Hull v Tinkered Twats - Tue 29/11 @ 7.45pm

Happy Face

Predict The Score  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Aye, Sels is fucking tragic. We've seen enough of him to say that imo, could he turn it round and become a class keeper? Aye of course he could but there's no point risking it when the majority of opportunities he has had he's looked shaky and we have better.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No way he has the heart to make it as a professional.

Are you ok? I can only assume you died in your sleep of some sort of hysteria-based malady, just wanted to check on you.

Obviously gutted to go out but really heartened by the performance, especially after how poor we were on Saturday. We were absolutely different class to them for most of the 120 mins, barring odd little periods like the beginning of the 2nd half (and unfortunately 30 seconds after the goal) when we got a bit complacent. I thought they all played well and as a team we looked quality. Let's not forget that at any point in the last 4 or so years we would have been guaranteed to go there, put in a lame, heartless performance and lose within the 90. The change we've seen in the last 6 months has been astonishing. I know they have been whipping boys in the Premier League this year but I'd be surprised if many Prem teams will look as superior against them as we did. And that was on a pitch that should have been a leveller for them. Shelvey is frankly a joy to watch - I really hope he keeps this going for the rest of the season and into the Prem because I think he's got the ability to be one of the best midfielders around. Gayle had a bit of an off day but I'm not going to criticise him cos he's been absolute quality for us since he signed. If we can keep putting in performances like that in 7 out of 10 games between now and the rest of the season we'll be flying.

About the pens, I'm not too bothered about them missing them. It happens to all teams. It's a cliche but it's true, it's a lottery and I accepted a long time ago that Newcastle just basically never win penalty shoot outs. On another night we would have won inside 90 comfortably with that level of performance though. I thought Selz looked good apart from the goal. It's unfortunate for him, it looks like he's going to struggle to make it here. I think he might a good keeper who's just got off to a bad start. He should have pushed that first shot out though - that's a basic mistake and you can't really make an excuse for it. No criticism for not saving any pens though.

And Lascelles smashing that water bottle into the front row was class  :D

About the pens, I'm not too bothered about them missing them. It happens to all teams. It's a cliche but it's true, it's a lottery

Nah it isn't. There's a bit of luck needed but you can practice and can get better at penalties. Those three missed penalties last night were a joke.

NUFC to Score

0 - wykikitoon, TheGingerQuiff, Dr Gloom, @yourservice

1 - The Fish, Kevin Carr's Gloves, Happy Face, OTF, StoneColdStephenIreland, sammynb, zico martin, LooneyToony, ChezGiven

2 - Howay, Rayvin, Monkeys Fist, ewerk, MiddleAgeCool, Tom, David Kelly, rogerbarton, strawb, tooner, Holden McGroin, Ant, aimaad22, ToonMarshy, Dougle

3 - Andrew, Anorthernsoul, Jintsay, toonotl

4+ - ohhh_yeah

NUFC to Concede

0 - Howay, Kevin Carr's Gloves, ewerk, Happy Face, Tom, OTF, strawb, Holden McGroin, ohhh_yeah, toonotl, sammynb, LooneyToony, ChezGiven

1 - Andrew, Rayvin, Monkeys Fist, wykikitoon, MiddleAgeCool, David Kelly, rogerbarton, tooner, Dr Gloom, Ant, Jintsay, aimaad22, StoneColdStephenIreland, Dougle

2 - The Fish, Anorthernsoul, ToonMarshy, zico martin

3 - @yourservice

4+ - TheGingerQuiff

Only just finished watching the game and two things stand out for me.

1. Someone needs to tell Lazzar that Perez wants his hair back.

2. This team will not be as successful in the PL as we hope and quite a few will need to be upgraded. Hull are shite and they could not put them to the sword.

2. This team will not be as successful in the PL as we hope and quite a few will need to be upgraded. Hull are shite and they could not put them to the sword.

Was there anyone not of this opinion before the match?

Nah it isn't. There's a bit of luck needed but you can practice and can get better at penalties. Those three missed penalties last night were a joke.

It really is - good penalty takers miss pens every now and again, especially in shoot outs, and every now and again it happens like last night where everyone has a shocker at the same time. I don't doubt that our 3 that missed them are as good at pens in training as the 3 that scored them for Hull. Not a joke and definitely not an embarrassment imo. It happens and I'm not going to criticise them for missing the pens given how well they played on the night and the levels of motivation, professionalism and preparation that they've put in all season. 

