"The War On Drugs"

Anorthernsoul

Yeah no problem.

I'm Bipolar II, Mixed Affective, though the particular strain probably means nothing to most people.

What are the symptoms? Feeling really good and then on other days really down?

I had Salvia once, a truly mental experience that I doubt I'll ever dabble in again. I enjoyed it for the most part but it's just very, very intense and weird. Not something someone with underlying mental issues should be ingesting.

To add to that I'm not an expert but common sense tells me to advise against any psychoactive substance use for anyone with underlying mental issues, in the long run surely it will just compound the condition. I do believe in MDMA in certain medicine though, purely down to the serotonin factor.

To add to that I'm not an expert but common sense tells me to advise against any psychoactive substance use for anyone with underlying mental issues, in the long run surely it will just compound the condition. I do believe in MDMA in certain medicine though, purely down to the serotonin factor.

Acid is tricky and toxic even in small doses. MDMA imo used occasionally/ during depressed states would I imagine be safer. If one must trial acid type psychoactives I found shrooms much more organic an experience and definitely 'healthier'. There was never a background anxiety with the mushrooms (in a tea) or any kind of curtain twitching paranoia. However there is evidence from the 60's that high doses of LSD had beneficial effects on schizophrenics but I have no idea how that works as we now know it can be a major contributor to the condition.

What are the symptoms? Feeling really good and then on other days really down?

I didn't know you were a medical man, Parky.  You've really got to the crux of the illness there. ;)

Actually no, though.  I rarely get any kind of pure depression (or the opposite).  I get mixed episodes of both (hypo)mania and depression together.  So more like constant negative rushing spiraling thoughts.  It's more likely to present as irritability/anger from the outside.

I didn't know you were a medical man, Parky.  You've really got to the crux of the illness there. ;)

Actually no, though.  I rarely get any kind of pure depression (or the opposite).  I get mixed episodes of both (hypo)mania and depression together.  So more like constant negative rushing spiraling thoughts.  It's more likely to present as irritability/anger from the outside.

Can you think back to when it first started or does it feel like it's always been there?

Under pressure I get very self-critical which can result in spiraling thoughts and can be set off by the smallest thing...The mind shoots off into the past and starts matching with other similar events, a nagging self doubt creeps in.

I find a brisk walk or other exercise releases counter chemicals in the brain.

The half hour or so just after you first wake is the time to program yourself for the day. The brain hasn't had time for any mischief and is still half asleep. In these moments I meditate a bit on what is important and do a mental handshake with my core self.

"I find a brisk walk or other exercise releases counter chemicals in the brain".

:lol:

Sorry, I know Parky means well, but I'd hesitate to think that a short walk in the park is curative for an imbalance of brain neurotransmitters.

I had Salvia once, a truly mental experience that I doubt I'll ever dabble in again. I enjoyed it for the most part but it's just very, very intense and weird. Not something someone with underlying mental issues should be ingesting.

Salvia is filthy stuff like.

"I find a brisk walk or other exercise releases counter chemicals in the brain".

:lol:

Sorry, I know Parky means well, but I'd hesitate to think that a short walk in the park is curative for an imbalance of brain neurotransmitters.

Yeah I can see how that might have come across. :lol:

Ronaldo!!!!1 

I'm sure adios has many coping mechanism and strategies.

Can you think back to when it first started or does it feel like it's always been there?

Under pressure I get very self-critical which can result in spiraling thoughts and can be set off by the smallest thing...The mind shoots off into the past and starts matching with other similar events, a nagging self doubt creeps in.

I find a brisk walk or other exercise releases counter chemicals in the brain.

The half hour or so just after you first wake is the time to program yourself for the day. The brain hasn't had time for any mischief and is still half asleep. In these moments I meditate a bit on what is important and do a mental handshake with my core self.

You're right on several fronts here.  I would say that regular meditation, sleep hygiene, moderate exercise and diet are at least as important collectively as medication.

We are, as a society, extremely overmedicated in the west.  And I would highly recommend exploring all other options available to people (as long as it's not life-or-death) before going the medical route.  There's plenty of downsides to medicating.

Having said that, I wish someone had recognised and medicated my condition at 15.  I spent a long time searching for answers, self-medicating, and ultimately living like a monk for a year before I accepted that maybe I needed to look into medication.  My life has probably been dramatically worse than it needed to be due to attitudes to mental illness back then, and to a lesser extent now.

I think what you're experiencing here is called something like the fallacy of the beard.  Basically you're seeing something that exists on a broad spectrum as the same thing because we don't really have a way to accurately measure the levels being experienced.

Let's talk about it in simpler terms.  Some type II diabetics (who are still producing some insulin) could survive by adapting their diet and exercising, but they ultimately "choose" to enjoy their food and life the way they want to and take the pills/injections instead.  Some other type IIs get away with lifestyle improvements.  But there are also type I/plenty of type II diabetics who have to take insulin no matter how "good" they are.

As to how long I've been 'wrong in the head', it's complicated, but ultimately as long as I can remember.

Oh, and from the description of your own symptoms, I would highly recommend an immediate and heavy dose of ketamine.

My tricky period was 2009. I never went on any type of medication instead went for psychoanalysis (talking endless nonsense).

When I started meeting the analyst down the pub instead of 'in session' I realized I didn't need it anymore.

I had just worn myself down by taking on too many things. But quite a bit of it I did myself with sheer will power...I learned to laugh at myself...To project and diffuse situations that I didn't need to be a part of...That everyone is weak in some way or another..Nobody really knows what's going on and to move forward (think forward) as much as possible.

Getting into the countryside as much as possible made a massive difference. The City is just dissonance deep coded with psychological triggers and none of it has any permanence, it doesn't really speak to us, to what we are...The City now is just a boring tool.

The brain really is an old machine that is constantly trying to protect us and a lot of the time the Lion isn't really there... :)

Why I asked you if you could remember when you noticed it is that was the main thing that happened in the psych sessions. We kept going back in time and just by my posture changes she could see how honest I was being with myself...

Once we found out what it was we/ I could start to understand it and mange its footprint.

Edited by Park Life

My tricky period was 2009. I never went on any type of medication instead went for psychoanalysis (talking endless nonsense).

When I started meeting the analyst down the pub instead of 'in session' I realized I didn't need it anymore.

I had just worn myself down by taking on too many things. But quite a bit of it I did myself with sheer will power...I learned to laugh at myself...To project and diffuse situations that I didn't need to be a part of...That everyone is weak in some way or another..Nobody really knows what's going on and to move forward (think forward) as much as possible.

Getting into the countryside as much as possible made a massive difference. The City is just dissonance deep coded with psychological triggers and none of it has any permanence, it doesn't really speak to us, to what we are...The City now is just a boring tool.

The brain really is an old machine that is constantly trying to protect us and a lot of the time the Lion isn't really there... :)

Why I asked you if you could remember when you noticed it is that was the main thing that happened in the psych sessions. We kept going back in time and just by my posture changes she could see how honest I was being with myself...

Once we found out what it was we/ I could start to understand it and mange its footprint.

puff

Glad you found a way out.

You puff.