President Biden

Happy Face

I wonder if this post truth, alternative fact world is here for good. Depressingly it probably is. I blame Parky.

You lot have been living in it all your lives you just never noticed.

But yes I am the fulcrum. :D

Having an argument with some goon on twitter that said Middle Easterners are bigger rapers than Americans. I Point out that the stats are 30x higher in America. That's because rape is legal in the Middle East apparently. I pointed out that it's actually punishable by death in most of the countries. Now it's because ladies who report rape are murdered so the stats are skewed

:lol:

There's a lot of talk from the 'right' about how immigrants from the ME coming into Western democracies leads to a spike in sexual assaults and so on. I don't know how true it is but it's not surprising that some people will believe it. The Cologne attacks didn't help with the spreading of this concept.

Edited by Rayvin

Looking at it, it's hard to say. Sweden refuses to register crimes based on ethnicity so we can only say that since immigrants started entering the country in substantial numbers, incidences have increased. However, that may also be because the definition of what constitutes a rape has increased:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/sweden-and-denmark-have-highest-number-of-sexual-assaults-in-europe-a6800901.html

Here's the Guardian's Cologne report:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/06/tensions-rise-in-germany-over-handling-of-mass-sexual-assaults-in-cologne

I think it's important to be honest in all this one way or the other, not that I'm actually saying that any of this constitutes proof that the guy you were arguing with has a point.

Edited by Rayvin

I refer you to my previous comment

Er...  ok. So my original point was that we're likely comparing two different numbers if we look at rape statistics from the two countries. One of which will include marital rape, and the other of which, will not (as it is not recognised as a crime and therefore won't be reported). As a journalist, presumably you can see that these are therefore not comparable figures.

• Andrew changed the title to President Biden