Guardiola

Park Life

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he's struggling and tbf I'm kind of pleased about it. Sort of proves that the PL does have different requirements, and that not all styles are a good fit for tackling the different tactical strategies that other managers might employ. That said, he's hardly had time to put his stamp on the team in a meaningful sense. Next season will be the key thing IMO. 

PL is a lot quicker and has a lot of mistakes as a result in it rather tha the leagues he's used to.  He hasnt also walked into a team which already world class players all over.

I have to be fair enjoyed him.  He has defended his players and hates Stan Collymore :lol:

He never once imagined that Man City was a ready made club.

Have a read of the books by Marty Pernambuco and you'll get more of an idea about him.

Think the bloke is class in all honesty, don't know how you can say otherwise.

Needs some decent defenders mind as Stones was way down his list of choices.

PL is a lot quicker and has a lot of mistakes as a result in it rather tha the leagues he's used to. He hasnt also walked into a team which already world class players all over.

I have to be fair enjoyed him. He has defended his players and hates Stan Collymore :lol:

I'm not sure how you can say the Bundesliga isn't as fast paced as the Premier League.

I'm not sure how you can say the Bundesliga isn't as fast paced as the Premier League.

tbh I havent watched a load.

I like him.  I wasnt his biggest fan when watching from afar but since he's come here I've enjoyed his pre and post match interviews.

He never once imagined that Man City was a ready made club.

Have a read of the books by Marty Pernambuco and you'll get more of an idea about him.

Think the bloke is class in all honesty, don't know how you can say otherwise.

Needs some decent defenders mind as Stones was way down his list of choices.

Do you think he'll be a success here though? Conte seems to have gotten off to a better start even if you consider that the squads are of comparable strength.

Guardiola knows that the Premier League is different from the Bundesliga in numerous ways and he’s been very honest about this, talking openly before his debut match against Sunderland about how challenging it’s going to be to impose his ideology in a new, unfamiliar setting. His greatest challenge, however, lies in the quality of the competition in England and he’ll be facing many top-class teams led by outstanding coaches. You only have to hear some of the names (José Mourinho, Jürgen Klopp, Slaven Bilic, Claudio Ranieri, Ronald Koeman and Mauricio Pochettino) to know to expect superb football this year. And the talent isn’t limited to these ‘big name’coaches. In fact Pep may find his greatest challenger is Chelsea’s Antonio Conte. I remember asking him back in 2015 to name two coaches with the greatest potential and, without a second’s hesitation, he said, ‘Tuchel and Conte.’He sees a lot of himself in Conte: his passion, his aggression, work ethic and determination to have the ball as much as possible, the intensity of his game and his competitive drive. ‘Conte plays positional football too. It’s very different from my own but it’s a game of position and he does it very, very well.’In private, Pep’s gone as far as identifying Chelsea as one of the favourites to win the league this year. The team has a superb coach, excellent players, and a preferential calendar without any European competition and therefore lots and lots of time to concentrate on training and preparation for each game. He may well be proven wrong but before the league kicked off Pep certainly saw Conte as one of his biggest threats. And, to my mind, there’s another good reason to take the Italian very seriously: his playing model, like Mourinho’s, requires far less time to implement than Guardiola’s and we can therefore expect Chelsea to reach cruising speed long before Manchester City.

Do you think he'll be a success here though? Conte seems to have gotten off to a better start even if you consider that the squads are of comparable strength.

Have a read what I've posted.

Don't doubt that he'll succeed, but you probably won't see his Man City team at its best until the third year or so of his reign.

Have a read what I've posted.

Don't doubt that he'll succeed, but you probably won't see his Man City team at its best until the third year or so of his reign.

Thats the issue.  Will the gaffers wait that long.

The Bravo signing is a total fuck up and there's no getting around that. What is also pertinent is that, while the Bundesliga is a similar place to England, it completely lacks the propensity for things to go wildly tits up at a moments notice. Even the finest players in the league aren't immune when a random Northern Irish radgepacket decides to have the game of his life and leave your 35 million pound left back lying in a twisted heap. Or when three West Brom players go flying up for the same header and it miraculously pinballs in the net. Or when an opposition striker manages to instigate a pitch wide brawl that gets 4 people sent off.

What he can control is not playing a knackered, slow Kolarov at centre half in successive weeks as Hazard and Vardy dawdle past him and condemn you to consecutive defeats. That's not implementing a philosophy, that's just being backward

The Bravo signing is a total fuck up and there's no getting around that. What is also pertinent is that, while the Bundesliga is a similar place to England, it completely lacks the propensity for things to go wildly tits up at a moments notice. Even the finest players in the league aren't immune when a random Northern Irish radgepacket decides to have the game of his life and leave your 35 million pound left back lying in a twisted heap. Or when three West Brom players go flying up for the same header and it miraculously pinballs in the net. Or when an opposition striker manages to instigate a pitch wide brawl that gets 4 people sent off.

