Wigan v Newcastle United - Wednesday 14th @ 19:45

Happy Face

Predict The Score  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bound to lose as people are leaving it for me to start the thread.  You only have yourselves to blame.

NUFC TO SCORE
0 - sammynb
1 - aimaad22, ewerk, Kevin Carr's Gloves, barnabox, Holden McGroin, Renton
2 - Dr Gloom, StoneColdStephenIreland, acrossthepond, The Fish, Ant, Anorthernsoul, LooneyToony
3 - Rayvin, Andrew, zico martin, SpartaFC, OTF, rogerbarton, David Kelly, Kitman, @yourservice
4+ - wykikitoon, Howay, Happy Face, MiddleAgeCool, strawb, ohhh_yeah, scoobos, Tom, Monkeys Fist

NUFC TO CONCEDE
0 - Andrew, wykikitoon, Dr Gloom, Howay, aimaad22, OTF, rogerbarton, Happy Face, MiddleAgeCool, The Fish, strawb, ewerk, Kevin Carr's Gloves, Anorthernsoul, scoobos, Tom, Monkeys Fist, LooneyToony
1 - Rayvin, zico martin, StoneColdStephenIreland, SpartaFC, acrossthepond, Ant, David Kelly, barnabox, Kitman, ohhh_yeah, Holden McGroin, Renton
2 - sammynb, @yourservice

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of Happy Face's hoodoo we're going to beat these rugby loving tramps by over 4 goals to their 0, I'm going to be like Connor McGregor and say they wont get a shot on target and we'll be 3 up by half time. Basing all of this on abso-fucking-lutely nothing.

For those who matter;

Apparently beIN Sports is showing the match with a 2 hour delay both on TV and online with beIN Sports Connect.

However, it is being shown live on another online channel via beIN Sports Connect.

For me in California there are 10 online channels with beIN Sports Connect and the live Wigan game is on channel 4.

For those who matter;

Apparently beIN Sports is showing the match with a 2 hour delay both on TV and online with beIN Sports Connect.

However, it is being shown live on another online channel via beIN Sports Connect.

For me in California there are 10 online channels with beIN Sports Connect and the live Wigan game is on channel 4.

You're in California?  Holy cow I'm only roughly 2600 miles away from you!

Think we'll win this fairly comfortably. Seems like we're primed and ready for the 'better' sides at home and away games. It's just some of the home games against poorer sides where we've appeared complacent. 

That said, Wigan have only lost two games by more than one goal this season. Actually scoring seems to be their problem - lowest goals for in the division. I can only remember us winning here once through their whole PL stay. Was it Lovenkrands who scored not long after Pardew took over?

Wigan are 23rd in the league, worst attack in the division but a stingy defence. Only beaten Wolves and Blackburn at home so far. They don't often get spanked*, with only Reading beating them by more than 1 goal. Two of them came in the first 5 minutes.

CzeckDQWQAA9GnJ.jpg

*I'm going to have to change my prediction from 4+ - 0  :D

For those who matter;

It's live here in Australia, 0640

I'll take another one for the team.

Dumpsters 0 - 2 Derriere sniffing egg chaser wannabes

Wigan are 23rd in the league, worst attack in the division but a stingy defence. Only beaten Wolves and Blackburn at home so far. They don't often get spanked*, with only Reading beating them by more than 1 goal. Two of them came in the first 5 minutes.

*I'm going to have to change my prediction from 4+ - 0   :D

They've got a similar sort of goals allowed as Reading, QPR, Birmingham, Preston, and Ipswich (if you take out the heavy spanking we doled all of those teams), I don't think their defence is any better than any of the ones we have faced so far tbh. Of course I'm not saying 100% we will spank them but I really don't see Wigan's defence stopping our lot if they're in similar form to the weekend.

They've got a similar sort of goals allowed as Reading, QPR, Birmingham, Preston, and Ipswich (if you take out the heavy spanking we doled all of those teams), I don't think their defence is any better than any of the ones we have faced so far tbh. Of course I'm not saying 100% we will spank them but I really don't see Wigan's defence stopping our lot if they're in similar form to the weekend.

Goals allowed?  I didn't know you were American.

Against then :P

I just think defensive record doesn't show much as I really do think players like Shelvey, Gayle, Ritchie, Hayden, and a few others are the best in the league in their positions so it's hard to work out how a defence will do against that lot. It all just depends on how up for the match/complacent our lot are.

Against then :P

I just think defensive record doesn't show much as I really do think players like Shelvey, Gayle, Ritchie, Hayden, and a few others are the best in the league in their positions so it's hard to work out how a defence will do against that lot. It all just depends on how up for the match/complacent our lot are.

My father has said a few times that he doesn't care what a teams record against the rest of the league is like, because playing the rest of the league isn't the same as playing us.  While that can come accross as arrogant, I think it's pretty much spot on.  Birmingham had been playing well but we completely outclassed them on Saturday.

They do, but by virtue of losing more games than those teams. The 5 you've mentioned have lost by more than one goal the following number of times. 

Birmingham 5

Ipswich 3

Preston 1

QPR 4

Reading 4

Wigan have played all of the "big" sides in the Championship and met some of the form teams when they were in their pomp (including Villa) and have only lost by more than one goal, once.

Says to me, as good as we are, they're not going to roll over and show their belly. It'll be closer than you think.

Edited by The Fish

My father has said a few times that he doesn't care what a teams record against the rest of the league is like, because playing the rest of the league isn't the same as playing us.  While that can come accross as arrogant, I think it's pretty much spot on.  Birmingham had been playing well but we completely outclassed them on Saturday.

Sums up my feelings on it, our squad is littered with players that would walk into any other side in the league. It is arrogant to a degree aye but as you say it's hard to disagree with (hence the constant moans of rival sides saying we've bought the league), I don't for one second think this squad will walk into the PL and charge right up it but it's different class in this league. Birmingham were 5th when we played them and we made them look like they were a League two side. 

As I say Wigan's defensive record is canny but we've scored 41 goals, more than 2 a game on average, and played most of the play off challenging sides. Your dad is spot on imo.

They do, but by virtue of losing more games than those teams. The 5 you've mentioned have lost by more than one goal the following number of times. 

Birmingham 5

Ipswich 3

Preston 1

QPR 4

Reading 4

Wigan have played all of the "big" sides in the Championship and met some of the form teams when they were in their pomp (including Villa) and have only lost by more than one goal, once.

Says to me, as good as we are, they're not going to roll over and show their belly. It'll be closer than you think.

That also means those sides have more clean sheets than Wigan I'm assuming. I'm not sure what keeping within 1 goal proves defensively but they've conceded at least 2 goals in 7 games against sides who are far less threatening in attack than our lot. I don't think they will roll over, that I suppose is what the lack of losing by more than 1 goal really shows, but they've not come up against what is basically a Premier League attack and if our lot aren't complacent and are in form I see no reason we couldn't beat them by 3 or more goals regardless of their defensive record.

It's all just guesswork at the end of the day, what I'm really saying is what DK said his dad is saying, teams records in this league don't really count for a great deal until they play us look at the reaction of the Ipswich manager after we showed them up. Maybe we will scrape by but after seeing how we ripped apart a Birmingham side who were 5th in the league and before the last two games had only let in 19 goals (22 if you only take out our game), I'm not going to give the rugby loving tramps any credit whatsoever until they actually stop us.