Football sex abuse scandal

Kevin Carr's Gloves

Yeah, I think that's probably a lot to do with it. I just mentioned it in passing really, because people often wonder how people get away with it for so long but it seems that a lot of these characters like to hide in plain site. You'd never think this 'normal' family man had a predilection for young boys. Your commonsense makes you expect it to be some loner or whatever. It's fucking scary the idea of it being someone you have no reason to suspect.

Yeah that's true actually. I kind of think the issue has to become a lot less taboo to talk about before society will be safer in general, rather than people 'hiding in plain sight' like you say, they can come forward and say that they have this predisposition, have no desire to act on it, and perhaps need some manner of support. If it's a genetic thing, that is. They'd be lynched in this country at the moment, if they did that. Possibly literally.

But then maybe that will make the individuals who are on some manner of perverse power trip more dangerous.

Yeah I don't think retrospective punishments are the way forward, although perhaps the clubs need to settle up with the victims if their decision making enabled the abuse. I think we just need to look at it in earnest and make sure that the correct reporting structures are now in place to tackle this sort of thing in future.

Edited by Rayvin

Yeah it was just what some journo was on about, it didn't make sense to me. "Fines aren't enough"

He was on about.

I agree that prevention is the most important thing.

Problems like this become like snow-balls rolling down hill, picking up all kinds of flotsam in its way as it travels down.

Did you ever have any concept of this kind of thing back in your days as a kid Noelie?

I suspect Chelsea won't be the only club who did something like that.  I can't see that there's been any suggestion that we've done it but it wouldn't surprise me if we were one of many.  It's a sad indictment of not just the football industry but how our society was in the past.  This sort of thing was just covered up because no one wanted to deal with it and most of the victims were too scared to make it public.  Football may end up being just one of many places where this sort of thing went on.  We're already awash with celebrities and politicians.

Hopefully the good that comes out of it is that seeing other victims from the past come out, people who are suffering today can find the strength to do the same.  Also (more importantly) we'll see more and more safeguards in place in any organisations which involve children and vunerable adults so it doesn't happen in the first place.

No I didn't Rayvin, the world seemed so much nicer then but I'm sure things did happen, and I believe that life in general was much more secretive than it is today. Having a child out of wedlock was absolutely shameful.

Never knew or heard of any 'queers' until I went to sea at age 21 and became aware of them among the stewards. I was 'gay' but only in the sense of being a bachelor gay and having a gay old time with the birds, dolly-birds. Oh, and I could do the Gay Gordon's dance at school.

No I didn't Rayvin, the world seemed so much nicer then but I'm sure things did happen, and I believe that life in general was much more secretive than it is today. Having a child out of wedlock was absolutely shameful.

Never knew or heard of any 'queers' until I went to sea at age 21 and became aware of them among the stewards. I was 'gay' but only in the sense of being a bachelor gay and having a gay old time with the birds, dolly-birds. Oh, and I could do the Gay Gordon's dance at school.

Cheers Noelie. Interesting to know.