Blackburn

Andrew

Goals? I hear goals?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing I can think why Mitrovic hasn't been starting ( not on the bench today ) is maybe's there's already a done deal on him by one of the Premiership clubs that have been sniffing around for him. This is his playing time for the last 5 games

Forest (a) 3 minutes

Birmingham 11 minutes

Sheffield Wed 10 minutes

Forest (h) 2 minutes

Blackburn Not in squad

It does seem odd with mitrovic. When he had that brief run of games he scored and looked decent.

I think I'd be more worried about the defeats if we were also drawing more but we've won more league games than any other club in the top divisions. Keep that win percentage up and we'll go up. Hopefully this is just a hiccup. Bit annoying that the teams around us keep winning. Rafa's selections do deserve some criticism as we're carrying the likes of colback, Anita and dummet.

The only creative player we had in our team today was Ritchie. Both fullbacks are defensive as well as the the centre mids. Gouffran doesn't really do anything and Diame is more a powerful runner through the middle. We need more than that in our starting line up.

I wish Rafa would set us up with a bit of confidence and swagger and put out a team to beat the opposition and try to batter them not to try and out tactic them as 7 defeats shows there are flaws in the team setup even though I know we've had a load of wins too.

The only thing I can think why Mitrovic hasn't been starting ( not on the bench today ) is maybe's there's already a done deal on him by one of the Premiership clubs that have been sniffing around for him. This is his playing time for the last 5 games

Forest (a) 3 minutes

Birmingham 11 minutes

Sheffield Wed 10 minutes

Forest (h) 2 minutes

Blackburn Not in squad

https://twitter.com/bigchrisholt/status/816007000836505601

I think Rafa is shit hot on discipline. Mitro was punished for indiscipline early in the season, not starting games. Or was told that was why, even if Rafa just didn't fancy him. When he got a chance he was more careful. No red cards, relatively few yellow. I wonder if not starting him since his last dreadful start has been a long term strategy to teach another valuable lesson, because we did well in games with him starting, or whether he's finished with him altogether.

Might be reading too much into it and rafa might just have preferred Murphy to get his legs stretched.

I think we saw it again today with colback coming off minutes after his fuck up gifting them a dangerous free kick. 75 minutes without sight of goal for Blackburn. Colback gives them it, they score, he's dragged off. Discipline.

He mixes it up though. Dummet had a particularly shite game early in the season and to everyone's chagrin he was made captain for the next game.

I suppose this is what man management is all about judging how to get the maximum from individuals based on what they respond to. Another chance or a month in the hole.

The only creative player we had in our team today was Ritchie. Both fullbacks are defensive as well as the the centre mids. Gouffran doesn't really do anything and Diame is more a powerful runner through the middle. We need more than that in our starting line up.

I wish Rafa would set us up with a bit of confidence and swagger and put out a team to beat the opposition and try to batter them not to try and out tactic them as 7 defeats shows there are flaws in the team setup even though I know we've had a load of wins too.

NUFC are the biggest scorers in England :D

NUFC are the biggest scorers in England :D

The sticking point for us is that first goal, teams are setting up to spoil against us. When we score first we generally go on to win, usually by a couple of goals as the other team is forced to open up a bit more to chase the game.

We've generally lost every game we didn't get the first goal and won every game in which we did (aside from the Notts Forest aberration and our only draw), our main issue imo is creating chances against teams looking to spoil and it's no shock at all that we've seen poor results and games in the matches Shelvey has missed over the xmas period. If we had scored first half against Blackburn we'd have went on to win by a healthy margin like we did against Forest, as naturally when our opponents open up a little we create more regular good scoring chances. 

That's why I think we'll go up as like Dickie says we're the best side in the league, the issue is trying to make sure we have more outlets and more options for creating good scoring chances against sides looking to stifle. We got a lot of shots today but we didn't really create many proper goal scoring chances and the keeper done a good job against the 3 he really faced. 

If teams played us like they played Reading and Brighton the table would look very different as games like today and Sheff Wed would have been comfortable wins. It's the problem Guardiola was moaning about in regards to Man City, you plan for a team to play a certain way and then they throw that right out the window put 10 men behind the ball and look to counter, of course it's Rafa and the teams responsibility to figure out how to break teams down and without Shelvey's creativity they've become fairly predictable, I don't blame sides for playing this way against us.

Edited by Howay

Are you disagreeing?

There's a massive world outside of one up front, cunt needs to adapt. Could cost us this season.

