Blackburn

Andrew

Goals? I hear goals?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he doesn't want to drop Diame back and play Mitro then what's wrong in putting Anita in CM and Yedlin at RB?

Watching that tackle by Colback just makes me angry. Like fucking Boris Johnsons tackle in that charity game

Anita being one of the worst central midfielders I've seen for us would be my problem with putting him in there.  He's no better than Colback and people seem to have forgotten that because he's been doing a good job at fullback.

We just have to get through the next couple of games and get Shelvey back.  Hopefully with another signing or two to help him out.  

The league looks slippery when you see that both Brighton & Reading have a game in hand on us, no so much when you realise it's against each other.

There isn't a poor result for us from that game in hand.

Bad result is Reading winning to be honest - Brighton are going up regardless so not fussed about them. All about Reading and Huddersfield tbh.

Bad result is Reading winning to be honest - Brighton are going up regardless so not fussed about them. All about Reading and Huddersfield tbh.

Why do you seem more confident in Brighton's ascension than ours?

Next 3 Championship games for us

Brentford (a)

Rotherham (h)

Brighton (a)

Obviously we've the FA Cup game against Birmingham at the weekend does that count as one of Shelvey's banned games if so he should be eligible for the Brighton game ?

Points obviously trump amount of losses but its a worry we lose so many games rather than grinding out a few draws.

It appears if a team gets their tactics right then they can take all 3 points off us.

I am a bit concerned that Rafa doesn't seem to have worked out another way for us to get wins in the sort of games we've managed to lose.  Although I don't really think yesterday was one of those games as we created more than enough chances to have won it, it was just one of those days we couldn't (fairly) put the ball in the back of the net.

Next 3 Championship games for us

Brentford (a)

Rotherham (h)

Brighton (a)

Obviously we've the FA Cup game against Birmingham at the weekend does that count as one of Shelvey's banned games if so he should be eligible for the Brighton game ?

Yes

Did someone mention turning games around after going behind?

We've drawn one and lost one where we scored first.  Winning 17.  Which is brilliant.

We've lost all 6 games that we conceded in first.

Rafa gave us the fight to come from behind against Liverpool, Man City and the Mackems, 3 out of 10 games, when he had us in the Premier League.  I suppose the rearguard action is more pronounced in this division when a team takes the lead against us.

Did someone mention turning games around after going behind?

We've drawn one and lost one where we scored first.  Winning 17.  Which is brilliant.

We've lost all 6 games that we conceded in first.

Rafa gave us the fight to come from behind against Liverpool, Man City and the Mackems, 3 out of 10 games, when he had us in the Premier League.  I suppose the rearguard action is more pronounced in this division when a team takes the lead against us.

I mentioned earlier that we generally win when we score first but lose when we concede first, if that's the post you're thinking of.

I was making the point that getting plenty of goals isn't the problem for them it's getting the initial goal as when we get that teams open up and we (usually) go on to win by 2 or more, however if we concede teams sit deep or even deeper than they were and we can struggle. The problem we're facing is teams aren't playing us how they're playing each other (understandable mind) they're sitting deep and playing on the counter, even the higher sides are doing this, that's why I'd like to see us bring in some more creative players in this window to give us different options when we're hitting a wall in games.

Gouffran has been alright tbf though I'd still start atsu ahead of him. Colback, dummet and Anita are the three that need removing from the first team more urgently though

Colback needs to be replaced but honestly if anyone is to blame it is Shelvey and his attitude.

If he wasn't suspended for something stupid Colback would not be playing and there would be more creativity in the midfield.

This.  He probably should not have had his red card rescinded, because it was retaliation (as Rafa indicated), which would have meant him missing 8 games.  His discipline is atrocious, abusing team mates and the regular kicks out at opponents.  Colback is limited (to be kind), but Shelvey has the talent and needs to control himself better.

Having said that, we should not be so reliant on one player. 

Edited by RobinRobin

I don't  know why people are getting their knickers in a twist criticising Rafa over losses when it was clear things weren't working.

That's what happens and there is no one on here who hasn't said gayle up top on his own when he's getting muscled works well, we spent the Blackburn match crossing a ball in for that scenario

we have a £15m quid striker who has done well when he's played and is made for that, and it doesn't mean dropping gayle or playing 442, you can play 4411 still with mitro doing that hold up targetman job an drop diame or someone into cm instead of colback.

like it was posted at halftime in this match on here when we had something like "16 attempts" on goal, we really hadn't, calling 14 of those attempts was generous, we had maybe two ok/decent chances that was it, everything else was dealt with comfortably, possession doesn't mean dick when you can't do anything with it.

I haven't seen much in Mitrovic to suggest he's better at scoring from crosses than Gayle, despite his size. I think he has potential and I like his enthusiasm, and I hope he will develop into a target man one day (sooner rather than later), but at the moment he doesn't play like one at all. Gayle is the better at receiving the ball with his back to goal and holding onto it, even though he's smaller. Mitro really hasn't got the hang of hold-up play at all, but I think that often comes with experience for taller strikers (the likes of Quinn, Crouch etc, even Shola, got better at it in their late 20s and 30s as they worked out how to use their size). Mitro has scored goals to be fair to him, but from memory they've been similar to those that Gayle has scored - he's more of a like for like replacement at the moment as far as I can see, just slower and not as good.