Guardiola

Park Life

I think Pep clearly is a bit of a twat and I'd love to hear how he dealt with Joe Hart (not that I'm his biggest fan or anything). It seems like he decides on some players before he even arrives at the club.

But Eto'o seems like a bit of a troublemaker anyway there - he's moaning about Riijkard and Ronaldinho at the start of that segment. He jumped about quite a lot in the interview too, which made it hard to grasp exactly what he was trying to put across.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Sterling has been having a good season for them, 9 goals and 13 assists from 35 starts in all competitions is canny from the wing. Of course he's massively overpriced but it's not like it would have hurt Man City's transfer budget, if they wanted others they would have bought others as well.

The other two have been fucking shite mind, that Stones is all over the place at the minute and would have progressed better if he'd stayed at Everton. Obviously don't blame the lad for taking the money that was on the table as it wasn't long ago he was playing for Barnsley. He looked really solid when he was next to an experienced and composed CB like Jagielka but he's struggling now he's next to a group of shaky CB's with no one locking the position down really.

Pep needs to sort the GK situation out quickly as well, I know he wants a keeper that will play short passes under pressure but he should find one that can make saves as well.

He's blind to defensive frailty though. He's come out and blamed their attack for them going out. Their attack that scored six goals over two legs.

He has a touch of Keegan (as he was believed to be, at least) about him. Attacking relentlessly. I imagine City fans are loving the style but he's not going to win the CL that way, which is why this will end badly IMO.

True. I should clarify.

He won't win the CL with City while playing that way.

EDIT - FWIW I hope he doesn't change; they're a great side to watch at the moment.

Edited by Rayvin

Can't remember who said on the Guardian podcast this week that their defence is shite so they can't blame him for trying to be on the front foot, as there's no way that defence could sit deep constantly and absorb pressure.

I think they'll be buying a pair of full backs and at least one central defender in the summer.

I don't think he will full stop. He looks like this is already getting to him. If he wins the CL with City in the next couple of years then I'm happy to eat my words, but I suspect he'll fail because actually, he's not good enough to do it in the limited amount of time he'll get (and I question if he's mentally strong enough to stay long enough to do it also). Inherited great teams at Barcelona and Bayern and made them invincible. Takes a lot of skill to do that, but he's coming from much further back with City.

I was just stated the obvious to take the piss. Saying he won't win it with Man City isn't exactly a bold prediction though, is it? :razz:

I think Sterling has been having a good season for them, 9 goals and 13 assists from 35 starts in all competitions is canny from the wing. Of course he's massively overpriced but it's not like it would have hurt Man City's transfer budget, if they wanted others they would have bought others as well.

The other two have been fucking shite mind, that Stones is all over the place at the minute and would have progressed better if he'd stayed at Everton. Obviously don't blame the lad for taking the money that was on the table as it wasn't long ago he was playing for Barnsley. He looked really solid when he was next to an experienced and composed CB like Jagielka but he's struggling now he's next to a group of shaky CB's with no one locking the position down really.

Pep needs to sort the GK situation out quickly as well, I know he wants a keeper that will play short passes under pressure but he should find one that can make saves as well.

Sterling is alright against lower PL sides. He hasn't shown anything that makes me think he can do it against the cream of Europe.

I was just stated the obvious to take the piss. Saying he won't win it with Man City isn't exactly a bold prediction though, is it? :razz:

:lol: No, but it is what he was hired for.

Can't remember who said on the Guardian podcast this week that their defence is shite so they can't blame him for trying to be on the front foot, as there's no way that defence could sit deep constantly and absorb pressure.

I think they'll be buying a pair of full backs and at least one central defender in the summer.

150m earmarked for the summer. :D

Probably buy a load more overpriced shit. The actual players City need won't leave Tier One European clubs for a project that looks it might take 2/3 seasons.

There's not really that many elite level defenders about these days anyway.

I don't see either of Bonucci or Chiellini leaving Juventus or Boateng leaving Bayern.

You're having to take a gamble by spunking 50 million on somebody like Laporte.

There's not really that many elite level defenders about these days anyway.

I don't see either of Bonucci or Chiellini leaving Juventus or Boateng leaving Bayern.

You're having to take a gamble by spunking 50 million on somebody like Laporte.

Will never forget that 50 yard pass for Italy.

Aye the lack of really top level defenders is an issue for him tbh. He obviously had a fantastic attack at Barca and Bayern but they also had defenders like Pique, Abidal, Mascherano, Boateng, Lahm, Alaba, etc, with Xabi Alonso and Busquets covering.

Man City don't have anything close to that and as Tooj said there's a bit of a dearth of defenders (especially CB's) at the minute so they're going to have to gamble, which is what Man City have been doing but obviously nowt is paying off for them as Mangala, Stones, Otamendi, etc have all come in for big fees and have been shaky. He'll figure it out if he hangs about long enough (and is given the time obviously) as either he'll manage to get one of those rare top defenders in or one of their gambles will pay off.

Sterling is alright against lower PL sides. He hasn't shown anything that makes me think he can do it against the cream of Europe.

I guess, he's still young mind and he's still very new to those level of games. I think he's one of the more improved players under Guardiola so far at Man City, he seems to be a bit more focused under him.

I guess, he's still young mind and he's still very new to those level of games. I think he's one of the more improved players under Guardiola so far at Man City, he seems to be a bit more focused under him.

Not a bad little player and has improved as you say. But 49m? That's the kind of money you pay for a Tier One proven German or French international. This is one of their problems as soon as they show and interest in a player the prices are hiked. The much lauded, vaunted 'Barca' style youth system in place for nearly a decade hasn't really produced anything either.

Not a bad little player and has improved as you say. But 49m? That's the kind of money you pay for a Tier One proven German or French international. This is one of their problems as soon as they show and interest in a player the prices are hiked. The much lauded, vaunted 'Barca' style youth system in place for nearly a decade hasn't really produced anything either.

Aye I agree fully he's not worth anywhere near 49m, as you say that's finished product money and he's miles from that. I was more just meaning it's not really denting Man City's resources overpaying like that. Yeah the Man City academy isn't producing much so far, Iheanacho looks good but I think he joined at like 17 so it's a little bit of a stretch to count him, they have a few Spanish lads that are meant to be decent but they have the Chelsea issue of not really giving their kids a chance as they can just go out and buy who they want. I'd imagine Guardiola is keen to bring youth through but he might struggle to do it if he's feeling pressure from the owners and the media ridiculousness.

Edited by Howay

Aye I agree fully he's not worth anywhere near 49m, as you say that's finished product money and he's miles from that. I was more just meaning it's not really denting Man City's resources overpaying like that. Yeah the Man City academy isn't producing much so far, Iheanacho looks good but I think he joined at like 17 so it's a little bit of a stretch to count him, they have a few Spanish lads that are meant to be decent but they have the Chelsea issue of not really giving their kids a chance as they can just go out and buy who they want. I'd imagine Guardiola is keen to bring youth through but he might struggle to do it if he's feeling pressure from the owners and the media ridiculousness.

Seen reports that the Man City academy have almost a monopoly on young talent in their catchment area, even Manchester United players are sending their kids to the blue half of the city for training.