properly like the new 5th Gen fighter we bought which is a turkey) and they are spread out across the globe. I agree if it was just Russia v America Russia would go nuke first. However I would question American morale and public support if a war started and their cities started getting hit. Russians are used to all that and well prepared. The Russian psyche is prepared to fight to the last man the American psyche is prepared to fight to the last European. :D

Neither side can win. But with China I think they have gamed a win which is the worry.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/defence/11712648/F-35-fighter-makers-leap-to-its-defence-after-it-loses-dogfight-to-1970s-jet.html

Edited by Park Life

They've included Paris, the Nice Truck attack and San Bernadino on there. What on earth do they qualify as under-reported?

I assume he means that they did not come up on his twitter feed.  I can certainly confirm that the Australian ones were well-reported here. 

They may have got their facts (and, frankly, their spelling) right as well.  Curtis Cheng (Parramatta October 2015) was not a police officer. 

FAKE NEWS :idiot:

Alex Jones is a libertarian??

When I described his site as "far right" in an article recently, I was inundated with indignant e-mails. Jones might have made his chops with documentaries about the Waco siege, but he views himself as a libertarian, not a right-winger.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2009/04/an_accused_cop_killers_politics.html

Was part of a conversation where Parky said Obama's mates own the media.  I facetiously said Trump's friends own infowars, which is the media source for right wingers who think Fox is too liberal.  Was Parky who went into the libertarian viewership of infowars and how Jones sits to the left of them and isn't in cahoots with Trump any more.

When I described his site as "far right" in an article recently, I was inundated with indignant e-mails. Jones might have made his chops with documentaries about the Waco siege, but he views himself as a libertarian, not a right-winger.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2009/04/an_accused_cop_killers_politics.html

Was part of a conversation where Parky said Obama's mates own the media.  I facetiously said Trump's friends own infowars, which is the media source for right wingers who think Fox is too liberal.  Was Parky who went into the libertarian viewership of infowars and how Jones sits to the left of them and isn't in cahoots with Trump any more.

Ah fair enough. I mean it's obvious that Jones is very right wing, but I had him nearer to the Alt-Right than the Libertarians.

Nice piss take.

Edited by Park Life

Trumps win can be traced right back to this moment. Bill Maher laughing at Ruby Ridge where the ATF staked out and shot up a whole family. It started the weird thing of bringing together the libertarians and the militia resistance and the constitutionals. Ronson correctly notes that Weaver wasn't a Neo Nazi at all. Maher happy to spread the at the time cover up/smear about Weaver and the Aryan nation.

Edited by Park Life

Um... I would have said it traces right back to Thatcher and Reagan instituting Neoliberalism more than some guy laughing at some people being killed. Why do you think this is the moment?

Um... I would have said it traces right back to Thatcher and Reagan instituting Neoliberalism more than some guy laughing at some people being killed. Why do you think this is the moment?

The old broad right (white haired Republicans) and the old skool financial elites loved Reagan and deregulation.

They had no axe to grind with Reagan and there was no analysis from the younger disaffected in the Southern rogue states or the survivalists in 'the mountains'. The birth of the new consensus on 'big Govt' and invasive Federal Agencies started around the debates about Waco, Ruby Ridge and Timmy the boy McVeigh. Camped around these three events was the germination of the new seeds of the ideas around remaking the pact with the constitution, nationalism. patriotism and resistance. It is from those moments that the ideas we can broadly call the alt-right were born.

The alt-right are deep in myth with reg to America and its a myth that Trump has exploited but nevertheless we know that myth is far more powerful than fact.

Myth is the amber and quartz that is at the heart of the human condition.

Edited by Park Life

• Andrew changed the title to President Biden