Newcastle first-timer

cds85

Hi all, myself and a couple of others are coming down from Scotland for the Blackburn game this weekend. Never been to Newcastle before so was just wondering if there was a certain bar/bars that are close to the ground and good for a few pints before the match? Cheers

The Strawberry is right beside the ground, will be packed but good ales.

Haven't been in the Trent in ages, but it's 2 minutes from the ground- see above for ales and busyness.

Bar 9 and Shark Bar are very close if you are fond of bars full of Spunk Trumpets. ;)

Edit; The Percy in Haymarket is 3-4 minutes from the ground, having said all of the above, most all the Haymarket/Gallowgate bars are no more than 5 minutes from the ground.

Enjoy.

Haven't been in the Trent in ages, but it's 2 minutes from the ground- see above for ales and busyness.

Bar 9 and Shark Bar are very close if you are fond of bars full of Spunk Trumpets. ;)

Edit; The Percy in Haymarket is 3-4 minutes from the ground, having said all of the above, all the Haymarket/Gallowgate bars are no more than 5 minutes from the ground.

Enjoy.

Edit; The Percy in Haymarket is 3-4 minutes from the ground, having said all of the above, all the Haymarket/Gallowgate bars are no more than 5 minutes from the ground.

Enjoy.

Is that just such a good post that it needed to be shared twice?

stowell street is canny. plenty of decent chinese restaurants if you fancy some dinner before the match, then a pint in rosie's bar. which also gets packed so you wouldn't want to get there much after 2pm. 

stowell street is canny. plenty of decent chinese restaurants if you fancy some dinner before the match, then a pint in rosie's bar. which also gets packed so you wouldn't want to get there much after 2pm. 

Newcastle Arms is good

Alvino's has a pinball machine :D

I liked Alvinos, haven't been in a while though. Last time I was there my mate was making sure I got shit-faced on my birthday.

:lol:

Where would you and the Jizz Trombones guys recommend?

Depends what the lad is after, where he's staying and if it's just a Saturday pre-match pint or if he's down for the weekend.

Even though I'm not a fan of them, if he's got a big group and they're after atmosphere he could go to the Union rooms or the Mile Castle. If it's just a couple of lads he could try and get in the Trent or the Strawberry early doors. Something in between he could try Rosies or Tilley's. If he's after a bit of a pub crawl from the station to the stadium he could do the Irish pub opposite the station, then the Town Wall/The Forth, Tilleys, then Nine bar.