Hull v Tinkered Twats - Tue 29/11 @ 7.45pm

Happy Face

Predict The Score  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

"The more I practice the luckier I get"

;)

I think Gary Lineker used the golf analogy years ago in relation to England saying they didn't specifically practice taking them, i.e. you can't replicate the pressure but that still doesn't stop Tiger Woods or whoever practicing a six-footer to win The Open over and over again. It reminded me of that because that's a quote from Gary Player isn't it?

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I say, plenty of top, top teams have messed up penalty shoot outs. I think you'll find a lot of professionals will say that it's very hard to legislate for a shoot out. The obvious example that springs to mind is Baggio 94. Nobody can tell me he didn't practice enough pens - he was always his sides regular penalty taker and he was famous for being a model professional, very hard trainer and dedicated etc, and with the confidence of being the best player in the world at that time, with a track record of playing well under pressure and in big games. You could have had 3 Baggio's on that team and who's to say all 3 wouldn't have missed. It happens. I'll never criticise players for missing in penalty shoot outs. I think I'll stop here otherwise it's just going round in circles.

Hoping for the best definitely isn't working though. It can't all come down to luck on the day and who's the least nervy under pressure.

If theres a mindset issue and they're all nervous nellies, fix it. That stuff can and should be worked on.

Like I say, plenty of top, top teams have messed up penalty shoot outs. I think you'll find a lot of professionals will say that it's very hard to legislate for a shoot out. The obvious example that springs to mind is Baggio 94. Nobody can tell me he didn't practice enough pens - he was always his sides regular penalty taker and he was famous for being a model professional, very hard trainer and dedicated etc, and with the confidence of being the best player in the world at that time, with a track record of playing well under pressure and in big games. You could have had 3 Baggio's on that team and who's to say all 3 wouldn't have missed. It happens. I'll never criticise players for missing in penalty shoot outs. I think I'll stop here otherwise it's just going round in circles.

I largely agree with you fwiw, I was just reminded of that in relation to Ewerk's post. Also think there's something to be said for just leathering it when you're nervous too. Although Chris Waddle might disagree.

Hoping for the best definitely isn't working though. It can't all come down to luck on the day and who's the least nervy under pressure.

If theres a mindset issue and they're all nervous nellies, fix it. That stuff can and should be worked on.

Judging by the wastefulness of our shooting towards the end of the match (where it became noticeably worse), I think tiredness and fatigue had a lot to do with it.

I think Gary Lineker used the golf analogy years ago in relation to England saying they didn't specifically practice taking them, i.e. you can't replicate the pressure but that still doesn't stop Tiger Woods or whoever practicing a six-footer to win The Open over and over again. It reminded me of that because that's a quote from Gary Player isn't it?

Well Gary Player has claimed it anyway. Though he would.

I largely agree with you fwiw, I was just reminded of that in relation to Ewerk's post. Also think there's something to be said for just leathering it when you're nervous too. Although Chris Waddle might disagree.

Absolutely. To be fair to Gayle he did try that and ended up 3 inches too high, hitting the bar and going out. Atsu hit the bar and went in, 3 inches difference over 12 yards... I don't know if the Hull players who scored would admit that their pens were within less than 3 inches of the spot they were aiming for.  

Absolutely. To be fair to Gayle he did try that and ended up 3 inches too high, hitting the bar and going out. Atsu hit the bar and went in, 3 inches difference over 12 yards... I don't know if the Hull players who scored would admit that their pens were within less than 3 inches of the spot they were aiming for.  

The inches we need are everywhere around us.

They’re in every break of the game, every minute, every second.

On this team, we fight for that inch. On this team, we tear ourselves and everyone else around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch, because we know when we add up all those inches that’s gonna make the fuckin' difference between winning and losing! Between livin' and dyin'!

- Gary Player

Regarding our utter shitness at penalty shootouts, I'd say that there's definitely extra pressure at 'no trophies for forty odd years but still backed by a desperate to win crowd' NUFC. I'd sometimes they rather just thought 'fuck it, nothing to lose' and welly the fucker.

I just find it weird that we've never been good at pens, no matter what players are in the side. Even sides with class pen takers in we still seem to lose, suppose it's the same with England as well. Aye you can say it's nerves but other teams manage a lot better than NUFC and England, it's just odd. Fwiw I'd rather a player miss like Gayle than have an effort like Gouffrans, I get Dickies point but there's absolutely no defending that effort.

Rafa's going to have to get them back on track for the job in hand namely promotion. 2 defeats in 4 days with a game on Friday I'd imagine morales pretty low despite our position in the Championship.