Nottingham Forest v Newcastle United - Friday 2 December - 7.45pm - Sky Sports

Happy Face

Predict The Score  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well according to what the Fish posted they're shit at defending just about everything, the fact they've conceded the 2nd most in the league backs that up (interestingly enough Norwich are joint 3rd worst defensively).

What we really need is for them to have a bit of a go at us, I think we've been struggling with teams that are just sitting back recently as Hull basically had no intention of leaving their half for most of the game. If they open up a bit and try and attack us I think we'll give them a right kicking to get back on track.

I'd like to see Mitrovic start this one him & Gayle up front could be a good partnership. I know some will probably question the Mitrovic choice I know he's not a prolific finisher. But nobody can question his commitment use him for what he is a target man to provide knock downs for Gayle.

Edited by trooper

Well according to what the Fish posted they're shit at defending just about everything, the fact they've conceded the 2nd most in the league backs that up (interestingly enough Norwich are joint 3rd worst defensively).

What we really need is for them to have a bit of a go at us, I think we've been struggling with teams that are just sitting back recently as Hull basically had no intention of leaving their half for most of the game. If they open up a bit and try and attack us I think we'll give them a right kicking to get back on track.

Aye that's it. Looking at the amount of goals they've scored I don't think we'll have a problem scoring against these. The Blackburn game was just weird - the whole side was completely flat from the start, I think we'll put that behind us and win comfortably on Friday.

Rafa's press conference - the key lines

Rafa Benitez’s press conference was at 1pm. Here are the key points.

No approach for Ian Cathro from Hearts yet. “Ian’s a great coach but we haven’t had any official approach yet. He is doing well. He has the qualities to coach,” Benitez said. 

Benitez was a bit more upbeat about the Hull loss than he had been on Tuesday. “The defeat on penalties was hard to take, but at least we didn’t get any injuries. We played well & learned a lot,” he said. 

Rafa has repeated his point about game management letting Newcastle down. “We played vs a PL team & we played very well for long periods. But when we score, we must manage it a lot better,” he said.

Benitez confirms changes for the Forest game. “Obviously we have to change players, how many? We have to decide,” he said.Forest are a danger, says Rafa. “The Championship is always difficult but Forest are scoring goals and are difficult,” he said.Rafa wants to see NUFC get back to “good habits”. He said: “After so many wins in a row, people weren’t expecting defeat against Blackburn. Now we have to be sure we get back to good habits.”No fresh injuries to worry about. 

Aye that's it. Looking at the amount of goals they've scored I don't think we'll have a problem scoring against these. The Blackburn game was just weird - the whole side was completely flat from the start, I think we'll put that behind us and win comfortably on Friday.

I'm hoping in a way Gayle struggling in the Hull game lights a fire under Mitrovic to try and win the spot as he might see it as a chance, not that I'm particularly arsed about having Mitro play over Gayle it'd just be nice to batter Forest.

Rotation is inevitable and essential for this one given it's our third game in a week and the last one went all the way to pens.  Shelvey and Hayden both looked absolutely fucked on tuesday so I expect at least one of them not to play.  That's likely to bring in Tiote I would imagine.  Hopefully it will be the Tiote we were seeing towards the end of last season rather then the one who can look very uninterested.  Is Colback fit?  If Shelvey isn't playing I think we'll see the one big weakness in our squad, ie no cover for him.  

I do think Hull's equaliser was caused to an unfortunate slip by Hayden(?) due to the surface.  Can't really account for that sort of thing and they had basically no threat apart from that other than a good spin by Mbokani(?).

Rotation is inevitable and essential for this one given it's our third game in a week and the last one went all the way to pens.  Shelvey and Hayden both looked absolutely fucked on tuesday so I expect at least one of them not to play.  That's likely to bring in Tiote I would imagine.  Hopefully it will be the Tiote we were seeing towards the end of last season rather then the one who can look very uninterested.  Is Colback fit?  If Shelvey isn't playing I think we'll see the one big weakness in our squad, ie no cover for him.  

I've been pleasantly surprised by Hayden's distribution, so I'm not that concerned about that weakness in general, though as you say that doesn't help for this specific match.

We're definitely going to see a lot of rotation, I think it'll more resemble the line up against Blackburn bar the CM pairing as they were both blowing through their arses by the end. The other worry for me is the wings, we have Atsu who will be relatively fresh but Ritchie and Gouffran both played the majority of the 120 and Ritchie in particular looked like he was running through treacle, I'd say we might see Perez and Atsu on the wings but then unless we play Diame I can't see it as there's no way we'll be playing Murphy and Mitro together. 

I suppose the other big question is will Sels start ? Is Krul not ready yet ?

You really think that's a big question?  Darlow has been playing every league game and playing well.  Sels has only played the last two cup games and handed them the equaliser on Tuesday.  It's as obvious as it could possibly be that Darlow will be playing.

Krul has just played 3 reserve games for Ajax in the last couple of weeks so it looks like he's pretty much fit but he won't play for us this season.  

Elliott is apparently nearly fit but I doubt we'll see him in the first team before the new year after such a long time out.

We're definitely going to see a lot of rotation, I think it'll more resemble the line up against Blackburn bar the CM pairing as they were both blowing through their arses by the end. The other worry for me is the wings, we have Atsu who will be relatively fresh but Ritchie and Gouffran both played the majority of the 120 and Ritchie in particular looked like he was running through treacle, I'd say we might see Perez and Atsu on the wings but then unless we play Diame I can't see it as there's no way we'll be playing Murphy and Mitro together. 

Gouffran hobbled up to the half way line at the end extra time on Tuesday.  I was stunned to see him take a penalty.  I think we could possibly see Atsu and Yedlin on the flanks tomorrow with Perez in for Diame who also was fucked by the end.

Gouffran hobbled up to the half way line at the end extra time on Tuesday.  I was stunned to see him take a penalty.  I think we could possibly see Atsu and Yedlin on the flanks tomorrow with Perez in for Diame who also was fucked by the end.

I hadn't considered using Yedlin but that is probably the most likely option, aye I'd forgotten Gouffran was hobbling but remembered both him and Ritchie were hanging by the end so was worried about our lack of wingers. I suppose playing Yedlin on the wing depends on how knackered Anita is, although if Anita is wrecked and Lazaar is somewhat fresh it could be Lazaar on the wing with Dummett behind him and Atsu in front of Yedlin. I'm just glad we're playing a team with a leaky defence as it's going to be a bit of a makeshift side in certain areas.

I've been pleasantly surprised by Hayden's distribution, so I'm not that concerned about that weakness in general, though as you say that doesn't help for this specific match.

Hayden's passing is pretty good but it's nowhere near as cutting as Shelvey's.  I think if we had someone else as cover for Shelvey, it might have made a difference in the last couple of games.  Shelvey is possibly the best player in this league, but if it's not going for him we could do with another option.

Hayden's passing is pretty good but it's nowhere near as cutting as Shelvey's.  I think if we had someone else as cover for Shelvey, it might have made a difference in the last couple of games.  Shelvey is possibly the best player in this league, but if it's not going for him we could do with another option.

Reckon Gerrard would fancy a few games before the New Year? He could wander about the Championship and ping the Hollywood balls about for the lols