It really is - good penalty takers miss pens every now and again, especially in shoot outs, and every now and again it happens like last night where everyone has a shocker at the same time. I don't doubt that our 3 that missed them are as good at pens in training as the 3 that scored them for Hull. Not a joke and definitely not an embarrassment imo. It happens and I'm not going to criticise them for missing the pens given how well they played on the night and the levels of motivation, professionalism and preparation that they've put in all season. 

I wasn't bowled over with our performance. We played a poor side, no better than anything we've played in the Championship all season and failed to score past them in 90 minutes. It's nothing to celebrate.

And yes, penalty takers will miss the odd penalty but should be scoring them four times out of five. For three of our four to step forward to then miss isn't on. It isn't luck, they were simply bad penalties and it is something they should rightly be criticised for.

@ Dickie sorry like but the penalties were an embarrassment. It's a massive target the goalposts are 8 yards apart & 8 foot high & you shoot from 12 yards away you might miss the occasional one but to miss 3 out 4 is rubbish

Morning after thoughts: agree that we outplayed them for most of the game and 7 times out of 10 we'd have won in 90 minutes. There have been a few games now where we've had a lot of the ball but not put away our chances though.

Trying to match ourselves against PL level teams at the moment is fairly pointless IMO. Surely we all know Rafa is going to make 5 or 6 signings if / when we go up anyway.

Obviously gutted to go out but really heartened by the performance, especially after how poor we were on Saturday. We were absolutely different class to them for most of the 120 mins, barring odd little periods like the beginning of the 2nd half (and unfortunately 30 seconds after the goal) when we got a bit complacent. I thought they all played well and as a team we looked quality. Let's not forget that at any point in the last 4 or so years we would have been guaranteed to go there, put in a lame, heartless performance and lose within the 90. The change we've seen in the last 6 months has been astonishing. I know they have been whipping boys in the Premier League this year but I'd be surprised if many Prem teams will look as superior against them as we did. And that was on a pitch that should have been a leveller for them. Shelvey is frankly a joy to watch - I really hope he keeps this going for the rest of the season and into the Prem because I think he's got the ability to be one of the best midfielders around. Gayle had a bit of an off day but I'm not going to criticise him cos he's been absolute quality for us since he signed. If we can keep putting in performances like that in 7 out of 10 games between now and the rest of the season we'll be flying.

About the pens, I'm not too bothered about them missing them. It happens to all teams. It's a cliche but it's true, it's a lottery and I accepted a long time ago that Newcastle just basically never win penalty shoot outs. On another night we would have won inside 90 comfortably with that level of performance though. I thought Selz looked good apart from the goal. It's unfortunate for him, it looks like he's going to struggle to make it here. I think he might a good keeper who's just got off to a bad start. He should have pushed that first shot out though - that's a basic mistake and you can't really make an excuse for it. No criticism for not saving any pens though.

And Lascelles smashing that water bottle into the front row was class  :D

Good post :good:

I am bothered about missing the pens though, I wouldn't mind if the 'keeper had pulled off a couple of great saves because that reactions, guesswork and skill, but everything he stopped was pretty straightforward and trickled. If you're not confident about placement you've got to put your boot through it. Players of the ability of Shelvey and Gayle should have the ability to find the inside side netting every time, Atsu went for power as Gouffran should have.

Penalties aren't a lottery, if your practise them you'll get better at putting the ball into the hardest to reach spots with power, do that and you'll score more than not.

I wasn't bowled over with our performance. We played a poor side, no better than anything we've played in the Championship all season and failed to score past them in 90 minutes. It's nothing to celebrate.

And yes, penalty takers will miss the odd penalty but should be scoring them four times out of five. For three of our four to step forward to then miss isn't on. It isn't luck, they were simply bad penalties and it is something they should rightly be criticised for.

OK fair enough, have to agree to disagree there then. I'll just always find it hard to criticise players for missing in shoot outs - whether we're talking about NUFC or any other team. It's just one of those things. Plenty of top teams with top penalty takers have had shocking shoot outs over the years. I really don't think it necessarily on them as players or the amount of preparation they put in as professionals.  

OK fair enough, have to agree to disagree there then. I'll just always find it hard to criticise players for missing in shoot outs - whether we're talking about NUFC or any other team. It's just one of those things. Plenty of top teams with top penalty takers have had shocking shoot outs over the years. I really don't think it necessarily on them as players or the amount of preparation they put in as professionals.  

It's hard to criticise because of the pressure they're under when a penalty shoot-out happens. However if they're drilled they should have more confidence to face that pressure. 

Public speaking is scary the first few times you do it, but if you practise the skills you need and have confidence in them you'll find it less daunting and you'll become better at it.