What he can control is not playing a knackered, slow Kolarov at centre half in successive weeks as Hazard and Vardy dawdle past him and condemn you to consecutive defeats. That's not implementing a philosophy, that's just being backward

Aye the Bravo thing is a mess and I think that coupled with that last sentence shows the arrogance of the bloke, that arrogance is often a real damper on his sides. He showed it when he decided Lahm was a CM, one of the best RB's in world football at the time and Pep decided he was now a CM and really after the reshuffling you have to think the outcome of that move often was dropping one of Bayern's talented CM's for Rafinha. He shows it with his dislike of strikers, basically selling off all of Bayern's until he was down to Lewandowski who he basically couldn't sell as he was scoring every week, he's showing it again this season with Aguero who he actually said something along the lines of he isn't doing enough after he scored a hat-trick.

The 3 at the back thing worked for him when he tried it in the Bundesliga against fast sides and he played Xabi Alonso in the middle with Alaba and Bernat flanking him, the fact he thought he could pull it off with John Stones in that Alonso role flanked by Zabaleta and Sagna is again arrogance and naivety. Massively overrating players due to them being calmer on the ball than other defensive players is a flaw as well, Stones is often a waste of space and as you've pointed out Bravo is shite that's basically 60m spunked between them two and he really only got them because he thought they'd maintain his passing from the back style under pressure.

I don't think he's a bad coach by any stretch, he's obviously talented but I think he's massively overrated and always thought he comes across as an arsehole. He took over an unbelievable squad at Barca, he managed them really well and implemented his system but even so the squad was immense (players like Yaya couldn't even get in the side ffs), Madrid were poor competition for most of it though and then when Mourinho took over and pushed them he jumped ship and took his hiatus. Maybe I'm being harsh on the bloke but that was how it looked to me. Then he took over what had really became the best squad in the world, they played phenomenal football to watch and, much to his chagrin, had just won a treble and honestly he made them far less entertaining to watch, I think he tore apart a lot of their cohesion as he moved on players like Kroos in order to bring in his sort of players like Thiago. Aye they won their league in quicker time but a lot of that was due to the mess of Dortmund after Bayern ripped their star players away.

As I say I don't deny he's a good coach but think he's overrated, there was a question after the Leicester game which bugged me and it was where a reporter asked something like "after the 6 straight wins we all thought your system was implemented but after that are you wondering how much longer is it going to take to get it implemented" so he's class and his system is fully implemented when they're winning but when they lose they just need more time for this system to be implemented, bollocks man.

I can't be arsed to respond to all of that as I disagree with pretty much everything you said, but an opinion is an opinion.

One thing though he bought Thiago when Kroos was there and it wasn't his decision to sell Kroos, the board did as they wouldn't agree to his wage demands, that Guardiola thought he was worse.

You also talk of lack of competition by Dortmund, yet their points total last season would have won the Bundesliga in about 45 out of the 55 seasons in the Bundesliga history.

I can't be arsed to respond to all of that as I disagree with pretty much everything you said, but an opinion is an opinion.

One thing though he bought Thiago when Kroos was there and it wasn't his decision to sell Kroos, the board did as they wouldn't agree to his wage demands, that Guardiola thought he was worse.

Aye that's it it's all opinion, I don't doubt he's a top manager I just at times think he gets massively overrated by the press the same way that blokes like Mourinho do. It works both ways mind as when these blokes go through bad spells the press jump on them as if they're horrific coaches (like Mourinho is getting at the moment to a degree). 

Aye that's it it's all opinion, I don't doubt he's a top manager I just at times think he gets massively overrated by the press the same way that blokes like Mourinho do. It works both ways mind as when these blokes go through bad spells the press jump on them as if they're horrific coaches (like Mourinho is getting at the moment to a degree).

:up:

You also talk of lack of competition by Dortmund, yet their points total last season would have won the Bundesliga in about 45 out of the 55 seasons in the Bundesliga history.

Fair enough I genuinely didn't know that was the case, I always just felt they'd dropped off a bit in some of the seasons following his arrival particularly following the loss of Lewandowski. Not taking away from him winning it as it's a very tough and competitive league and it was the first time I really thought he'd transfer over here as it's far similar than La Liga.

For what it's worth I think he will eventually take to the league I just get a bit annoyed by the media fawning over him when he arrived as if he was going to walk in and break every record going, and despite my other post being very negative about him it was just some things that I see as his failings (everyone has them) rather than trying to imply he's not one of the top coaches going. As you say me saying I preferred watching Heynckes' Bayern is all just opinion, I wasn't one of those that were 'bored' by his Barca side btw or by his Bayern side, I just preferred Heynckes' team.