Burton Albion v Newcastle United - Sat 17th Dec @ 15:00

wykikitoon

Whats the score gonna be?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Newcastle break new ground on Saturday, with a first ever competitive game against Burton Albion and their senior debut at their Pirelli Stadium.*

Kick-off is at 3pm and United's 1,600 allocation of terrace and stand tickets is sold out, although the Brewers still had standing places for sale on Friday.

Capacity here is officially 6,912 (although additional media places may have reduced that) and to date their largest Championship crowd is the 6,746 who watched the visit of Derby County in August.

Saturday's attendance should be the smallest we've played a league game in front of since 5,872 saw us beaten 2-5 by Oxford United at the Manor Ground in February 1992. The smallest crowd in the 2009/10 Championship season was 8,921 at Scunthorpe. 

* The stadium was used to stage a reserve game against Aston Villa back in November 2013. 

Where: Pirelli Stadium DE13 0AR (6,912)

Nearest railway station: Burton-on-Trent (1.7 miles)

Return mileage from SJP: 343 miles

Founded in 1950, Albion were admitted to the Football League in 2010 and gained successive promotions in the last two seasons. 

Their ground opened in 2005 to replace the adjacent Eton Park, which was demolished to build houses on.

Betting: Coral are still offering 6/1 to new punters on Dwight Gayle being Championship top goalscorer this season [maximum £10 stake] online here)

Team: No new injuries, with Jesus Gamez and Rolando Aarons unavailable. News on Jack Colback and Grant Hanley's availability is awaited.

Depending on the outcome of next week's FA hearing, this could be the last time we see Jonjo Shelvey in action for some time.

Stats: Newcastle previously faced both Burton Swifts and Burton Wanderers in Football League matches in the 1890s, incurring their record loss of 0-9 on a visit to Wanderers back in April 1895.

That defeat took place at the Derby Turn ground, which no longer exists but occupied a site between Derby Road and the main railway line. This is on the route from the station to the current ground, with a Londis shop and office buildings now built close by.  

(The Swifts used to play at Peel Croft nearer to the centre of Burton and this is still in existence as the home of Burton Rugby Club).  

BAFC: The Brewers lost 0-1 at home to Huddersfield Town on Tuesday, meaning that it's now just one win for Nigel Clough in their last seven league games.

On home turf this season they've won five, drawn two and lost three: Bristol City, Brighton and Huddersfield leaving the Pirelli with all three points.

Some steadfast defending though has seen them concede just seven times at home - a record bettered only by Derby (5) and Brighton (6). We've let in 11.

Referee: Lee Probert - Select Group referee who was sidelined for the whole of the 2015/16 season through injury and has been confined to League One and Two games plus cup ties this season so far.

This will be his first scheduled Championship game of the season and we last had him for a 1-2 defeat away at QPR during May 2015.

UK TV: None

Overseas TV: None 

UK Radio: None

Local Radio: Live on BBC Radio Newcastle.

The official NUFC website now has free worldwide streaming of Radio Newcastle match commentaries.

Taken from.com

NUFC to Score
0 - @yourservice, Tom, David Kelly, sammynb
1 - Kevin Carr's Gloves, ChezGiven, LooneyToony
2 - wykikitoon, StoneColdStephenIreland, Dr Gloom
3 - ewerk, Rayvin, tooner, zico martin, The Fish, Andrew, Ant, MiddleAgeCool, OTF, Kitman, acrossthepond, ToonMarshy, Happy Face, scoobos
4+ - Howay, Monkeys Fist, Anorthernsoul, Dougle, strawb

NUFC to Concede
0 - wykikitoon, Howay, ewerk, Rayvin, tooner, Monkeys Fist, zico martin, The Fish, StoneColdStephenIreland, Andrew, Ant, Kitman, Kevin Carr's Gloves, Dougle, strawb, Happy Face, scoobos, LooneyToony
1 - Anorthernsoul, OTF, acrossthepond, ToonMarshy, David Kelly, ChezGiven
2 - MiddleAgeCool, @yourservice, Tom, Dr Gloom, sammynb
3 - 
4+ - 
Edited by Happy Face

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With that sort of match preview it will be an absolute travesty if you don't get football poster of the year.

Yup, concise and to the point. Fish, take note

i don't understand the obsession with the place. never been, but should be a good day out with an interesting selection of beer

I think it's just that they're newly promoted and the mackems consider them to have the shittest name and stature.

i don't understand the obsession with the place. never been, but should be a good day out with an interesting selection of beer

Aye always seemed weird to me, not sure why it was so hilarious that we'd play at what is more of a League one/two venue for one game, it's not like places like Bournemouth are on a par with other PL clubs. I'm not arsed if the ground is a complete hovel as long as we get the win, I'm sure they can finally appreciate that in the absolute state they're in at the minute.

The whole party season they were going to have really has turned to shit hasn't it? We were going to struggle and turn on Rafa whilst Big Sam was going to bring much needed stabilty and progress to the club. Look how that's turned out. I know a few decent mackems but I can't help laughing at all the tragic fans they have who basically define themselves and their club by us. That last bit is another reason why they're so fucking small time.

The whole party season they were going to have really has turned to shit hasn't it? We were going to struggle and turn on Rafa whilst Big Sam was going to bring much needed stabilty and progress to the club. Look how that's turned out. I know a few decent mackems but I can't help laughing at all the tragic fans they have who basically define themselves and their club by us. That last bit is another reason why they're so fucking small time.

:lol: 

Aye I was just on about this in the mackem thread, they were just as shit as us last season but they were actually happy and positive about it. They're so involved with trying to appear 'classier' than us that they wont take any sort of supporter action because that's "what maggie cunts do", so what is the drive for their chairman to ever do owt about their situation when the fans are happy surviving relegation by 1 point?

Stopped off there for an away game at Port Vale a few years ago. Never thought we'd end up playing them. :lol: a bus full of Villa fans turned up in the same bar as our two buses were in. Never seen a group of supporters look so sheepish going into a bar as they did.