Your thoughts on the Royal Family and the presence of aristocracy in modern society

Anorthernsoul

Reckon we can fit "According to Republic, a group which campaigns for a democratic alternative to the Monarchy, the true cost of the Monarchy to the British taxpayer is actually £334 million a year - let's fund our NHS instead" onto the side of a bus?

Kick them out of all those residences and take the tourism money and invest it in the country. Get them to pay real tax on the other land and Crown estate stuff. Make Charles dress like a rasta.

Edited by Park Life

Republican all the way. See no point in them, despise the notion surrounding royalty and consider them to be an anachronism.

This. A medieval institution that has no place in the modern world.

They're pretty low down my list of things to be aggrieved about. Compared to the the road this generation of politicians are leading us down or the goings on in the massive tax haven that is the city of London they barely register tbh. My thing is what and/or who do you replace them with? Who the fuck in public life do you vote to be president? Most are as bad or in a lot of cases fully worse than the scots/German scroungers.

They're pretty low down my list of things to be aggrieved about. Compared to the the road this generation of politicians are leading us down or the goings on in the massive tax haven that is the city of London they barely register tbh. My thing is what and/or who do you replace them with? Who the fuck in public life do you vote to be president? Most are as bad or in a lot of cases fully worse than the scots/German scroungers.

A lot of the problems with the city like networks built on the old school tie are all part of the the same problem - deference to inherited wealth and privilege.

You didn't go as far as the usual cliche in suggesting a president Blair or Thatcher but there are countries which do ceremonial heads on state with a decent level of dignity like Ireland and Germany. I accept it would be a shit show here to some degree but it would still be better imo.

Don't mind some of them as individuals but hate the institution. It represent loads of the things wrong with this country. One thing I would say is compare them to politicians, ie the ones who actually lead us into conflicts. They wouldn't let their bairns anywhere near the armed forces

A lot of the problems with the city like networks built on the old school tie are all part of the the same problem - deference to inherited wealth and privilege.

You didn't go as far as the usual cliche in suggesting a president Blair or Thatcher but there are countries which do ceremonial heads on state with a decent level of dignity like Ireland and Germany. I accept it would be a shit show here to some degree but it would still be better imo.

Am sure there's still an element of old money patronage in the col but I don't see much evidence of it nowadays in the work of JP Morgan or Goldman Sachs, regardless of their histories or origins. I'm at a loss to suggest who would make a good ceremonial president for the UK. I used to go out with a staunch Australian republican and she said every single person born in oz should be able to conceivably become president if they didn't have the queen as head of state. I asked her who would get her vote and she said the cricketer Mark Taylor :lol: I racked my brains for his uk equivalent and all I could come up with was Sir Stephen Redgrave...that was a few years back but I can't think of anyone else who appears to be a better candidate. Over to you :D

Don't mind some of them as individuals but hate the institution. It represent loads of the things wrong with this country. One thing I would say is compare them to politicians, ie the ones who actually lead us into conflicts. They wouldn't let their bairns anywhere near the armed forces

It's just so they can wear all their medals at weddings and that. I can't imagine Wills and Harry were ever anywhere near any frontline danger

Am sure there's still an element of old money patronage in the col but I don't see much evidence of it nowadays in the work of JP Morgan or Goldman Sachs, regardless of their histories or origins. I'm at a loss to suggest who would make a good ceremonial president for the UK. I used to go out with a staunch Australian republican and she said every single person born in oz should be able to conceivably become president if they didn't have the queen as head of state. I asked her who would get her vote and she said the cricketer Mark Taylor [emoji38] I racked my brains for his uk equivalent and all I could come up with was Sir Stephen Redgrave...that was a few years back but I can't think of anyone else who appears to be a better candidate. Over to you :D

Pure modern banking has opened up a bit but there's a lot of the surrounding stuff like the stockbrokers, private banking and legal side of things which is very much old school.

Stephen Hawking or Ozzy Osborne :)