Yes, I disagree. Saying he needs to adapt to the league is knicker wetting knee jerk bollocks and misses the point hugely given our league position. Not suggesting there aren't issues or things that need sorting. But hasn't the preceading 3 months given the manager a bit of fuckin leeway seeing as we've been top of the league for most of that time and he's shown that he adapted pretty fuckin quickly?

We're about as consistent as the rest of the league, biizzarrely we're going 6 matches or so and winning them all then losing rather than drawing a couple. If teams sit deep we don't seem to be able to break them down. If we can see these things am fuckin sure the man who won the champions league can. We're not managed by Pardew or Carver or McLaren any more. I'm suggesting we try to show a bit of faith in Rafa. That means not calling him a cunt.

Rafa will keep his head while all those around him lose theirs.

When you're having 5 times as many attempts as the oppositions, 5 times as many on target and dominating possession to the extent we did, you've done enough that you should have won.

We've said it before on here that the system isn't just about winning the league, it's about getting promoted with the same system we will use when we are in the top flight, rather than chopping and changing ethos. Drilling a team in a system for the long term.

Yesterday was frustrating as hell but PL and HF make fair points. Its been clear from day 1 Rafa is here for a long term project so you expect him to be working along those lines. Lets not forget how bad this lot were last year. We've got some very very ordinary players (evident even in this league) and were it not for the Spaniard in charge how many of us would have backed us for a top 2 finish at the end of last season?

Rafa will keep his head while all those around him lose theirs.

When you're having 5 times as many attempts as the oppositions, 5 times as many on target and dominating possession to the extent we did, you've done enough that you should have won.

We've said it before on here that the system isn't just about winning the league, it's about getting promoted with the same system we will use when we are in the top flight, rather than chopping and changing ethos. Drilling a team in a system for the long term.

Aye that's fine, but if you're trying the same key in the same lock for 60 minutes, perhaps it's not a bad idea to, on this occasion, try a different approach?

Even earlier substitutions into the same system? What was Gouffran doing to retain his place on the pitch for 85 minutes? We were well on top around the hour mark, so the risk that Atsu's introduction would unsettle us wasn't high. They reshuffled, bringing Evans on and firming up their centre, but weakening their flank. Lowe was already on a yellow, get someone like Atsu running at him and at worst Lowe would be reticent to dive in, at best Blackburn have to play a significant portion of the game down to 10 men. 

Rafa has us 2nd, he's got us scoring goals and conceding few, but he can still be criticised for getting things wrong. Failing to make changes earlier has cost us points a couple of times this season and he should be called out for it.

Aye that's fine, but if you're trying the same key in the same lock for 60 minutes, perhaps it's not a bad idea to, on this occasion, try a different approach?

Even earlier substitutions into the same system? What was Gouffran doing to retain his place on the pitch for 85 minutes? We were well on top around the hour mark, so the risk that Atsu's introduction would unsettle us wasn't high. They reshuffled, bringing Evans on and firming up their centre, but weakening their flank. Lowe was already on a yellow, get someone like Atsu running at him and at worst Lowe would be reticent to dive in, at best Blackburn have to play a significant portion of the game down to 10 men. 

Rafa has us 2nd, he's got us scoring goals and conceding few, but he can still be criticised for getting things wrong. Failing to make changes earlier has cost us points a couple of times this season and he should be called out for it.

Exactly. The commentator hit the nail on the head yesterday when he mentioned Blackburn watching a video of the Wolves home game before their win at SJP,  with the lack of versatility in the system teams we are up against know exactly how we will play and set up for it. We've lost 6 games this season to average opposition, all because they know how we will play, weeks before the game. If we go a goal down we don't look like ever pulling it back as he seems to lack the ability to spot the weakness and deal with it, if you don't find it a problem then you need to lay off the crackpipe.

Exactly. The commentator hit the nail on the head yesterday when he mentioned Blackburn watching a video of the Wolves home game before their win at SJP,  with the lack of versatility in the system teams we are up against know exactly how we will play and set up for it. We've lost 6 games this season to average opposition, all because they know how we will play, weeks before the game. If we go a goal down we don't look like ever pulling it back as he seems to lack the ability to spot the weakness and deal with it, if you don't find it a problem then you need to lay off the crackpipe.

No exotic substances needed my dear old thing, unbelievably I've seen us have bad runs of form in amongst generally very good seasons before. I'm used to the ups and downs of a season. I just don't start calling the eminently well qualified manager a cunt because we're in a bad run. If you start that sort of shit you leave yourself open to every prejudice,criticism and cliche about Newcastle United supporters in general that circulate around like a bad smell. But it's a free country so go ahead :)