Dummettgate.

The Fish

Contract is up in the summer, he's been consistent and although he certainly has limitations his professionalism and commitment has been exemplary. 

He's solid if unspectacular, can play left back or centre back, isn't one to disrupt the dressing room and has been loyal to the club.

Would you offer him a new deal, even though it's unlikely that he'll be our 1st choice left back in the Premier League?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus I think when someone's come through the ranks etc. they're more likely to be loyal, have an affinity with the club, etc. and be reasonably happy just being cover.

He isn't good enough for PL. Is it worth keeping him just for cover as an okay option or would we be better giving youth a chance in Mbabu? Or maybe Gamez will prove to be a more capable backup solution at LB. We've a fair bit of cover already at CB and may well bring in a new first choice CB in the summer.

He isn't good enough for PL. Is it worth keeping him just for cover as an okay option or would we be better giving youth a chance in Mbabu? Or maybe Gamez will prove to be a more capable backup solution at LB. We've a fair bit of cover already at CB and may well bring in a new first choice CB in the summer.

Gamez will be 32 next season and hasn't actually managed much play time this year, doubt he'll be up to the pace of the premier league.

He's also a right back naturally I think? As is Mbabu.

Both can play either side.

With Gamez I don't know what sort of a character he is. Whether his age or experience can help in the dressing room? Either way, they're both under contract to us next season as things stand.

He's a far better cover for LB than M'babu on account of him being available to play which after a few years, M'babu rarely is, you can put Aarons in the same category albeit a different position. Rafa will know who he wants, who is reliable, available etc and have a plan when/if we go up and Dummett might not be in it. I'll basically go with Rafa's take on it when the time comes. ;)

I'm not all that arsed, as others have said if we were to keep him I hope it's only as back up at PL level as for me he's pretty poor in that division. If we wanted to get rid I'd prefer us to offload him to dipshit Pardew in January so we could start giving his replacement (which I assume is Lazaar who I am starting to think was bought for the PL anyway) time to settle into the role.

He's 25, he's not great, he won't demanding a big wage, and we'd be foolish to let him go for nowt. Give him another contract, but if a Championship/Lower Prem club bids for him, I'd not be bothered about losing him.

Squad player at best, when we are promoted he's not good enough to start in the top flight as was proved last season.

Most players looked shit under McClaren, to be fair.

I just don't rate him really, a good mate of mine thinks he's a cracking defender. We come to blows over it now and again, then have a shot of tequila and crack on with the day.

That is an early start on the tequila :good:

I think he's a bit shit, I think he's slow for a fullback and he offers very little going forward (which is poor for a modern fullback). But Last season, everyone looked a bit cack, and while the drop in qulaity of opposition is definitely a bug factor, the stuff they're making look simple now was beyond them under Tufty McTwatface.

Would he go for nothing as he came through the academy?

Personally I think he's clearly not up to the premier league even as back up.  The fact that he's been ok in the championship alongside players who are too good for this league doesn't change anything for me.  If we go up we need a new left back as things stand.  After more games Lazaar might show that he's good enough but he's yet to convince.  Maybe given the fact that his contract has years left on it, we should keep him as the backup and look for another first choice?

I don't buy the centreback thing for Dummett either.  He's played there a handful of times and didn't look as totally out of depth as he did in his preferred position on those few occasions.  But that doesn't to me mean he has any long term future there.  He certainly never looked as good as Lascelles, Mbemba or Clark there.

The only argument to keep him imo is that he's cheap and not any bother.  But no one would actually want him in the team.  Our backup should be (as it is in most positions this season) someone who you think could challenge for a starting berth.   It's a shame, because it's nice to see local lads come through the ranks a really make it, but he cannot push for a starting berth in the premier league unless we want to go back to the previous two or three seasons.

Dummett's contract isn't up in the summer at all. Did he not sign a new long-term deal just after Rafa took over? Either that or the deal he previously signed had the option to go to six years.

Dummett's contract isn't up in the summer at all. Did he not sign a new long-term deal just after Rafa took over? Either that or the deal he previously signed had the option to go to six years.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Up your fucking game Fish!

:lol: :lol: :lol: